Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VBCMS Comments

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Thank you too Zachery.

    It was such burden to stick with an issue.

    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Good to hear

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Mystics View Post
      I think this was done intentionally to "force" using the CMS for comments.

      showthread.php:
      Code:
      // CMS comment threads
      if ($thread['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($thread['forumid']))
      {
      	eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalid_comment_forum', $vbphrase['forum'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
      }
      forumdisplay.php:
      Code:
      // Don't allow access to anything below if an invalid $forumid was specified
      // Also, don't allow access to the CMS comment forum unless user is a moderator
      cache_moderators();
      if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] OR ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid'])))
      {
      	eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalidid', $vbphrase['forum'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
      }
      Hey vB! How about you let ME decide what is forced on my forums!



      Comment


      • #63
        Hmmmm, just did a test upgrade from 3.8.4 to 4.04 (using the very latest downloadable version) and got this exact error, even after stumbling my way through the different permission settings. Must say not overly impressed but am glad I put up a test site first so my users can find all these things before I go live with 4.04. I made the mods to the 2 files suggested earlier in this thread and it seems to have addressed the problem......
        vBulletin Owner since 2002!

        Comment


        • #64
          As I couldn't find any (???) bug reports about this, I have created one:
          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7766

          Comment


          • #65
            Hey everyone, if you don't like / don't want to code change the distrubtion files yourselves, this mod bypasses the problem, creates functionality that is superior to the current vbulletin methodology of handling article and blog comments, and is just a plug in solution!

            Vote on the associated bug tracker to help vbulletin prioritize this way to fix the original problem, that their "feature" of denying everyone the ability to post into an article, was meant to address, ie how to have folks comment on an article.

            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...95#post1997095

            Comment


            • #66
              I've seen a couple of bug reports about this. One is mine: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7585

              But you outlined the issue far better. Thanks. Its really so disturbing.

              Originally posted by Mystics View Post
              As I couldn't find any (???) bug reports about this, I have created one:
              http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7766

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by wcguy View Post
                Hey everyone, if you don't like / don't want to code change the distrubtion files yourselves, this mod bypasses the problem, creates functionality that is superior to the current vbulletin methodology of handling article and blog comments, and is just a plug in solution!

                Vote on the associated bug tracker to help vbulletin prioritize this way to fix the original problem, that their "feature" of denying everyone the ability to post into an article, was meant to address, ie how to have folks comment on an article.

                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...95#post1997095
                It hardly "denies everyone the ability to post into an article". It simply keeps them from posting them in the VBCMS forum. They can still post them in the article.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by speedway View Post
                  Hmmmm, just did a test upgrade from 3.8.4 to 4.04 (using the very latest downloadable version) and got this exact error, even after stumbling my way through the different permission settings. Must say not overly impressed but am glad I put up a test site first so my users can find all these things before I go live with 4.04. I made the mods to the 2 files suggested earlier in this thread and it seems to have addressed the problem......
                  Why would it bother you? This was actually a widely requested feature. Most of the folks that have a problem with it have members that got used to posting comments to articles in the VBCMS forum.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
                    Why would it bother you? This was actually a widely requested feature. Most of the folks that have a problem with it have members that got used to posting comments to articles in the VBCMS forum.
                    It may have been requested by some but there were some that wanted it to stay as it was. That plus not including this info in the release notes is a path to upset some people. Requested or not it needed to be in the release notes on this change and how to change it to keep what you already had. Or better yet have the ability in the admin panel to allow or not period. You can't givith then taketh away.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Charlie_Brown: I agree 100%. It's just that he's upgrading from 3.8.4 so it's not taking anything away from him. I understand the frustration if you're upgrading from an earlier version of 4.X and your users had been posting to the vbCMS. He never had it any other way, so it's not a change for him.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        It doesn't matter, really, because this is horrible functionality as it stands in 4.0.4....

                        As my post in suggestions shows, the default now will show the CMS article in the what's new results, but then will not allow anyone to click on the article to let them read or comment.

                        It just shows an error permission denied message, and no one, even a first timer who didn't know the previous funcitionality, should get that kind of message on a board. Rather than the user going,
                        "hmmmm. I just got a permission denied. I wonder if I should leave the forum, find the CMS home page, read the article, and then click on comments to be able to participate...."

                        Yeah, that's obvious. / end sarcasm

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I thought the only problem was with the widget displaying it and that got fixed. In the "what's new" and "new posts", yeah, that's not acceptable. It should never display anything from private forums to users without permission in those forums. In most cases, I don't even want them to know they exist.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Naked, if you set your permissions correctly they wouldn' be able to see that forum. The forum is still searchable, if you disable indexing of new posts on that forum in the admincp it should take care of users seeing them.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                              Naked, if you set your permissions correctly they wouldn't be able to see that forum. The forum is still searchable, if you disable indexing of new posts on that forum in the admincp it should take care of users seeing them.
                              I believe I have the permissions set correctly. Users cannot see the forum, but they still get it in "what's new" and new posts and if they click on it they get the error message.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	permissions2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	3679536Click image for larger version

Name:	permissions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	3679537

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Zach I hope you see I or we aren't really pissed but the lack of communication that this was done plus not having an opt in option to those that are used to this feature. To all the others it is simply a ghost to the reply section of CMS it isn't really taking up more hdd space using this like it was. Anyways I hope to see an opt in & opt out option later so I won't need to manually edit all the time.

                                @Nuke - I see now sorry about the confusion. Yes fresh upgrade from vb3 to vb4 there is/was no loss of functionality.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X