Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading & Migrating from one server to another...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Upgrading & Migrating from one server to another...

I'm kind of confused on how to do this now, due to something I saw in the impex forum about it not being used on fresh installs. Here was my plan: Do a fresh install of 4.0 on the new server. Use impex to bring the database over from 3.8.4 on the old server to 4.0.3 on the new server. Now I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Should I upgrade to vb4, and then migrate and move the database? Should I migrate and then upgrade? I could really use some help on this one.

Originally posted by TheChaosFactor View Post
    I'm kind of confused on how to do this now, due to something I saw in the impex forum about it not being used on fresh installs. Here was my plan: Do a fresh install of 4.0 on the new server. Use impex to bring the database over from 3.8.4 on the old server to 4.0.3 on the new server. Now I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Should I upgrade to vb4, and then migrate and move the database? Should I migrate and then upgrade? I could really use some help on this one.
    The easiest way in my opinion, would be to first upgrade your forum and then migrate it to your new server.

Or you could install the vb 4.0.3. at the new server, restore the db from your 3.8.4 forum and then run the upgrader so it can upgrade the db.

I didn''t go into detailes about the move itself because since you didn''t ask about ti I take it that you are familiar with that process.

P.s. it would be best to use another tool to import the db, like phpmyadmin, or if your db is big you can use mysqldumper, bigdump or ssl, provided your new host allows ssl access. Hope it helps.

Comment

No, I'm not really familiar with the process of moving servers at all. I've only been running my site for about 8 months. I'll take all the advice I can get.

Comment

No, I'm not really familiar with the process of moving servers at all. I've only been running my site for about 8 months. I'll take all the advice I can get.
        If I were you I would first upgrade my forum to vb 4.0.3. (make first a backup of the db prior to doing that) Then make another copy of the db and restore it at a database at the new host. First you will have to create that new db there. Then upload all your forum files to the new server as well. And as last but not least open the config.php file with a php editor program and update it with the new db info. Presuming all went all you should be all set.

Comment

So if I understand correctly:

1. Make db backup
          2. Upgrade software on current server
          3. Create new db at new server
          4. Restore backed up db info to new db at new server
          5. Download all existing files on current server
          6. Upload all files on new server.
          7. Edit config.php to point to the new database
          8. ??
          9. Profit

Sound about right?

Comment

Yes, that sounds about right. Also it would be best to put the forum at the old server into maintenance mod until the move is completed.

Comment

So if I understand correctly:

1. Make db backup
              2. Upgrade software on current server
              3. Create new db at new server
              4. Restore backed up db info to new db at new server
              5. Download all existing files on current server
              6. Upload all files on new server.
              7. Edit config.php to point to the new database
              8. ??
              9. Profit

Sound about right?
              wtf
              1. make db backup
              2. create same db user on new server
              2. move db backup & old files(if you need them) to new server
              3. copy new vB4 files
              4. run upgrade

why everybody is saying that he should install vb4 in the new server and then restore the old 3.x db? That have no sense

Comment

Originally posted by ragtek View Post
                wtf
                1. make db backup
                2. move db backup & old files(if you need them) to new server
                3. copy new vB4 files
                4. run upgrade

why everybody is saying that he should install vb4 in the new server and then restore the old 3.x db? That have no sense

@ragtek, please read my posts carefully before replying and if you have anything to add, then make it constructive

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                  @ragtek, please read my posts carefully before replying and if you have anything to add, then make it constructive
                  i've read it carefully.

and
                  Or you could install the vb 4.0.3. at the new server, restore the db from your 3.8.4 forum and then run the upgrader so it can upgrade the db.
                  is wrong
                  why should anybody install 4.0.3, restore the 3.8.4 database and run the upgrade script? If you install it and restore the database, all the installed 4.0.3 tables would go... so step 1 is useless

Comment

i've read it carefully.

and is wrong
                    why should anybody install 4.0.3, restore the 3.8.4 database and run the upgrade script? If you install it and restore the database, all the installed 4.0.3 tables would go... so step 1 is useless
                    Really? That shows me how much you know about this stuff.

Anyway, to answer your question, that method was mentioned as an alternative way. So when the OP installs vb 4.0.3 and then restores a db from 3.8.4. then all the vb 4.0.3 tables will be overwriten/replaced with those from the vb 3.8.4.. Then by running the upgrader in the install folder of the vb 4.0.3, it will take care to upgrade those tables with the contents to vb 4.0.3.

As I said, if you are going to contradict something then make sure that you know what you are talking about. Or if you want to add something then make sure that it is constructive

My advices above are 100 % solid.

Comment

I know what i'm talking.

You're method works also, but as i said, why should somebody spend his time with installing something when it will be deleteded just after the installation?
                      You only need to copy the vB4 files, nothing else........

Comment

I know what i'm talking.

You're method works also, but as i said, why should somebody spend his time with installing something when it will be deleteded just after the installation?
                        You only need to copy the vB4 files, nothing else........
                        As I said, that was as an alternative method/option as per OP''s question at the first post.

Comment

wtf
                          1. make db backup
                          3. move db backup & old files(if you need them) to new server
                          4. copy new vB4 files
                          5. run upgrade

1. Check

2. Check

3. Check

Now, when I go to the forum home page it shows everything the way it should be. Correct forums, last post, author, all of this information is correct. BUT when I try to open a thread it tells me "No thread specified"... So I go to "Update Counters" and the homepage then shows that I'm the only user and there are no posts or threads in my forum? What gives?

Comment

Nevermind.... I figured it out. Thanks for all the help guys. Somebody can close this thread if they want.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X