Clear All

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Good move!

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
    Wait, How come you don't have that setting?
    I've made a template edit to remove it.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Sorry, I have a solution that works for me and I'm happy. Do what ever works for you. I can understand why you would like that feature. Wait, How come you don't have that setting?

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Then why do you think "it's very dangerous". Nothings ever a problem, until it's a problem.
    Because I don't have a Manage Attachments link in my Settings page.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    As a user on a few boards, one of the only thing that has gotten to me was, after commenting on a thread, the other person goes back and changes something prior. And the admin is (of course) totally oblivious to it.

If:
    I've been running a vBulletin 9 years and have always allowed editing posts for two months. Never had a problem and nearing 1 million posts
    Then why do you think "it's very dangerous". Nothings ever a problem, until it's a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Not very compelling, given the possible consequences. In your example, I would rarely refer back to the OP and would expect to find updated information in the most current part of the thread. Sorry just seems like a trivial reason. In the rare instance of a date change/mistake or something critical, PM the admin. But, in your cited case, yes, you might like a "lock" feature for the attachments. Unless they needed to change the attachment.

Please, I'm not just trying to be negative, I would like to understand why some people want these extended edit times. I mean a reason that justifies the risk rather than just playing it safe.

Just the way it can screw up the continuity of a thread is enough reason for me not to allow it.
    I've been running a vBulletin 9 years and have always allowed editing posts for two months. Never had a problem and nearing 1 million posts.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Just like if I go back now and change my earlier posts here, I can make you look like an idiot. Or at least make much of the thread incomprehensible.

In the end I am thankful for this thread, as it made me go back and check my permissions.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Not very compelling, given the possible consequences. In your example, I would rarely refer back to the OP and would expect to find updated information in the most current part of the thread. Sorry just seems like a trivial reason. In the rare instance of a date change/mistake or something critical, PM the admin. But, in your cited case, yes, you might like a "lock" feature for the attachments. Unless they needed to change the attachment.

Please, I'm not just trying to be negative, I would like to understand why some people want these extended edit times. I mean a reason that justifies the risk rather than just playing it safe.

Just the way it can screw up the continuity of a thread is enough reason for me not to allow it.
    Last edited by nakedanvil; Fri 21 May '10, 3:24pm.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by daedong View Post
    As a test I went to a very big vB forum that I have been a member of for 6 or 7 yeras, I went to control panel and deleted an attachment from a 5 year old post, bingo that buggered an old thread, [well not really as the attachment was in an innocuous thread and there were other pics ], I think this would have been way beyond editing time, from memory the forum has a 20 min edit time. I could have deleted every attachment I had made = heaps.
    I suspect that admin doesn't care or is unaware that a user could ruin thousands of threads in two clicks.

There is a switch in the Admin CP that would disallow deleting the attachments beyond the edit time.

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Message Attachment Options -> Allow Deletion of Attachments Beyond Edit Time Limit

Leave a comment:

• daedong
    replied
    As a test I went to a very big vB forum that I have been a member of for 6 or 7 yeras, I went to control panel and deleted an attachment from a 5 year old post, bingo that buggered an old thread, [well not really as the attachment was in an innocuous thread and there were other pics ], I think this would have been way beyond editing time, from memory the forum has a 20 min edit time. I could have deleted every attachment I had made = heaps.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Thanks Lynne! Must you always bring "focus"? I'd still like to better understand the reasoning behind the extended edit times, especially if the above is a concern. I'm sure there are valid reasons and I'm just unaware of them.
    Extended editing times are very useful. For example lets say someone is organizing an event and they want to update post #1 with who will be attending the event. By allowing the extended edit time this is possible.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Thanks Lynne! Must you always bring "focus"? I'd still like to better understand the reasoning behind the extended edit times, especially if the above is a concern. I'm sure there are valid reasons and I'm just unaware of them.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    It's only a problem is you have a long editing time. This was said on the last past:
    This limit is only useful if you have a very short time set for editing posts. On my forum for example I allow up to two months for a member to edit their posts.
    Which led to the discussion that that page could be dangerous in such a situation - a user could go in and mass delete a whole lot of images in threads extremely easily. You gotta read the whole thread to understand what is being said.

If you have a short editing time, then it probably is no problem.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    OK, I just tested this business. After the edit time expires the user cannot delete an attachment. I don't see the problem then. It's a horrible feature because the user can still edit a post during the period you allow for editing???? What is "editing" then?

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    So if I have allow editing set to a very short time, I don't have to worry about them using the delete feature? Mine is set to 30 minutes. Enough time to correct a glaring error or typo is all. I hate it when posts get changed after additional comments have been made. Sometimes things make no sense if you allow extended editing time.

Leave a comment: