No announcement yet.

VB4 is extremely slow compared to VB3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] VB4 is extremely slow compared to VB3?

I have a VB3 website here:
    http://www.8wayrun.com/index.php

Code:
    Page generated in 0.31988 seconds with 28 queries [Server Loads: 1.04 : 0.55 : 0.38]
    It's very fast, and none of my users have been reporting any problems. However, I have recently begun testing VB4. This is running on the same server, at the same time and it seems to be running FAR slower.

http://test.8wayrun.com/index.php

Is this normal? Also, the CMS seems to have MASSIVE template caching issues...

Code:
    Page generated in 4.82897 seconds with 103 queries (16 queries for uncached templates) [Server Loads: 0.96 : 0.54 : 0.38]
    Uncached Template: bbcode_video (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_article_css (7)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_content_article_preview (7)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_content_section_page (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_content_section_type4 (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_grid_5 (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_page (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_searchresult_blogentry (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_toolbar (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_widget_categorynavall_page (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_widget_column (3)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_widget_newarticles_page (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_widget_recentblogposts_page (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_widget_recentcmscomments_page (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_widget_recentforumposts_page (1)
    Uncached Template: vbcms_widget_sectionnavext_page (1)

You know you need two licenses to run a live test site and a public site right?

Comment

Because yes, that will really do well to keep me as a customer... completely IGNORE my post and complain that I didn't buy your ****ty VB4 software TWICE. Plus, I'm pretty sure the vBulletin license agreement gives me the right to set up a test forum for me to test upgrades and modification before I implement them on my live forum.

Comment

Jaxel I assume it's widely accepted that VB4 is much, much slower. I certainly noticed it, and so did the majority of my membership.

I tweaked with a few settings and it improved things a fair bit.

I'd advise this mod;

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229608

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          You know you need two licenses to run a live test site and a public site right?
          Is that really a problem for you guys if someone just wants to test things out on a test installation? One would think replying to his question is more important.

Comment

Is there any word on what IB is doing to fix this problem? If it can be fixed at all? 0.3 seconds to load a page, versus 5 seconds to load a page is just an unacceptable hit to speed. I try to follow something called the "2 second rule" when it comes to managing my websites. When a user is browsing a page, if it takes more than 2 seconds to load, chances are they will close the page and move on. More than 2 seconds causes frustration, not only for me, but for my users as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ojlert View Post

Is that really a problem for you guys if someone just wants to test things out on a test installation? One would think replying to his question is more important.
              A test site cannot be open to the public - that one is. It needs to be behind an .htaccess password to comply with the license. This has always been the case.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B
                A test site cannot be open to the public - that one is. It needs to be behind an .htaccess password to comply with the license. This has always been the case.
                Alright, fair enough.

Comment

I did the same test and removed the test after of course, but I can confirm, vB4 is much slower than vB3.

Comment

As for your rest fo your question, sorry i though i wrote more.

You're comparing a custom third party addon to the vBulletin CMS.
                    How many search widgets are you running, was this your first visit to the page? Did you have any other visits after the first visit? If the cache is expired the CMs rebuilds its cache before sending the data, which can take time.

On a vB4.0.2 test bed my CMS is reporting the following: Page Generation 0.17266 secondsMemory Usage 9,175KB Queries Executed 61 (?)
                    On the explain page: Page generated in 0.768669128418 seconds with 64 queries, spending 0.018764257431 doing MySQL queries and 0.749904870987 doing PHP things.

You can see the queries have almost no impact on the page generation time compared to the php side of things. I don't have an unmodified 4.0.3 test bed yet though which was supposed to have more cms improvements.
                    We really don't have anything to test the vb4 cms agasint, the third party addons are not the same.

For the vB4 forumhome page: Page Generation 0.08188 secondsMemory Usage 4,306KB Queries Executed 17 (?)
                    Again this is a customized forum with some addons running, compared to our 3.8 install Page Generation 0.07511 seconds Memory Usage 4,022KB Queries Executed 15

The 3.8 has similiar addons installed, and the time difference is miminal on page generating.

Most of the page generation times are similiar, but not the same.

Comment

My "vbulletin 4 + vbseo" site runs life around 2 to 3 times slower than my former "vbulletin 3.8 + vbseo + other products" site. That goes for forumhome, forumdisplay and showthread.

Comment

This might help:
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...s!-vBulletin-4!

I also found vB4 to load up very slowly after the upgrade. The above link helped a lot though (But it still is slower)

Comment

Originally posted by ThorstenA View Post
                          My "vbulletin 4 + vbseo" site runs life around 2 to 3 times slower than my former "vbulletin 3.8 + vbseo + other products" site. That goes for forumhome, forumdisplay and showthread.
                          Thorsten, is this something you have documented? Like pageload times/render times via a browser plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                            As for your rest fo your question, sorry i though i wrote more.

You're comparing a custom third party addon to the vBulletin CMS.
                            How many search widgets are you running, was this your first visit to the page? Did you have any other visits after the first visit? If the cache is expired the CMs rebuilds its cache before sending the data, which can take time.

On a vB4.0.2 test bed my CMS is reporting the following: Page Generation 0.17266 secondsMemory Usage 9,175KB Queries Executed 61 (?)
                            On the explain page: Page generated in 0.768669128418 seconds with 64 queries, spending 0.018764257431 doing MySQL queries and 0.749904870987 doing PHP things.

You can see the queries have almost no impact on the page generation time compared to the php side of things. I don't have an unmodified 4.0.3 test bed yet though which was supposed to have more cms improvements.
                            We really don't have anything to test the vb4 cms agasint, the third party addons are not the same.

For the vB4 forumhome page: Page Generation 0.08188 secondsMemory Usage 4,306KB Queries Executed 17 (?)
                            Again this is a customized forum with some addons running, compared to our 3.8 install Page Generation 0.07511 seconds Memory Usage 4,022KB Queries Executed 15

The 3.8 has similiar addons installed, and the time difference is miminal on page generating.

Most of the page generation times are similiar, but not the same.
                            Good point, but if I compare the forumhome on my live forum and my test forum, I still get a 6X difference in pageload times.

As well, you mentioned about the CMS having to rebuild it's cache... But the way I am seeing it, the CMS doesn't have a cache! I get tons of caching errors...

Content home:
                            Code:
                            Uncached Template: bbcode_video (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_article_css (7)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_content_article_preview (7)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_content_section_page (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_content_section_type4 (1)
                            Article:
                            Code:
                            Uncached Template: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig (1)
                            Uncached Template: ad_showthread_firstpost_start (1)
                            Uncached Template: ad_thread_first_post_content (1)
                            Uncached Template: blog_postbit_blog_this_post (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_clientscript (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_jsoptions_font (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_jsoptions_size (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smilie (8)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smilie_category (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smilie_row (15)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smiliebox (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_toolbar_colors (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_toolbar_fontname (21)
                            Uncached Template: editor_toolbar_fontsize (7)
                            Uncached Template: editor_toolbar_on (1)
                            Uncached Template: im_aim (1)
                            Uncached Template: newpost_disablesmiliesoption (1)
                            Uncached Template: postbit_ip (1)
                            Uncached Template: postbit_onlinestatus (1)
                            Uncached Template: postbit_reputation (1)
                            Uncached Template: postbit_wrapper (1)
                            Uncached Template: tagbit_wrapper (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_article_css (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_comments_block (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_comments_detail (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_comments_page (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_content_article_page (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_postbit (1)
                            Create Article:
                            Code:
                            Uncached Template: editor_clientscript (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_jsoptions_font (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_jsoptions_size (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smilie (8)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smilie_category (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smilie_row (15)
                            Uncached Template: editor_smiliebox (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_toolbar_colors (1)
                            Uncached Template: editor_toolbar_fontname (21)
                            Uncached Template: editor_toolbar_fontsize (7)
                            Uncached Template: newpost_attachment (1)
                            Uncached Template: newpost_disablesmiliesoption (1)
                            Uncached Template: tagbit_wrapper (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_article_editor (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_content_article_inline (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_content_edit_editbar (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_edit_block (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_edit_metadataeditor (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_edit_page (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_edit_publisher (1)
                            Uncached Template: vbcms_editor_toolbar_on (1)
                            Plus I occasionally get this error on my CMS:
                            Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/packages/vbcms/widget/recentcmscomments.php on line 319

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                              Thorsten, is this something you have documented? Like pageload times/render times via a browser plugin?
                              With vbulletin debug modus, the series 4 displays around 0,60 seconds while series 3 had around 0,15-0,3 seconds. With only around 200 - 300 (400+ only at special peaks) users online I have an 8GB i7 quadcore server running only this forum with server optimization from eva2000.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X