Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Banning Hackers

Dear vBulletin and members,

I spend ages each day and week, laboriously writing down bogus member registrations and adding them to my Banned Users list ...

Is there a way to instantly add ' hackers ' to a blocked list without them being added to the total member stats at the foot of the forum main page ?

For instance it would be ideal to have a fourth option in the Users Awaiting Moderation Admin Control Panel beside where it gives you the options to : Accept, Delete, Ignore ... to also have one more that reads ' Blocked '

Please advise.

www.vbulletin.org - There are a few modifications there that help with blocking out spam.

Comment

May I wager to guess that you are using some form of image verification? I have found that a very simple question, specific to your site's content, is the most effective method of avoiding spam accounts. I used both Captcha and Re-captcha, which both resulted in a very high rate of spammer account registrations. As soon as I configured a simple question, that all went away.

I suspect that this is due to the fact that any idoit with a US keyboard can copy characters from an image. On the other hand, someone has to have a grasp of the subject nature of your site to answer a question. My biggest offenders were Russia, China, Israel, and Singapore.

Comment

Lynk

I really appreciate your quick reply.

How would I go about configuring a question ?

For instance Q: What is a CABG ?

But wouldn't this elicit many different answers some longer than others and wouldn't I still have to check all applicants ?

Please advise further.

Thanks.

Comment

Azonaco

You have kindly given me another link address but no other directions to the answers to my questions ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lars A View Post
            Lynk

I really appreciate your quick reply.

How would I go about configuring a question ?

For instance Q: What is a CABG ?

But wouldn't this elicit many different answers some longer than others and wouldn't I still have to check all applicants ?

Please advise further.

Thanks.
            Q: Leonardo Da Vinci painted Portrait of Mona ????
            A: lisa

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

But do you have to provide a list of possible answers or leave that blank ?

I just had a go at setting this up in the Admin Control panel and you can add as many answers as you wish ... but then how does this appear to new registrants ? As a list ? Because there is no way of telling the vB software which is the correct answer !?! I went into Edit and there are no options for that ...

Comment

The new registrant must provide a text answer. The answer is case-insensitive, and must match only one of the valid answers that you provide in the control panel. For example, on my forums, for a specific line of motorcycles, I simply ask for the name of the manufacturer.

Comment

Given the nature of your forums, I suggest something like the following: What human organ is responsible for pumping blood?

You could then configure two possible answers: "heart" and "the heart."

Comment

Hi again Lynk

I really appreciate you spending the time with me trying to sort this.

So ... let me see if I have got this straight ...

a) I must provide just one correct answer to the question ?

b) The answer must be just one word ?

or c) I must provide alternative word-strings ?

d) all answer options are seen by the new registrant ?

vB really lets its members down by not providing clear answers like this ...

Comment

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Thanks beishe8

So I have to list all possible permutations of the answer in upper and lower case and consider spellings in other languages too ?

ie; information ... informazione ... ?

Comment

No. The answer does not depend on case, however, it DOES depend on spelling. I wouldn't be adding possible spellings to account for a prospective member being able to spell or not. If they can't get that simple process right, I don't want 'em on the site.
                          I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

His question has still not been answered and I have the same question:

How do we keep banned people and spammers from counting as registered users? It skews the data of the site

Comment

That's not his primary question. He's asking how to setup the "Question/Answer" option during login.

And there is currently no way built within the default software to omit banned members from the total tally.
                              I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X