Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to change the upgrade instructions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Need to change the upgrade instructions!

I will admit. I do not read this forum alot.

I was running 3.8.3..my upgrades was about to expire and I wanted to take a look at 4 before deciding if I wanted to shell out the cash for it. Figured worse case senario, I have 4.0.3 aqnd I jsut leave it at that.

I have been using VB since 2.x and never had a problem upgrading.

Read the readme file. Said upgrade to 3.8.4 first, then I could upgrade to 3.0.3.

I did that, and I ended up witjh a problem logging in. Seems there is some salt thing that changed a setting.

Seems there was a file for 4.0.2 that fixed this. Problem is The directions do not tell you to upgrqde to 4.0.2, run that file, then update to 4.0.3.

I tired running the salt upgrade file after the fact like suggested, but it would not run. Kept telling me the version numbers were wrong.

So no way to fix the problem. I had to wipe the entire thing and do a fresh install. Not at all happy about that. Good thing Ihave a small board for people what really won't care.

My point is. I should not have to come to the board to find out about installing problems. It was a big enough problem, that the instructions that come with the files should have mentioned it. After all they say upgrade to3.8.4 first. Why not put the thing about the passwords and the salt file and upgrqading to 4.0.2.

I will say, It is now doubtful I will spend the money to get any future updates.

Hmmm... that 4.0.2 salt issue seems to keep raising its ugly little head. I am surprised that VB have not investigated this a little further for whether a patch is required. Have you submitted a support ticket outlining the issue with a new 4.0.3 upgrade? They may off tested it on a new install, not an upgrade from 3.x, where the salt script may not be getting run during the process possibly!!!

Comment

I did not bother with a support ticket. My upgrades run out today. So they would probably tell me I can not get support unless I buy 4.0 for 175 bucks.

And there is no salt file in the 4.0.3 package. That is why you are told to run the 4.0.2 file, but it will not run once you upgrde to 4.0.3. It is a know issue. I read a post where someone else said the same thing happened.

Again, whole thing is easily taken care of if they just tell you to do it in the upgrade instructions.

I did a fresh install of 3.0.2, ran the salt file, then upgraded to 4.0.3 Sems to work fine

Comment

Zedd, you'd be wrong You can open a ticket.

Comment

sorry was going on past experince. i tried to give a friend one of my owned VB licenses and Iw as told I could not unless I paid for a year of updates for both licenses I owned.

Comment

There is a pretty major difference between trying to transfer a license to someone and asking to get help. License transfers have had a different set of rules

We do our best to provide support for any versions of vbulletin. If we think you happen to be running into a bug that was fixed in a newer version we may not spend the time trouble shooting since it might be resolveable by upgrading.

Comment

I do not wish to get in an argument, but it takes no time or effort to change the name on a license. I owned it, I should easily be allowed to give it to someone. We were not asking for upgrades to, the software, they were not going to be able to run anything newer then the version I had access to.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedd View Post
                I do not wish to get in an argument, but it takes no time or effort to change the name on a license. I owned it, I should easily be allowed to give it to someone. We were not asking for upgrades to, the software, they were not going to be able to run anything newer then the version I had access to.
                Read the ToS. It's spelled out quite clearly there so whether or not it's easy is pretty much irrelevant. This isn't anything new, either.
                Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

Like I said, I do not want to start an argument. I could care less what is in the TOS at this point. It happened a year ago.

What this thread is about is a simple fix for the poor upgrading instructions.

Comment

the upgrade to 4.0.3 should take care of the salt table issue.

Comment

What you did IS relevant. You have violated the Terms of Service. Add to that you want to play with 4.0.3 BEFORE you pay for it. So now you want to upgrade that same 3.8.3 license you gave to some one else to have?
                      What is wrong with the following statement?
                      I was running 3.8.3..my upgrades was about to expire and I wanted to take a look at 4 before deciding if I wanted to shell out the cash for it. Figured worse case senario, I have 4.0.3 aqnd I jsut leave it at that.
                      And you don't own the software. The license is just a permit to use the software subject to the terms of the copyright owner. And I feel sorry for the person you gave the license to. I got a feeling they're going to get a visit from pirate reports before it's over.
                      Last edited by setishock; Thu 20 May '10, 9:15pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                        the upgrade to 4.0.3 should take care of the salt table issue.
                        Well that is the problem. The upgrade to 4.0.3 did not take care of the salt issue. I went from 3.8.4 directly to 4.0.3 and had the salt issue, and from what I read here, many people had the same issue.

People are being told to run the upgrade_402_salt.php file to fix the problem, but if you are runign 4.0.3, you can not run that file.

Comment

Originally posted by setishock View Post
                          What you did IS relevant. You have violated the Terms of Service. Add to that you want to play with 4.0.3 BEFORE you pay for it. So now you want to upgrade that same 3.8.3 license you gave to some one else to have?
                          What is wrong with the following statement?

And you don't own the software. The license is just a permit to use the software subject to the terms of the copyright owner. And I feel sorry for the person you gave the license to. I got a feeling they're going to get a visit from pirate reports before it's over.
                          Please know what the hell you are talking about before responding.

A year ago, I did pay for the year of updates so I could transfer the one license to the other person. I had to, it was the only way I could do it. I never said I did not pay the money, only that I felt Is hould not have had to.

As for my running 4.0.3 without paying for it? I did pay for it. I had a year of upgrades. I am allowed to download any version that came out in that year. VB even says this. The only thing is now I no longer have access to further upgrades. So if I want to go past 4.0.3, I have to pay for the new upgrade service they have which is one fee for the life of 4.x instead of by the year.

So please do not tell me I am doing anything wroing. I do not steal or pirate software. I pay for what I want.

Oh and reading your post a little better.

I owned TWO licenses. I upgraded the one I am using. Never said the upgrades I was doing were for the other person. That would not even work. You download files that have your license number in them. IF I gave them to someone else, I would lose my VB.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedd View Post
                            Well that is the problem. The upgrade to 4.0.3 did not take care of the salt issue. I went from 3.8.4 directly to 4.0.3 and had the salt issue, and from what I read here, many people had the same issue.

People are being told to run the upgrade_402_salt.php file to fix the problem, but if you are runign 4.0.3, you can not run that file.
                            Step one of upgrade_403.php
                            PHP Code:
                             // widen the user salt

$upgrade->run_query(

sprintf($upgradecore_phrases['altering_x_table'], 'user'11),

"ALTER TABLE " TABLE_PREFIX "user MODIFY salt CHAR(30) NOT NULL DEFAULT ''"

); 
                            So you can run this query if it didn't happen for some reason:
                            Code:
                            ALTER TABLE PREFIXuser MODIFY salt CHAR(30) NOT NULL DEFAULT ''
                            Change prefix to your table prefix if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                              Step one of upgrade_403.php
                              PHP Code:
                               // widen the user salt

$upgrade->run_query(

sprintf($upgradecore_phrases['altering_x_table'], 'user'11),

"ALTER TABLE " TABLE_PREFIX "user MODIFY salt CHAR(30) NOT NULL DEFAULT ''"

); 
                              So you can run this query if it didn't happen for some reason:
                              Code:
                              ALTER TABLE PREFIXuser MODIFY salt CHAR(30) NOT NULL DEFAULT ''
                              Change prefix to your table prefix if you have one.
                              that query is the only problem? that's it? what about the login problem? cookies?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X