Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admin approval required for membership - is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Admin approval required for membership - is this possible?

Is it possible to make it so that after someone has registered, their account is inactive until an admin approves it (as with phpbb) ?

Thanks

In your options menu under "User Registration options" check off "moderate new members"

Comment

I thought that just means new members need moderating when they post?

I want to actually stop them posting until I have approved them.

Comment

I guess this isn't possible then?

Comment

No, it means they're put into the users awaiting moderation usergroup and cannot post until you approve them. Which would put them into usergroup 2 (default registration usergroup).

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            No, it means they're put into the users awaiting moderation usergroup and cannot post until you approve them. Which would put them into usergroup 2 (default registration usergroup).
            No, this isn't what I meant.

If they are in users awaiting moderation, they can still post (but the posts need moderating before they appear).

What I want is for them to not even be able to post at all (even posts requiring moderation) until they are approved. I guess this is not possible. It's a useful feature on phpbb.

Comment

No they can't that is not how the usergroup is configured by default.

By default Users awaiting Moderation / COPPA usergroup has no permissions. The only way they could make posts is if you've modified the usergroup permissions on the group.

Comment

I'm confused now. I have (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation, but I thought that was for Children. That group does have permissions to post, but they need moderating.

Comment

Its both the COPPA usergroup, AND the users awaiting moderation Usergroup.

Then the permissions have been changed. By default they have no permissions to do anything.

Comment

I do this on my site. I manually approve all registrations. So people sign up, and they can't post until I approve or delete the account (due to spambots)

Comment

Originally posted by m52 View Post
                      I do this on my site. I manually approve all registrations. So people sign up, and they can't post until I approve or delete the account (due to spambots)
                      Yes, this is what I do on my phpbb forums. can you tell me how to do it with vbulletin?

Comment

Originally posted by Mermaid View Post
                        Yes, this is what I do on my phpbb forums. can you tell me how to do it with vbulletin?
                        Change the COPPA, Users Awaiting moderation usergroup back to the original permissions not to do anything and then enable user moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                          Change the COPPA, Users Awaiting moderation usergroup back to the original permissions not to do anything and then enable user moderation.
                          I haven't changed it in the first place. But even if I click on "reset" to make sure some setting hasn't got changed by accident, nothing happens anyway.

But even so this is not what I am asking. Surely they need some permissions, e.g. to be able to view forums??? I don't want them to be in a groups with no permissions.

I want people to register so they have a profile that I can check out and then approve them. All I want to know is if there is a way to do this as you can with phpbb.

Comment

Okay, then AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit the (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation usergroup, REMOVE all of thier permissions (set them to no). Then enable User Moderation under Use Registration Options

Comment

Seems like your question has already been answered. You can put new registrants in users awaiting moderation with what ever permissions you assign. What more do you need?
                              Last edited by nakedanvil; Sun 18 Apr '10, 12:29pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X