Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friendly URLs: mod rewrite redundant path - /forums/forums/...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Friendly URLs: mod rewrite redundant path - /forums/forums/...

My site has vBulletin installed in a forums subdirectory off the web root.

I'd like to use the mod rewrite format for search friendly urls, however, the urls once mod rewrite is enabled start with /forums/forums/.

The expected behavior is that it would just start with /forums/

Is this a bug or is there a configuration I am not seeing. I've checked the vbulletin manual and could not find any special configurations that I am missing.

What do you have in your htaccess file? My guess is you are redirecting forumdisplay to a directory called /forums and that is why you are getting it twice.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

yes, as i wrote, that is exactly what is happening.

i guess running my site from a different directory than /forums/ would be the only way to fix this (the redundant looking url) if there's no setting in vbulletin to change how the urls are generated. is that correct or is it configurable somewhere?

Comment

I have the same issue as well on one of my other sites.
        CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

Comment

So you want it to say /forums/threads and /forums/members and /forums/blogs, but when they go to forumdisplay, you only want it to say /forums ? I can't think of how you could do that without modifying the code.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

right, just something for the suggestion box then. allow the rewrites to be dynamic.

vbulleting having such a wide userbase when there are so many other free options out there shows that you have some great engineers behind this nice software. i'm sure they can take this oversight and devise a solution.

unfortunately the alternative for users who want better control over urls is to hack code or shell out another $150 for a 3rd party plugin to make seo friendly urls work like it should out of the box.

thanks for taking the time to clear it up though.

Comment

No I just don't want it to have /forum/forum in the url...only because it does not work.

See here If you scroll over the different forums and click on them...you get an invalid forum error.

http://www.tkunderground.com/forums/forum.php
              CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

Comment

@dieselpowered not sure if it helps, but you could try debugging your rewrite issues like this. definitely a separate issue from what i'm reporting though. mine is working as designed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X