Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there still no way to have a CMS front page preview link directly to the forum?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [CMS] Is there still no way to have a CMS front page preview link directly to the forum?

    We are on 4.0.3 and this still has not been addressed? I don't want the article page, just go directly to the forum. This seems relatively easy to do, just change the links?

  • #2
    I don't understand the question. A front page preview is a preview of an article. Why would an article preview link to a forum? Are you referring to the fact that you can't comment on a preview? If so, that is a true statement. Anyway, the two reasons we didn't allow users to comment on previews are (1) It would take up valuable space on the section page, and (2) we thought it would be bad to encourage posting until the user has read the full article or the other comments.

    Or are you talking about a widget?

    Sorry. Could you please expand on your question?
    Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

    Comment


    • #3
      yes you can do this

      site.com/content.php
      site.com/forums/forums.php

      or site.com/ (view of your cms)
      site.com/forums/
      or
      site.com/forums.php

      I think this is what you're asking
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

      Comment


      • #4
        I think what he is asking is the same thing I have been. Lets say for example as in my case we have a forum section called News. As I said to Edwin in my pm I used to be able to have that display on my homepage using Drupal prior to upgrading to the vbul cms. As of yet I havent found a way to have it display the posts on the homepage in place of the articles/content.

        Comment


        • #5
          If I understand what Loco is talking about its the same thing Edwin suggested. However all that does is essentially redirect the LINK itself....not the content.

          Comment


          • #6
            I setup an install a few weeks ago a client wanted the cms in the root, and forums in a folder and it worked great, no redirect.

            site.com (shows the cms content)
            site.com/forums/ (shows the forum content)

            There is a tutorial here on vb.com that I used, I can track down the link if you need.
            -- Web Developer for hire
            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

            Comment


            • #7
              Ya Loco....thats not what i think he or at least I was trying to figure out. I do regular news posts in my forums. What I myself was after was getting those to display in the homepage as well in place of the content/articles. I could be wrong but I suspect that is what the OP was looking at too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, we've had a PM discussion about it. You need v404 to do it right, but in v404 you can.
                • Create a recent thread or recent post widget.
                • Configure to display the appropriate Forum(s)
                • Create a new Php Execution page. That's new in v404 (see http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry...-Content-Types
                • Use the code in that blog to display that in the new page
                • Set that to be your home page in admincp.
                Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  So to answer the question still not yet but soon hopefully

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Edwin Brown View Post
                    I don't understand the question. A front page preview is a preview of an article. Why would an article preview link to a forum? Are you referring to the fact that you can't comment on a preview? If so, that is a true statement. Anyway, the two reasons we didn't allow users to comment on previews are (1) It would take up valuable space on the section page, and (2) we thought it would be bad to encourage posting until the user has read the full article or the other comments.

                    Or are you talking about a widget?

                    Sorry. Could you please expand on your question?
                    Yes, look at the front page CMS. You see a bunch of article previews. When you click on one or click read more it takes you to an article page. I don't want the article page, I want it to go STRAIGHT to the forum to the post it was promoted from.

                    The forum is the article comments section and the forum is where the articles are generated. I don't need an intermediary page.
                    Last edited by sticky; Thu 29 Apr '10, 5:49am.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In general articles are just articles. You can create them from forum posts or blog posts, and if you do so those articles have a link back. In general that's a minority of articles. So we do not have a standard page that does what you want. With the php content type you'll be able to do that, and you could do that now with a php widget, but it would take an hour or so from someone who understands php. Come to think of it, add another hour because they'll probably need to create a new template off the current one.
                      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Edwin Brown View Post
                        In general articles are just articles. You can create them from forum posts or blog posts, and if you do so those articles have a link back. In general that's a minority of articles. So we do not have a standard page that does what you want. With the php content type you'll be able to do that, and you could do that now with a php widget, but it would take an hour or so from someone who understands php. Come to think of it, add another hour because they'll probably need to create a new template off the current one.
                        Well, in general my articles are promoted posts. I don't need a separate section, the forum is the heart for all of it.

                        All I need is for the article link to go to the post it was promoted from. This should at least be an option. Isn't that the way VBadvanced works?

                        I'm not sure what php content type is, would you please explain?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What you want is sort of the featured content news or similar that is often used in vbadvanced, but actually you dealing with a complete different product, vbadvanced is a portal system, it have nothing to do with a CMS there is a lot of differences between both.

                          If i correctly understand Eldwin that option will be possible in the next upgrade, and the widget type mencioned is in fact what you actually use to manage the boxes as you want on vbadvanced, that will propably bring up other mod often requested the java preview featured box linking directly to the forum, and in my opinion thats the best way to work with that, articles should stay independent of the forum and i really like the way it is set about comments from users.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sticky View Post
                            Well, in general my articles are promoted posts. I don't need a separate section, the forum is the heart for all of it.
                            There is a lot of users making the same, that saves time to actually publishing articles or work in dedicated articles, but thats a real cool option i see on vBulletin, you can promote things to the cms as you wish or create dedicated content and work that in other way the forum cant provide or should be designed for, i use to make my own content, and the plans i have is to always keep it that way, i will promote forum or blog articles if those are good, fit the CMS and the poster agree with that, and all that flexibility in fact makes the CMS dynamic more flexible then other CMS 's i have been using in the past.

                            All i personally miss is the featured content box able to link to forums or articles, even if there is already few mods on vbulletin.org to work with that...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gumble View Post
                              What you want is sort of the featured content news or similar that is often used in vbadvanced, but actually you dealing with a complete different product, vbadvanced is a portal system, it have nothing to do with a CMS there is a lot of differences between both.

                              If i correctly understand Eldwin that option will be possible in the next upgrade, and the widget type mencioned is in fact what you actually use to manage the boxes as you want on vbadvanced, that will propably bring up other mod often requested the java preview featured box linking directly to the forum, and in my opinion thats the best way to work with that, articles should stay independent of the forum and i really like the way it is set about comments from users.
                              I understand there are a lot of differences between both but VBadvanced does one thing correctly that I want, which is taking one directly to the forum when they click on an article.

                              I may have misunderstood, I did not gather from Edwin that this would be an option in the next release.

                              I disagree with you, my articles are forum posts and the comments are the posts in the thread. I don't need separate comments or separate articles, just convolutes things and keeps discussion off the forum where I want it.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X