X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by daedong View Post
    So if I read this correctly, I can't do anything to stop someone deleting a picture? So someone who is naive, can innocently delete their attachments and ruin years of a forum? Surely this isn't correct?
    It all depends on how long you allow post editing. If you allow editing posts for say 60 days, then they could delete all attachments they have made up to 60 days in two easy clicks. This is very dangerous and such a tool should be easily turned off at the Admin CP level.

Leave a comment:

• trilogy33
    replied
    As long as a user can edit their posts, they're also able to delete any attachments contained within.
    Scary.

In ACP>Usergroups>Attachment Permissions, for example, I've set no limit for storage:
    Can Upload Attachments Yes

Space (in bytes) that a user's total attachment usage may consume 0
    (Set to 0 to not have a limit)

Also, mass deleting via their Settings>Miscellaneous>Attachments.
    Heck, there's even a select all at the top of their list to make the mass deletion process no effort at all.
    Last edited by trilogy33; Fri 21 May '10, 8:41am. Reason: sorry long day, screwed that up. edited

Leave a comment:

• daedong
    replied
    So if I read this correctly, I can't do anything to stop someone deleting a picture? So someone who is naive, can innocently delete their attachments and ruin years of a forum? Surely this isn't correct?

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Ah yes, of course.............I, ah, knew that.......yeah. Actually I was not aware of that. So even if you have disabled "allow deletion of attachment" they can still delete them there? Well, then I certainly agree that there should be a way to turn it off.

I'm still unclear on using an attachment limit and what to do when they reach it and why.

Thanks for your patience everyone. I'm learning.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
    Maybe I'm just thick, but I can't find a path even similar to that. We're talking in the adminCP right? No "miscellaneous" under my settings or options. Told you I was easily confused.
    No. This is a page for the users. Settings is the link at the very top right. Miscellaneous is a subheading under My Settings. (Use the browser find feature if you can't find it, cuz it is there).

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Maybe I'm just thick, but I can't find a path even similar to that. We're talking in the adminCP right? No "miscellaneous" under my settings or options. Told you I was easily confused.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
    Are we talking about the same thing? I get confused easily. I don't understand "an option to turn that page off"! Turn it off to whom?
    The dangerous link I was talking about is found here:

Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Attachments

This should have a switch in Admin CP to disable it.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Why do you have an attachment limit then? What do you do otherwise when they reach their limit. Not trying to be argumentative, I really want to know.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    I can understand setting "Allow Deletion of Attachments Beyond Edit Time Limit" to "no". But why do you think it shouldn't be an option? Or (again) why is it a "dangerous link". Are we talking about the same thing? I get confused easily. I don't understand "an option to turn that page off"! Turn it off to whom?

Leave a comment:

• philg
    replied
    When one of my users got to 100% attachment limit they thought they should delete some attachements. They started deleting them all and before i knew it, 500 files had been deleted and about 500 threads ruined..

There should definitely be an option to turn that page off!

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Why is that "a dangerous link"?

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    So do I. But, most people don't want, or know how, to write a plugin and so they will need to control it using the options.
    Unfortunately vBulletin doesn't provide a way to disable the very dangerous link in the Settings page called Manage Attachments. There really should be a switch in the Admin CP to turn turn off that link.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    This limit is only useful if you have a very short time set for editing posts. On my forum for example I allow up to two months for a member to edit their posts. This trick is to remove the ability to manage attachments in the Settings area, I use a plugin to do that.
    So do I. But, most people don't want, or know how, to write a plugin and so they will need to control it using the options.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    Have you looked at vboptions > message attachment options > Allow Deletion of Attachments Beyond Edit Time Limit and Allow Deletion of Attachments in Closed Threads ?
    This limit is only useful if you have a very short time set for editing posts. On my forum for example I allow up to two months for a member to edit their posts. This trick is to remove the ability to manage attachments in the Settings area, I use a plugin to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Have you looked at vboptions > message attachment options > Allow Deletion of Attachments Beyond Edit Time Limit and Allow Deletion of Attachments in Closed Threads ?

Leave a comment: