No announcement yet.

Forum on Content Delivery Network (CDN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Forum on Content Delivery Network (CDN)

I have recently started to use a CDN to serve the static files of my front end website and am wondering if I can do the same thing with the forum. I would like to move the Images / CSS & JS files over to the CDN and change a vBulletin config file to show the new url.

Is any of this possible?

Many Thanks,
    David

I'm also interested in this. I'm using a CDN for my coppermine and joomla sites and everything work perfectly so I'm thinking about using it also with VB...

Comment

You can set a number of image paths using the stylevar system. When editing stylevars, search for the imgdir variety.

For background gradient images, search for "background" and you will have to manually add the CDN prefix for each url(...)

For CSS and JS, however, AFAIK you'll need to write a plugin (I find global_complete works as a good location for these) that replaces all src="clientscript/ with your CDN path for JS files, and href="clientscript/ for CSS files.

There will still be some images that were not covered by the stylevar changes (like attachments and images from modifications). You'll likely want to add some replacements to your plugin for these, but they differ on a site-by-site basis.

I recommend using a "mirror" CDN, or a CDN that automatically pulls the files from your main server if they are missing, rather than you having to upload them yourself. This will save time and effort during upgrades, make attachment, avatar, album integration painless, etc.
      - the makers of VaultWiki

Comment

Thanks for the reply thincom2000.

It looks like it would be rather time consuming and hacky to set this up.

Would it be possible to write a plugin that would make this easy for other users? If so, would anyone be interested in teaming up to make one?

Im an experienced php web developer, but I dont know much about the vBulletin setup.

Beanie

Comment

The beta of vboptimise 3.0 can handle Amazon S3 and a couple others.

Regardless, you can do something like this with the same outcome: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/vbulle...iguration.html

I'm currently using Amazon s3 with Cloudfront and SimpleCDN with great results.

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
          Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

vboptimise unfortunately conflicts with several mods. They have said that they will address this.
            MaxCDN says they are going to release a vbulletin plugin.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
              vboptimise unfortunately conflicts with several mods. They have said that they will address this.
              MaxCDN says they are going to release a vbulletin plugin.
              That would be nice.
              No, my site isn't about Motorcycle Maintenance...

Comment

vbSEO 3.6 has limited MAXCDN support. vbSEO is intending to provide full CDN support in the future.

Please vote for CDN support in vbulletin here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-9261
                I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
                  vbSEO 3.6 has limited MAXCDN support. vbSEO is intending to provide full CDN support in the future.

Please vote for CDN support in vbulletin here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-9261
                  Voted. Gimme other stuff to vote for.
                  www.8thos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Octavius View Post
                    Voted. Gimme other stuff to vote for.
                    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...equestId=10569
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

Geezus dude. That's a lot. I voted for the first 7. Will do the rest later lol.
                      www.8thos.com

Comment