Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there still no way to have a CMS front page preview link directly to the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZoDesigns.com
    replied
    I would like to see a site in use that is using this method.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Clarkey View Post
    In that case is having the forum not enough? or do you need the CMS too?

If v404 doesn't bring what you want, then there is another simple way of doing what you want... it just means a little more interaction from you (or any staff). If there is a thread on the forum that you wanted promoted on the CMS page, then go to the CMS page, create new article, and in the body type a "Headline" and turn it in to a URL that takes you to the Thread on the forum. Then if you set "no" to displaying the article title, creator, published date etc, then you should just get a "Headline" on your CMS page which when people clock it will take them to the thread on the forum.

If that's what I am understanding correctly that you want to do. It's not quite a "click" of a button, it does mean a little extra work, but it doesn't hurt anyone. That's my idea anyway.
    That is so weird, I was just about to contact you as I was viewing your site the other day! Very, very well done site I might add. I had a few questions, going to PM you.

Leave a comment:

• GamerPerfection
    replied
    Originally posted by sticky View Post
    Well, in general my articles are promoted posts. I don't need a separate section, the forum is the heart for all of it.
    In that case is having the forum not enough? or do you need the CMS too?

If v404 doesn't bring what you want, then there is another simple way of doing what you want... it just means a little more interaction from you (or any staff). If there is a thread on the forum that you wanted promoted on the CMS page, then go to the CMS page, create new article, and in the body type a "Headline" and turn it in to a URL that takes you to the Thread on the forum. Then if you set "no" to displaying the article title, creator, published date etc, then you should just get a "Headline" on your CMS page which when people clock it will take them to the thread on the forum.

If that's what I am understanding correctly that you want to do. It's not quite a "click" of a button, it does mean a little extra work, but it doesn't hurt anyone. That's my idea anyway.

Leave a comment:

• vB Style
    replied
    Originally posted by sticky View Post
    Link shows up as not found...
    See this:
    Content Management

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by ArchAngelz View Post
    After running through a few more rounds with the support ticket, the problem was solved with VB's Development Team helping out.

Through feedback in my support ticket, VB has updated the documentation and I believe the documentation is now much more clear as far as what needs to be done.

Special thanks to David Grove from VB Development and Trevor Hannant from vB Support, they were able to help me when the initial vB customer support personnel couldn't even understand what this whole issue is even about.

To those following this issue, check out the revised documentation at the original link of http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/o...entmanagement; it should be very clear what needs to be done.

Goxy63: I'm waiting for those words "I Love you" HAHAH!
    Link shows up as not found...

Leave a comment:

• ArchAngelz
    replied
    After running through a few more rounds with the support ticket, the problem was solved with VB's Development Team helping out.

Through feedback in my support ticket, VB has updated the documentation and I believe the documentation is now much more clear as far as what needs to be done.

Special thanks to David Grove from VB Development and Trevor Hannant from vB Support, they were able to help me when the initial vB customer support personnel couldn't even understand what this whole issue is even about.

To those following this issue, check out the revised documentation at the original link of http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/o...entmanagement; it should be very clear what needs to be done.

Goxy63: I'm waiting for those words "I Love you" HAHAH!

Leave a comment:

• ArchAngelz
    replied
    As far as I can tell with their customer support ticket system, we need to create 5 php files, content.php, index.php, editor, list widget etc, using the code that is provided in the Documentation (although it wasn't that clear what to do there).

Please note that for those still looking at the old documentation, please delete ".[/b]" from each PHP at the end of each code as that was a typo by vBulletin in the earlier version of their docs.

These 5 files should be uploaded to your root.

Also, change the CMS URL setting in AdminCP to your root name.

When I tried these, I encountered this error: Warning: chdir() [function.chdir]: No such file or directory (errno 2) in /home/reddotph/public_html/forums/index.php on line 38

I tried to fix the problem by commenting out lines 36 to 39 of index.php:

32 //define(VB_RELATIVE_PATH, 'forums');
    35 // Do not edit.
    36 if (defined('VB_RELATIVE_PATH'))
    37 {
    38 chdir('./' . VB_RELATIVE_PATH);
    39 }

It seems to work after that, but vBulletin Support said that this is not officially in the documentation. Hence, I'm not quite sure what more to do after that.

Hopefully members here can figure out something that vB support could not.

Leave a comment:

• goxy63
    replied
    Would someone who knows spare few min and explain to us who dont know?

Was searchin a bit for detailed info about this but nothing, link would be highly appreciated

My main CMS page as www.mysite.com
    My forums page as www.mysite.com/forums
    How?

In AdminCP it says:
    ------------------------------------------------

This may be specified to change the base URL for all CMS links. This is useful if you run the CMS from a location that differs from your Forum URL.
    You may specify an absolute URL such as http://www.example.com/, or a URL relative to your Forum URL. If your forum is in /forum and your CMS is at the root of your webserver then you may use ../. If you use an absolute URL the option Always use Forum URL as Base Path will have no effect for CMS pages, and the CMS url specified will always be used. If you wish to run your CMS from a location other than your Forum URL then you must ensure that the appropriate entry scripts have been set up. These include:
    • content.php or index.php
    • editor.php
    • list.php
    • widget.php

The easiest way to do this is to create text files with the following:

<?#shebang#?><?php
    define(VB_RELATIVE_PATH, 'your_forum_path');
    chdir('./' . VB_RELATIVE_PATH);
    require('script.php');

For example, if your forum is in /forum then /widget.php may look like:

<?#shebang#?><?php
    define(VB_RELATIVE_PATH, 'forum');
    require('widget.php');

---------------------------------------------------
    Looks like ok explanation but for me its not, maybe I am stupid, dont have much time or...
    so please explain this:

The easiest way to do this is to create text files with the following
    What text files, existing ones(content or index, editor, list, and widget.php ), to create new ones...?

2. Should I upload something to my root?

Pls just few details, my only reward will be these words "I love you"
    Last edited by goxy63; Mon 17 May '10, 3:52am.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lo
    replied
    Hope someone can help to have the cms in root and forums in the folder as set out above in #22.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lo
    replied
    This is exactly what I need; I'll be really grateful if you could track that link down for me.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    I setup an install a few weeks ago a client wanted the cms in the root, and forums in a folder and it worked great, no redirect.

site.com (shows the cms content)
    site.com/forums/ (shows the forum content)

There is a tutorial here on vb.com that I used, I can track down the link if you need.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    Hello,

I'm using Suite 4.03 and I want the rooturl of the domain to load the CMS and /vb to load the forum. Currently all is in /vb (always done it like that).

I've found the optional URL setting in the ACP, so I guess it's easily possible to set it up. But I don't understand the help section at all:

Optional URL for your CMS.

This may be specified to change the base URL for all CMS links. This is useful if you run the CMS from a location that differs from your Forum URL.

You may specify an absolute URL such as http://www.example.com/, or a URL relative to your Forum URL. If your forum is in /forum and your CMS is at the root of your webserver then you may use ../. If you use an absolute URL the option Always use Forum URL as Base Path will have no effect for CMS pages, and the CMS url specified will always be used. If you wish to run your CMS from a location other than your Forum URL then you must ensure that the appropriate entry scripts have been set up. These include:
    • content.php or index.php
    • editor.php
    • list.php
    • widget.php

The easiest way to do this is to create text files with the following:

<?#shebang#?><?php
    define(VB_RELATIVE_PATH, 'your_forum_path');
    require('script.php');

For example, if your forum is in /forum then /widget.php may look like:

<?#shebang#?><?php
    define(VB_RELATIVE_PATH, 'forum');
    require('widget.php');

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Edwin Brown View Post
    Yes, we've had a PM discussion about it. You need v404 to do it right, but in v404 you can.
    • Create a recent thread or recent post widget.
    • Configure to display the appropriate Forum(s)
    • Create a new Php Execution page. That's new in v404 (see http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry...-Content-Types
    • Use the code in that blog to display that in the new page
    • Set that to be your home page in admincp.
    I read this over again and I'm not sure I understand.

Will v.404 allow direct links to the forum as I am asking?

Leave a comment:

• socceronly
    replied
    Originally posted by Edwin Brown View Post
    Yes, we've had a PM discussion about it. You need v404 to do it right, but in v404 you can.
    • Create a recent thread or recent post widget.
    • Configure to display the appropriate Forum(s)
    • Create a new Php Execution page. That's new in v404 (see http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry...-Content-Types
    • Use the code in that blog to display that in the new page
    • Set that to be your home page in admincp.
    I am trying to, in essence combine the blog and the CMS.

I want the blog on the front page when people come to the site URL, but I want the content menu there as well. So the front page is dynamic, but you can access all the static content too. About, History, Charter....static stuff is also constantly being added, but it is different than the blogs which are about current events.

So I was promoting the blog articles to the front page. But if you have Widgets, Recent Blog and Recent Article it looks stupid cause it repeats in both.

I guess what I am looking for is almost a Wordpress mode. Blog + links to content pages.

Is what you are suggesting above with 4.04 able to achieve this?

I can't find any desirable way to do this now.

Thanks,
    JM

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    I setup an install a few weeks ago a client wanted the cms in the root, and forums in a folder and it worked great, no redirect.

site.com (shows the cms content)
    site.com/forums/ (shows the forum content)

There is a tutorial here on vb.com that I used, I can track down the link if you need.
    Hello,

That's exactly what I want. I checked the help function and noticed it is possible. But the help mentioned creating a text file, what had to be in it and that's that. So, I'm still clueless. Where can I find more info to set this up?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Gumble View Post
    For that you just need to disable article comments on the CMS and people will be forward to that discussion, that is the way i see it and i plan to use for that specific matter (even if i work for now on the CMS as something apart from the forum)
    I have comments disabled but people are not automatically forwarded.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X