Making Forums Unsearchable by Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Making Forums Unsearchable by Google

Is there a way to block Google from searching some of the forums on my site?

Create a file called robots.txt and place it in your forum directory, or one level below your forum folder if there is one. Put the following in robots.txt file.

User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      Create a file called robots.txt and place it in your forum directory, or one level below your forum folder if there is one. Put the following in robots.txt file.

Very funny. But it doesn't answer the question.

Cort, what you do is make the forum non-viewable by Guests (i.e., only logged in members can view the specified forums). There is more than one way to do this but the simplest is:
      1. Go to Admin CP | Forums and Moderators | Forum Permissions
      2. Scroll down to the forums you don't want indexed and click on Edit next to Unregistered / Not Logged In
      3. Set permissions to All No
      4. Save
      Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
      Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

Oops, yes the robots example above would disallow all the forums to be indexed.

It's unclear if the OP wants to restrict "Unregistered / Not Logged In" from viewing this specific forum, or just restrict Google from indexing it?

Comment

Thanks for the info. Interesting - after thinking about it I would actually like guests to be able to view those forums but for the posts not to show up on Google. These are 'community lounge' and 'personal story' forums.
          Last edited by Cort; Sun 25 Apr '10, 1:31pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

if I was to do this I would place robots.txt in the root Forum directory and then in the file

Disallow: / put the names of forums that I want to target? For instance I would want to target the 'Community Lounge' and "Introduce Yourself' forums that are embedded in the 'Community' section.

Would I put

Disallow: /"Community Lounge" " Introduce Yourself" or
            Disallow:/ "Community/Community Lounge" or ???

Comment

Browse to your Community Lounge forum and note the forumnid number. If the "f=number" is 5 then you would put the following in your robots.txt file:

/forumdisplay.php?f=5

The one problem is that if someone were you link a thread or post in this forum, Google can follow that threads and index it. So the only real way of keeping Google from indexing those forums is to make the forum private and only allow members to view it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X