No announcement yet.

What is useful about Facebook connect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] What is useful about Facebook connect?

All I can see so far is a shared log in..
    Holiday Forum
    Motor Car Forum
    Political Forum
    Web Hosting Forum

I only glanced at the first 4-5 links you gave, but none of those have anything at all to do with the OP's question.

I haven't installed 403 yet, but I also haven't installed FB connect mod. I do however, use twitterfeed to echo threads to our FB fan page. I am as yet undecided if this is worth enabling, but now that it's built-in, I guess I will. It just leverages the overwhelming presence of FB in today's internet.

Comment

I'm wondering the same thing. I really don't see the usefulness of this at this point. I tested it out using the FConnect on this site, and I'm still required to register on this site, so it's not exactly a transparent sign-on from facebook. In addition when I try to link my facebook account to my profile here I get an error about the date needs to be between 1901 and 2010 or something like that.

Seems mighty useless to me.

Can someone please shed some light on exactly what my users will get and/or benefit from by enabling FBConnect?

Comment

I installed 4.0.3 but I don't use Facebook connect, I think that on my forum users prefer privacy above facebook integration.

When a user signs on via facebook what data wil be visable on my forum for other users?
        Facebook uses full names will they be displayed to other users?
        Please vote for:
        - Lightbox for all uploads
        - Attachment permissions for unregistered users

Comment

Okay maybe not every threads answered the OP's question, my point was there are tons of threads about the facebook connect already.
          Personally, I think the OP was trolling, but that's just me.

Here is the simple answer..

It allows your your guest to sign up in one click if they are on facebook.

But I'm sure we all knew that already
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
            It allows your your guest to sign up in one click if they are on facebook.
            Actually, no, it doesn't. I just tried it and after logging in with my facebook account it took me to a page where I could either log in with an existing account on vb.com and link it to my FB account or create a new account on vb.com and link it to my FB account. Not exactly "one click" registration if you ask me.

So again, what's the point of facebook connect, other than me being able to say "hey facebook users, c'mon over and sign up for my forum"? But then I was already able to do that with my facebook fan page...

Still seems rather useless to me, and I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to explain what exactly the facebook connect feature offers.

Comment

We don't have one click enabled here Its an administrators choice which they want to impliment.

Comment

just to reiterate my point, I logged out of the forum, closed my browser and reopened vb.com/forum to make sure all the session data was gone.

I clicked the Fconnect button and signed in using my girlfriend's facebook account (since mine is already linked to my account here). I came to a page that made me enter my birthdate. After entering that I came to this registration page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	3678601

Which is pretty much the standard user registration page. To me that's not even close to "one click" registration. That's just registration through a different channel.

So someone, please tell me what the difference between me telling my fans on facebook "come over to my forums and click the Fconnect button to sign up for my forum" and "come over to my forums and click the register link to sign up for my forum"?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  We don't have one click enabled here Its an administrators choice which they want to impliment.
                  Hmmm. ok. So if you have it turned off, then there is ZERO additional functionality at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by pitrow View Post
                    Hmmm. ok. So if you have it turned off, then there is ZERO additional functionality at this point?
                    We (vbulletin solutions) do not have one click enabled here (vBulletin.com). Its up to each individual Administrator to choose how they want this implimented on their own forum.

After you register here, you can come back and just click the FB connect button and be logged in instantly. We're adding more functionality to the system in 4.0.4

Comment

Thanks Zachery.

I'm still trying to figure this out and if it's worthwhile for me to implement. Can you answer a couple more questions.

If the admin has one click registration turned ON, and someone logs in through Fconnect, but they already have an account on the forum, what happens. Does it create a new account, or is there a way to link the two? If it creates a separate account, can you merge the two accounts and have that work? What is the protocol that should be followed if an existing forum user wants to connect their account with facebook? Login to the forum first, then click the Fconnect button?

If the admin has one click registration turned OFF, and once a user links Fconnect to an existing account, is it then possible to login two ways? Through the Fconnect button using the facebook login, and also using the regular login function and the existing username/password?

Thanks.

Comment

you can disable it if you don't like it

don't forget, facebook just dropped fb connect and adopted a new API

FB connect is a good thing, a one click twitter connect would be awesome as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                          you can disable it if you don't like it
                          I realize that. I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to enable it or not. Whether my users will see it as a useful feature, or just too much hassle to bother with and not enough features.

The way I read it, Fconnect is not "going away" they are just transitioning the name to fall under the same API as all the other applications instead of it's own "brand"

From Facebook's F8 notes page:
                          Facebook Connect

As you may have seen, we're transitioning away from the Facebook Connect brand to reflect that there is one underlying platform behind any integration with Facebook, whether you are building an application on Facebook.com, a website, or on a device. This change has no impact for the 250,000 sites using Facebook Connect today. All the same technologies exist on Facebook Platform, so no transition is needed. An option you may want to consider, though, is using either the "Login with Facebook" button or our new button with faces, which have seen higher conversion rates.
                          (emphasis added)

Comment

Yes I agree, but we've (at least I) clearly explained what it's for.

Facebook Connect is Facebook's latest addition to its development platform. It enables developers to leverage the power of Facebook's social context in existing, third-party Web sites. The platform features seamless, one-click authentication, Facebook friend account linking, distribution back into Facebook streams, and the full power of the Facebook REST-like API and FQL. Utilizing Facebook Connect for authentication has proven to dramatically increase site exposure and new user registrations.
                            source
                            http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee702803.aspx

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X