Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Forum vs Catagory

I think I have gone blind.

I came over from SMF so something are way different and forget where I see certain things in the admin panel.

I could have sworn that over and over again I would see something along the lines making a section a forum or category. I started looking for it and I just cannot find it again. Was I imagining that I saw this?

In each forum setting page, there is an option that says "Act as Frum?" Yes/No....

If this option is checked to be "No" - that 'forum' becomes a category and usually, you would add 'child' forums under it.

AdminCP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit/Create a forum of your choice -> Scroll down to 'Posting Options -> Act as forum?

Hope this helps.
    To be updated...

Comment

I am blind. When I went looking for it I passed it over and over again.

So a category could be used to make a forum within a forum?

Oh, what happens if I take a forum that has posts in it and turn it into a category. I am guessing that would really confuse things?

Thanks for the help.
      Last edited by jonsidneyb; Thu 13 May '10, 10:13pm.

Comment

Originally posted by jonsidneyb View Post
        I am blind. When I went looking for it I passed it over and over again.

So a category could be used to make a forum within a forum?
        More or less, it's pretty flexible.

If you look at the vBulletin.com/forum Forum Home Page, the following are 'Categories' as designated by the setting I just showed you:

vBulletin Announcements
        vBulletin Sales and Feedback
        vBulletin 4
        vBulletin 3.8

etc. etc...

Traditionally, I've ony used categories at the top level such as you see here at vBulletin.com. But, for what you asking, I'm sure it could be done.
        To be updated...

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Lets say I had a forum called food with 1000 threads in it. I want to change this to a category and under it I want it to be meat, fruit, veggies, and so on.

I am guessing I need to move all the threads out of food first. Change it into a category, create the new forums, then move the threads to the appropriate forums? Is the the easiest way?

Comment

Lets say I had a forum called food with 1000 threads in it. I want to change this to a category and under it I want it to be meat, fruit, veggies, and so on.

I am guessing I need to move all the threads out of food first. Change it into a category, create the new forums, then move the threads to the appropriate forums? Is the the easiest way?
              Or:

Create a new Category (Food) that's empty, assign the "Food" (renaming as necessary) forum to be a child of the new category and then split up/create subforums as necessary. Then, move threads as you need to. Pay close attention to your forum permssions, depending how complex your permissions are setup, you may have to readjust them.

Does that make sense?
              To be updated...

Comment

I need to sleep more, these 30 hours of being awake at a time is making me loopy. I am just not used to seeing it in an admin panel like this. I am having several Duh moments.

Comment

I need to sleep more, these 30 hours of being awake at a time is making me loopy. I am just not used to seeing it in an admin panel like this. I am having several Duh moments.
                  Well, when you come back try looking at it again.

1) Each forum setting page has an option to tell that forum who the parent forum is. You can select this for each forum to assign it under another forum or category.
                  2) To create a new category, just create a new forum and change the setting "Act as forum?" to No. Instant new category is made.
                  3) To assign other forums to fall under that new cateogory, go into each forum and change the "Parent Forum" near the top of the forum configuration page.
                  4) Then, you can create other child fourms, rearrange ordering and move threads around.

(I'd make you some screenshots, but I'm not in a place that I can do that right now.)
                  To be updated...

Comment

My original question was silly. When I made my SMF forum I had to do categories and put forums under those as well. I think because it looked different I was thinking it was something else. I actually cannot believe I asked the different between categories and forums, lack of sleep moment.

I do find it interesting that a category can be inside a category. I never tried that in SMF. Not sure if the version I had would let me do that. I am going to play around with categories inside of categories and see how that looks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X