Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Quick template customization tips

Hi there,

Just downloaded today the latest v4.0.3 suite and installed it from scratch for a new site.
    No problem until now, everything works great.

Now I wanted to quickly change some colors here and there.
    I used Firebug to identify the elements on my page I wanted to alter then went to Style Manager/Style Variable Editor and tried to find the corresponding element in the list.
    As there is no more CSS page (This CSS file is obsolete and is available here for reference purposes only) , I spent quite some time for small updates.

Am I doing it the right way?
    Is there any way to go a bit faster?

THANK YOU all for your help!

Roger

There is no "quick and easy" ways with the current vBulletin styling system.
    Skinbox - Quality & Cheap vBulletin 4 skins

Comment

vB4 now has CSS templates. You will find them in the Edit Template area - double-click on CSS Templates group to see them all. vB4 also uses StyleVars which are in the same dropdown as Edit Templates, only select StyleVars. There are some articles written about this if you go to the Home tab.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thank you Olivier and Lynne!!

Comment

Stylevars at first can seem abit daunting, but once you get into it its not too hard. Just remember that some stylevars controls more than 1 CSS element of the site
          Bluepearl Skins - vBulletin 4 & 5 Skins

Comment

Thanks Griffin!

Yes you're right, probably need to "practice" these stylevars...

I can already manage but found it quite long to identify the correct field in the stylevars controls.
            I mean I wanted to try changing the header's color, went to stylevars opened "header color" and ...should have opened "header background" instead .
            Sometimes can be much more tricky and I must search for a while before identifying the correct field. I do use Firebug but still not always very clear...

But I guess I'm not the only one and just need to persist...

Comment

I went a bit quick in answering Griffin's post without mentioning the EXCELLENT work done by "Fei Leung" from VB4 Team.
              His "vB4_Skinning_Forums_Steps.pdf" and "Forum StyleVar Visual Dictionary 2.0.pdf" are a GREAT help and I will read these 2 over and over.
              Should have started by that (Thanks Lynne) but never too late.

So guys if you're like me, trying to 'master' these stylevars, first click on the link below:
              Skinning-Your-Forum-in-10-Easy-Steps

Great job!

Roger
              Last edited by RogerLee; Sun 18 Apr '10, 10:56pm. Reason: replace a word

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X