Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admin approval required for membership - is this possible?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Okay, then AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit the (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation usergroup, REMOVE all of thier permissions (set them to no).
    But if I do that, then the existing members of this group (ie the children) will no longer be able to view the forum or post.

    I'm getting very confused by this.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
      Seems like your question has already been answered. You can put new registrants in moderation with what ever permissions you assign. What more do you need?
      I know that.

      I don't want them to be in moderation though.

      Seems like nobody understands what I am asking. All I want to know is whether there is a feature like in phpbb.

      e.g:
      • Someone registers.
      • Admin get an email saying they registered and can approve it or not.
      • Meanwhile the person who registered gets an email saying they are awaiting admin approval, and once they get that, they can post.


      What I don't want to do is top the existing COPPA members from posting or viewing the forums, which if I'm understanding correcvly, is what is being suggested.

      Comment


      • #18
        After children have registered, why don't you "moderate" them and then put them in a usergroup called "children" and set the permissions you want to allow them there? They shouldn't be left in "users awaiting moderation".

        Comment


        • #19
          You can create as many groups as you like, each with whatever permissions you assign. I'm just a noobie at this, so don't take anything I say as the final word. Sorry if I seemed impatient at first.
          Last edited by nakedanvil; Sun 18 Apr '10, 12:46pm.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
            You can create as many groups as you like, each with whatever permissions you assign.
            I could, but that's what I though "COPPA" was for, besides I don't see how that would achieve what I want.

            Comment


            • #21
              I guess in that case I don't know what you want. Start over and list exactly what you want each group to be able to do. I "think" COPPA is just for screening. After registration and approval, what do you think it achieves that a "children" user group would not?

              Zachery: Don't mean to butt in too much, just trying to help out and learn at the same time. Sometime being a noob makes it easier for me to understand and explain. (And sometimes not, I suppose).

              Edit: After review, I may not know enough about COPPA to be speaking on the subject. I don't use it. But I still have a group "awaiting moderation" which is where I thought this started.
              Last edited by nakedanvil; Sun 18 Apr '10, 3:22pm.

              Comment


              • #22
                Users in COPPA are there because they're too young to leaglly be on your board without your parrents approval. You should not be letting them view/post on your forums without getting the COPPA form from their parrents.

                Comment


                • #23
                  So, after moderating by parental approval, do they stay in COPPA or are they put into another usergroup (typically)?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Once you recieve their parrents approval in the form you're supposed to move them into another group then not change the COPPA checkbox

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Thanks Zac! I understand now. I hope the OP does too.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                        Users in COPPA are there because they're too young to leaglly be on your board without your parrents approval. You should not be letting them view/post on your forums without getting the COPPA form from their parrents.
                        That's right, I have the forms from the parents

                        Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
                        So, after moderating by parental approval, do they stay in COPPA or are they put into another usergroup (typically)?
                        They go into another group which I call "COPPA approved", and they have permissions to post but no PMs and posts are moderated.

                        Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                        Once you recieve their parrents approval in the form you're supposed to move them into another group then not change the COPPA checkbox
                        I know that. it's exactly what I have done

                        Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
                        Thanks Zac! I understand now. I hope the OP does too.
                        Yes, I understand about usergroups and permissions etc, but this was not my question. (see post 1 and 17)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                          Okay, then AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit the (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation usergroup, REMOVE all of thier permissions (set them to no). Then enable User Moderation under Use Registration Options
                          The problem with that is if COPPA is enabled, everyone who joins (whatever their age) is asked for a parental form.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            RE: Post #1)
                            Originally posted by Mermaid View Post
                            Is it possible to make it so that after someone has registered, their account is inactive until an admin approves it (as with phpbb) ?

                            Thanks
                            Yes, "administrator approval" is just another phrase for "moderation".

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              RE Post #17)
                              Originally posted by Mermaid View Post
                              • Someone registers.
                              • Admin get an email saying they registered and can approve it or not.
                              • Meanwhile the person who registered gets an email saying they are awaiting admin approval, and once they get that, they can post.

                              .
                              Again; admin approval is the same thing as moderation.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
                                Again; admin approval is the same thing as moderation.
                                I can understand how this may be true, albeit a bit confusing. But actually implementing it is till eluding me. I'm sure it's possible, but it seems complicated.

                                So far it looks like I can't do this if I have COPPA enabled, and also I have to change the default settings for the COPPA usergroup.

                                But I always thought COPPA was to do with child protection laws, so why it's even a part of this discussion seems odd.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X