Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    I have to agree that all 4.x users are really guinea pigs for the 5.x end result. You are correct! Yer... I am still trying to get the exact process correct on a demo at present, ensuring everything is good before I actually apply it all to a live site.

Leave a comment:

• chewbacca
    replied
    If I wanted to adjust some color settings on the TV but could not, I would consider that TV faulty.
    Similarly, some people wanted to adjust image paths (or doctype, etc.) through stylevars but could not. It's the same to me.

However, the TV probably doesn't receive free upgrades from the manufacturer. I wouldn't demand a refund or anything for something like this, but the people who had such huge complaints should probably hold off on updating. Like another member posted, let the guinea pigs experience and/or fix the critical bugs first. Unfortunately I'm too trigger-happy on the "upgrading" too, so I'm a voluntary tester.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    I disagree with that actually.... buying a TV and it not working at all, that is faulty and requires either replacement or repair. Buying a TV and it not working as you thought, is your interpretation / expectation. Buying a TV that has a specification listed at point off sale, but doesn't exist when you get it home, is false advertising and grounds for immediate refund, by Australian consumer protection law.

Leave a comment:

• Dunhamzzz
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
    Touché... but none of us are perfect? I know I'm not! Whether money is involved or not, it seems we demand perfection from others who have the same flaws as ourselves. Drupal, Joomla, WordPress... all free, still have the same disgruntled attitudes thrown at them... and its free! Can't quite wrap my brain around it beyond human behaviour and expectations.

That's the thing! vBulletin is not free. It costs nearly £200 for the full suite. If you bought a TV that didn't work as it should, you'd be sure to take it back.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    Imagine the developers who code it, to actually test it in a live environment before selling it to customers
    Touché... but none of us are perfect? I know I'm not! Whether money is involved or not, it seems we demand perfection from others who have the same flaws as ourselves. Drupal, Joomla, WordPress... all free, still have the same disgruntled attitudes thrown at them... and its free! Can't quite wrap my brain around it beyond human behaviour and expectations.

Leave a comment:

• Dunhamzzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    As posted earlier, a quick fix is available here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7479
    We should not have to pay £200 for a license and still have to apply quick fixes for simple operations 6 months down the line. Some of us have a business to run and rely on vBulletin as a premium product, hence the premium pricing. I can't understand how it all went so wrong from vb3 - vb4.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    As posted earlier, a quick fix is available here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7479

And your infraction was not for complaining but how you complained - If you have an issue with that infraction, please raise a support ticket.

Leave a comment:

• Dunhamzzz
    replied
    I thought it was about the style generator output styles?
    Oh no, you now can't save any image paths in the stylevars, eg the logo path.

Oh great and I get an infraction for complaining.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Brand new feature, untested due to it being an ACP aspect
    Imagine the developers who code it, to actually test it in a live environment before selling it to customers

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    I thought it was about the style generator output styles?

Leave a comment:

• Dunhamzzz
    replied
    That is not exactly correct, as this specific feature is a brand new addition, which the public did not have access to test as part of the public version release here upon vb.com to fix issues. If it was an existing aspect, sure... merit on creating an issue, but this is not the case for what you are raising. Brand new feature, untested due to it being an ACP aspect, which doesn't equate to an insecure software. I could hack into Joomla easier than getting into vbulletin software, knowing nothing about code, simply due to how the software is designed for admin access, being a known location. You have to add hacks to secure it... seriously, no software is fool proof. If it doesn't suit you, that is fair enough, but stating mistruths about security issues... not exactly accurate!
    Whoah whoah whoah, stylevars are not a brand new feature. This happens when saving any image path in the stylevar manager.

What we have here is for some reason, in an attempt to fix bugs, more have been created. I used to be a vB fanboy much like yourself, but even I can't defend coding like that. It's almost like they are just shifting the bugs around. Surely it's obvious that even with one small change they should test everything? FFS there's a critical error thrown on member pages on some forums. It's like they're not making the effort to cover themselves.

And as for my security concerns, were you around during the XSS exploit on pretty much all pages? All you had to do was put ?arg=<script and voila, put your own js anywhere.

vBulletin have totally lost my trust, in creating new, obvious bugs when they are trying to fix them just proves they are doing no QA testing what so ever. Us paying users are the beta testers.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    Originally posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
    It was because of this bug I cancelled my planned upgrade to vB 4. If a simple PHP error exists in the admin panel I'd hate to think what sort of vulnerabilities have been overlooked.
    That is not exactly correct, as this specific feature is a brand new addition, which the public did not have access to test as part of the public version release here upon vb.com to fix issues. If it was an existing aspect, sure... merit on creating an issue, but this is not the case for what you are raising. Brand new feature, untested due to it being an ACP aspect, which doesn't equate to an insecure software. I could hack into Joomla easier than getting into vbulletin software, knowing nothing about code, simply due to how the software is designed for admin access, being a known location. You have to add hacks to secure it... seriously, no software is fool proof. If it doesn't suit you, that is fair enough, but stating mistruths about security issues... not exactly accurate!

Leave a comment:

• Dunhamzzz
    replied
    It was because of this bug I cancelled my planned upgrade to vB 4. If a simple PHP error exists in the admin panel I'd hate to think what sort of vulnerabilities have been overlooked.

I was extremely disappointed with vb 4 when it was released, so I thought I'd let it mature a bit, and so 6 months on I was actually excited about 4.0.4 coming out, especially with the FB features. But alas no, they managed to quash my excitement within 10 minutes with the piss poor "style generator" which looks like it should do a lot more than it actaully does, and then this error that affects all stylvar images?! All I wanted to do was make a temporary skin and add my logo.

You have really dropped the ball vbulletin. I regret renewing my licenses for this vbulletin 4 mess
    Last edited by Dunhamzzz; Mon 21 Jun '10, 4:48am.

Leave a comment:

• chewbacca
    replied
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7479 also tells you how to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• twitch
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    First you have to upload your own logo via FTP.

Upload it to the /images/misc folder in the forum folder, then log into your admin control panel and go to Styles & Templates > Style Manager > StyleVars (from the drop menu).

Scroll down a little and you will see the Image Stylevars. In 'titleimage', replace vbulletin3_logo_white.gif with the name of your logo image.
    I created a theme today with the new stylegenerator and came up with an issue when I tried to edit the stylevar titleimage. It would not accept my changes and kept replacing the value I inputted with the value= Array so instead of the image/misc/whatever.png it just said Array after I tried to input a different value.

I had to choose revert to get back to the default images/misc/vbulletin4_logo.png because nothing else worked

Leave a comment: