Set /forum.php to the default / main page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Set /forum.php to the default / main page

Hi all, Quick question and prolly a silly one if that...

I want to set this as my main page: http://vb4style.com/forum.php

currently when you go to http://vb4style.com it directs you to: http://vb4style.com/content.php and i would much rather send people to my forums then to my main cms... is this possible to change without effecting SERP's ??

Thanks in advanced

Edit your index.php file.

See the example below.

Originally posted by Example
    /**
    * Use the CMS as the default script:
    */

// require('content.php');

/**
    * Use the forum as the default script:
    */

require('forum.php');
    This section of your index.php should look like the above example to achieve your desired result. (Comment out require('content.php'); with the '//')
    To be updated...

Comment

Excellent thanks for this

Was unsure if this was possible or not.. appreciate your feedback.

Regards, Darren

Comment

How to Set Forum as Homepage in Vbulletin 4

In Vbulletin 4 CMS got one home page and forum got another home page. By default vbulletin 4 has CMS home page shown as the default home page.

If you want to set forum as home page you can do it in two ways.

Option 1:
        1. Find index.php in the installation folder. Open the index.php file in a text editor.
        2. At the bottom find this line
        require('content.php');
        Comment out this line as with two forward slashes
        //require('content.php');
        3. Find this line
        //require('forum.php');
        By default its commented. Take off the two forward slashes to uncomment it as
        require('forum.php');

Option 2:
        • Find index.php in the installation folder. Rename index.php to something else e.g. index_discarded.php
        • Find forum.php in the installation folder. Rename it to index.php
        • Login to admin cp
        • Expand settings
        • Click on options
        • Click on Forums Home Page Options from the menu and then click on Edit Settings button
        • Find the section "Script Name for Forum Home Page". By default forum is the value in the textbox there.
        • Change the textbox value to index
        • Click on the Save button
        GeekWorld - Go On, Get Your GeekWorld Out...... | [email protected] Link Directory - Free Reciprocal Link Exchange
        Shareberg Link Directory - Free Reciprocal Link Exchange
        ====================
        ProHosterZ - Domain Registration, Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers, & Web Services
        99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 7 Day Money Back Guarantee, 24/7 Premium Support
        █ Follow Us on Twitter @prohosterz More Info Visit: ProHosterz.com

Comment

And then you have to follow these steps upon every vBulletin update, or delete the index.php file from the new release prior to uploading to the server.

That's odd.

I wonder why there is no such setting inside the /admincp to achieve this.
          ComunidadHosting Web Hosting Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Apolo View Post
            I wonder why there is no such setting inside the /admincp to achieve this.
            The home page needs to be known before a database connection is made. Hopefully something that will be fixed in the future with a consolidated bootstrap.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

this (option 2) did not work for me. redirect is o.k. but there are no pictures and some scripts did not work (vsa chatbox and statistics)

Comment

Originally posted by thompson View Post
                this (option 2) did not work for me. redirect is o.k. but there are no pictures and some scripts did not work (vsa chatbox and statistics)
                Option 1 is the appropriate option here.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  The home page needs to be known before a database connection is made. Hopefully something that will be fixed in the future with a consolidated bootstrap.
                  Is there a tracker for this I can vote for? I guess many people would need this and other than the extra work up for upgrades, one may simply just forget to edit the file again.
                  Vote for these issues:

Comment

Originally posted by singh9211;2083975

[B
                    Option 2:[/B]
                    • Find index.php in the installation folder. Rename index.php to something else e.g. index_discarded.php
                    • Find forum.php in the installation folder. Rename it to index.php
                    • Login to admin cp
                    • Expand settings
                    • Click on options
                    • Click on Forums Home Page Options from the menu and then click on Edit Settings button
                    • Find the section "Script Name for Forum Home Page". By default forum is the value in the textbox there.
                    • Change the textbox value to index
                    • Click on the Save button

it might be a good idea to then make a new forum.php with a redirect to your new index.php so that existing members links/bookmarks of your site won't be broken

if you wish to do this make a empty forum.php file and insert only the following code:

<?php
                    header("Location: http://www.forumname.com/index.php/");
                    exit;
                    ?>

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
                      Edit your index.php file.

See the example below.

This section of your index.php should look like the above example to achieve your desired result. (Comment out require('content.php'); with the '//')
                      This worked for me thanks!
                      Thanks,
                      RH

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

It's been more than 2 years since your reply and I wonder if there is any fix for this now. I would like to upgrade another forum from 3.8 to 4.x but this time I need the site to keep on resolving /index.php instead of /forum.php

I'd appreciated any advice in this regard.

Thank you!
                        ComunidadHosting Web Hosting Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X