Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifiying the CMS sidebar? Blocks and Widgets? Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Modifiying the CMS sidebar? Blocks and Widgets? Oh My!

Okay, I searched.

I attempted to read the non existant manual.

I explored.

I failed.

1. How the heck does one modify the content of the CMS sidebar? Not the actual blog, forum, and comments, but add or change or reorder the "blocks or widgets".

2. Which brings me to my second question.... What is the difference between a block and a widget? So far, the only thing I can figure out is that they are exactly the same, except widgets are blocks only available to the front page CMS, while blocks are widgets only available to the "sidebar" available on the forum.

3. Which brings me to my third question. Why is the sidebar on the forum, different than the sidebar on the CMS? They are both Sidebars, are they not? Kind of like Thing 1 and Thing 2. After reading the comments posted here by the tecnocrati, I see a huge amount of angst, and I am beginning to see why. So Sidebar 1 (CMS) is not like Sidebar 2 (Forum), and we can never have a Sidebar 3(Blog?).

Okay, figured out the first answer. But why is the first and second column highligheted in yellow and the CMS sidebar not? It implied to me that it was fixed and unmodifiable..... That's kinda dumb.

2. Still trying to figure out the logic behind the widget and the block system.... If I had to guess, one set of programmers were working on the CMS and the other set were working on the forum, and when they tried to merge the two, managment bailed out on making a decision of which one would win, so they went with both, forever damning the user community to having to create two different items for the exact same functionality. Duh. That's what happens when you get management by committee. Tell me, were women in charge? (just kidding, maybe... at least someone might respond now. Probably a woman.

3. Okay, figured out Sidebar 1 and Sidebar 2 ideology. Installed sidebar anywhere hack, which works everywhere except cms. Darn.

Comment

2. Yes, the widgets and sidebars were done by different people. Widgets require the more new complex (read computationally expensive) boot process, so they can do a lot more. That's the way of the future. Sidebars don't. They were fairly quick to develop, and there probably will never be more of them than there are today.
      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X