A couple of questions about ImageMagick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] A couple of questions about ImageMagick

I have always used GD but decided to try ImageMagick as I had heard good things about it. Is it true that you can set the font with ImageMagick for using with the human verification system? And does anyone have a good setup for that or any good recommendations?

Also, which is better to use for human verification, ImageMagick or eCaptcha?
    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Originally posted by Boofo View Post
    Also, which is better to use for human verification, ImageMagick or eCaptcha?
    IMHO all captchas are very difficult to use and ineffective. I suggest you use the Question & Answer system.

Comment

True, but all they would have to do is figure out the question and then the bots/spammers would have a field day. But I have never really deal with the Question & Answer system. Is it hard to set up and fairly effective on keeping out the bots and spammers?
      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

I think it probably works it's best when you have a question that is in the context of your users. Even jargon that an unfamiliar human would not know the answer to. Although even 2 + 2 = ? seems to work for many at stopping bots. That will change I imagine.

Comment

I just looked at it and I suck at regular expressions as they are confusing to me. Looks like I'm stuck with the image verification.

Comment

I just looked at it and I suck at regular expressions as they are confusing to me. Looks like I'm stuck with the image verification.
            I don't think anyone uses the regular expressions when they create Questions & Answers. Just make it really simple for example:

Enter the word "boofo" to verify you are human.

Comment

Add a question, after saving your question, you can add anwsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                I don't think anyone uses the regular expressions when they create Questions & Answers. Just make it really simple for example:

Enter the word "boofo" to verify you are human.
                I read the you are not supposed to give the answer in the first part as the bots/spammers pick up on that pretty quick. The regexs is more for the capitalization or small letters scenario so it will pick it up either way.

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                Add a question, after saving your question, you can add anwsers.
                I have done that but I want to be able to have the answer be in whatever case they choose. I used to have a question with that setup for the registration process but I can't remember how the regex was done, as Peterska did the regex for me at the time, quite a while ago.

Comment

I read the you are not supposed to give the answer in the first part as the bots/spammers pick up on that pretty quick. The regexs is more for the capitalization or small letters scenario so it will pick it up either way.
                  No problem having the answer right in the question, bots are not able to figure it out. Forget the regex, keep it simple.

Comment

I have done that but I want to be able to have the answer be in whatever case they choose. I used to have a question with that setup for the registration process but I can't remember how the regex was done, as Peterska did the regex for me at the time, quite a while ago.
                    The anwsers are case insesitive by default

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                      The anwsers are case insesitive by default
                      So, if the answer is Iowa, it will accept ioWa, or any variation of the case? *And youi're sure on that, right?

Well, then I don't need the regex. I thought I had to do that for the case sensitivity. What would regex be good for then?

Comment

So, if the answer is Iowa, it will accept ioWa, or any variation of the case?
                        That is the definition of case insensitive.

What would regex be good for then?
                        Allowing for a question like: "Enter any number between 1 and 100".

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                          That is the definition of case insensitive.
                          Believe it or not, I knew that. I was just verifying it.

Allowing for a question like: "Enter any number between 1 and 100".

Can you give me an example of what the regex would look like for that?

Comment

Can you give me an example of what the regex would look like for that?
                            ^([1-9]|[1-9]\d|100)$

Comment

It's still all Greek to me, I guess. You would have to have 100 separate answers for that question using regex.

Comment