Prevent users from editing articles after they're published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Prevent users from editing articles after they're published

How can I prevent users from editing their articles after they're published?

On my site, I'm planning to have a section where users can submit articles to the CMS. After they're submitted, they'll be reviewed/edited by a moderator and then published to the appropriate section. After this has been done, I don't want to the user to have the ability to edit their article anymore (otherwise they could edit their article to put arbitrary content on the site's main homepage).

Workaround #653: Have your users publish their articles to a forum for that purpose set to moderate. Then moderator can promote it to article where user has no edit permission.

Comment

Nope, that doesn't work. The user can edit the post in the CMS after it's promoted.

What I'm looking for is the location of the permission setting: "Can Edit Own Posts" for the CMS. It can be done for forums, there should be an equivalent option for the CMS.

Comment

Why do you allow them permission to edit in the CMS at all?

Comment

They shouldn't be able to "edit", just "submit". My site is based on user-submitted stories.

Comment

Originally posted by amaiman View Post
            Nope, that doesn't work. The user can edit the post in the CMS after it's promoted.

What I'm looking for is the location of the permission setting: "Can Edit Own Posts" for the CMS. It can be done for forums, there should be an equivalent option for the CMS.
            I can only assume you are not listening. Have the user submit the article to a moderated forum set up just for submissions. Because it's moderated, no one will see the submission until it has been moderated.

The moderator promotes it to an article in the CMS. The user never has permission to submit/edit/publish. The user can only edit if you give them permission. Why would you give them permission to "edit the post in the CMS after it's promoted"?

Clunky? A little. Does it do what you want? Seem to. What have I missed? I guess you can keep looking for the non-existant "Can Edit Own Posts" for the CMS. if you want, or say that "there should be an equivalent option for the CMS". Articles (unlike forum posts) can be rather complex and require re-writes, hence the logical idea of allowing the OP to edit.
            Last edited by nakedanvil; Sat 10th Apr '10, 7:34pm.

Comment

No, you're the one who's "not listening". Like I said in my previous post, I tested this. User has only 'Read' access on the CMS. They post to the moderated forum, and then I published the article to the CMS. When I log back in to the user account and go to the CMS, they have the edit icon and ability to edit the article, since the system thinks they're the owner of the article.

The problem is that the CMS allows the owner of a post (whoever originally posted it, be it on the CMS or the forums) to edit the contents of that post at any time, and there doesn't appear to be a permission settings anywhere to prevent them from doing that.

Here are my CMS permissions:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	cms_permissions.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	3678487

With this permission set, a user who posted their story as a forum post which an admin promotes to the CMS can edit the article after it has been published.

The workaround of "cut and paste the user's content into a brand new article created by the admin" is not where I want to go with this, since it's then not easily possible to search for a list of a specific user's contributions (since they will all show up as being authored by the admin)
              Last edited by amaiman; Sat 10th Apr '10, 7:49pm.

Comment

My apologies! Would be nice to be able to lock an article. With the cut and paste idea, you could add "contributor" to their name so it reads " by Contributor Joe Blow" even though their user name is just Joe Blow. Just trying to help out here. Have you looked at the new permissions in 4.0.3 to see if they help?

Nope, you can't change the author name. But you can make it not display and then put the by line in the body. Just trying to find work-arounds. If you don't have too many contributors you could make sections for each to help locating them. Good luck!

So if the permission is inherited from the forum did you try setting "no edit" there?
                Last edited by nakedanvil; Sat 10th Apr '10, 8:13pm.

Comment

Yeah, those are the ones from 4.03. It looks like it's just another one of the missing features from CMS (it's far from being ready for "prime time").

Thanks for trying to help, though. I think someone from VB would have to fix the code to actually resolve this.

In the meantime, I'll have to go poke around in the source code, I can probably hard code a way to disable the edit feature for non-admin users. I didn't want to do it that way, though, since I'll have to re-do it after each version update (unless they actually fix it).

Comment

I filed a bug report on this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/project.php?issueid=37461

Comment