Forum Getting hit with Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Forum Getting hit with Spam

Noticed over the last 2 weeks my forum really getting hit hard by spammers ... seems to have ocurred after I upgraded to 4.0

Looks like they are getting past the captcha image verification and they are confirming their registration ok via email.

Then they come in the board edit their profile to have ads in their and then they begin to post. The weird thing is their posts are somewhat relevent to the threads they are replying to. Sometimes they dont make sense but sometimes they do believe it or not.

Anyone else seeing this?

Originally posted by captainron19 View Post
    Noticed over the last 2 weeks my forum really getting hit hard by spammers ... seems to have ocurred after I upgraded to 4.0

Looks like they are getting past the captcha image verification and they are confirming their registration ok via email.

Then they come in the board edit their profile to have ads in their and then they begin to post. The weird thing is their posts are somewhat relevent to the threads they are replying to. Sometimes they dont make sense but sometimes they do believe it or not.

Anyone else seeing this?
    I have had some similiar cases as well but slightly different. In the begin they made a cuople of totally normal and revelant posts and then they switched to those wiered spamming posts. Very strange indeed.

Comment

I dont even give them the chance to do that. It seems they tend to fill out the profile fields I have set up in the registration process but the tip off is that they just tend to put anything in the fields (thinking it is required to register) sometimes they put their username in every field and sometimes they just put a 2 digit number in every one.

But like I said the weird thing is ... they are taking the time to complete the registration process by replying to the email or else they would not be able to post

Comment

Originally posted by captainron19 View Post
        I dont even give them the chance to do that. It seems they tend to fill out the profile fields I have set up in the registration process but the tip off is that they just tend to put anything in the fields (thinking it is required to register) sometimes they put their username in every field and sometimes they just put a 2 digit number in every one.

But like I said the weird thing is ... they are taking the time to complete the registration process by replying to the email or else they would not be able to post
        The thing at my forum is that they used normal username and addresses. Also their first posts seemed very normal and after that the spamming began. That makes me think that the persons who register are human spammers and once they get through to a forum, the automated bots take over.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
          The thing at my forum is that they used normal username and addresses. Also their first posts seemed very normal and after that the spamming began. That makes me think that the persons who register are human spammers and once they get through to a forum, the automated bots take over.
          I agree barbole. I think it's humans signing up, then sometimes even making a "sensible" post, then turning a bot loose.

I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is having a good mod/admin team.

Comment

Originally posted by Harv View Post
            I agree barbole. I think it's humans signing up, then sometimes even making a "sensible" post, then turning a bot loose.

I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is having a good mod/admin team.
            Yep.. And I've also instituted a policy where new members do not have access to PMs or signature blocks until they've made "x" amount of posts. Once they pass that test, they're automatically promoted to full member status and are given full perks across the board.
            I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

Use the Questions & Answer system, it works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Biker View Post
                Yep.. And I've also instituted a policy where new members do not have access to PMs or signature blocks until they've made "x" amount of posts. Once they pass that test, they're automatically promoted to full member status and are given full perks across the board.
                GMTA I made an additional user group that new users are promoted to after 5 posts called "participating users". After their initial 5 posts they can PM, etc.

Comment

Heh... I haven't told anyone how many posts are needed to get promoted. Only I, and I alone know that. That way there's not a mad rush of posting to make the magic number.

Comment

The only thing I have found that works it to do searches on each ip, email address, then search the email address with only the name portion, and then the user name. One big sign is when you find them banned on 8 different forums.

This is why I find it very frustrating that even someone that has not responded to the email can navigate around other than as a guest.

Comment

You do know that you can set permissions for those that have registered, but not yet responded to the system generated email (if that's what you have set up)? If you want those users to be treated the same as guests, just change the group permissions to match those of your guest group.

Comment

They also show up online. On this issue I wish it work just like smf. They can't do anything with the ID including lurk until they are approved.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X