Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove a user that is protected in the config file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] How do I remove a user that is protected in the config file?

I want to remove this protected member from my config file

[email protected]

This member seems to perhaps be a hacker or a member on the vb team I do not want them to have protected access or unlimited access in my forum how do I remove them from my config file because I do not see their name listed there

When I try to delete them I get this message

vBulletin Message

Sorry, this user is protected from being altered in the config.php file by the $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] variable.

How do I fix this? HOw do I remove them? I did a google search on the email address and this seems to be part of a spam plot. The person has protection and cannot be removed, how is this possible?

Besides being required to enter my domain name for my licensed vbulletin on other sites selling skins, mods and other goodies for vb no one else knew of my site and I have already deleted several new users who weren't invited

How can I fix this to protect my site from hackers who may or may not be vb employed?

Do you have access to your server via FTP or other Control Panel?

You need to be able to access the file called "Config.php" inside the 'includes' folder of your forum install.

If you do have access you need to open up the config.php file and find the line that looks like:

Originally posted by Config.php
    // ****** UNDELETABLE / UNALTERABLE USERS ******
    // The users specified here will not be deletable or alterable from the control panel by any users.
    // To specify more than one user, separate userids with commas.
    $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = 'X';
    Where the red X is, remove that user's ID number from that location and then save your config.php - you then can modify the user from your AdminCP.

Your entry may look something like this: (Just remove the number that corresponds to the record you want to modify)

$config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '1, 5, 7';
    or
    $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '1';

To find the user's ID number, view the user record in the AdminCP and get the number from the top of the user record. (Looks like: (id: X) )
    To be updated...

Comment

Thank you so much -

But I am a bit confused, the only numbers in the are you speak of is number one and the only names are the ones I typed in

// ****** USERS WITH ADMIN LOG VIEWING PERMISSIONS ******
      // The users specified here will be allowed to view the admin log in the control panel.
      // Users must be specified by *ID number* here. To obtain a user's ID number,
      // view their profile via the control panel. If this is a new installation, leave
      // the first user created will have a user ID of 1. Seperate each userid with a comma.
      $config['SpecialUsers']['canviewadminlog'] = '1';

// ****** USERS WITH ADMIN LOG PRUNING PERMISSIONS ******
      // The users specified here will be allowed to remove ("prune") entries from the admin
      // log. See the above entry for more information on the format.
      $config['SpecialUsers']['canpruneadminlog'] = '1';

// ****** USERS WITH QUERY RUNNING PERMISSIONS ******
      // The users specified here will be allowed to run queries from the control panel.
      // See the above entries for more information on the format.
      // Please note that the ability to run queries is quite powerful. You may wish
      // to remove all user IDs from this list for security reasons.
      $config['SpecialUsers']['canrunqueries'] = '1';

// ****** UNDELETABLE / UNALTERABLE USERS ******
      // The users specified here will not be deletable or alterable from the control panel by any users.
      // To specify more than one user, separate userids with commas.
      $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = 'this is a named I typed in manually, this is a named I typed in manually, this is a named I typed in manually, this is a named I typed in manually';

// ****** SUPER ADMINISTRATORS ******
      // The users specified below will have permission to access the administrator permissions
      // page, which controls the permissions of other administrators
      $config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators'] = '1';

So if I delete number one in one area I will have to delete that number everywhere since it seems to give the person who I am trying to delete admin status it seems.

If it does not work I will repost the result here

Thank you in advance

Comment

Hello again, I did not find the number in the config file that corresponds to this user ID which is : User: plaulaBam (id: 2)

As you can see from the aboved posting the user id is not listed where you told me to look. I have no clue to why this person can not be deleted

This is very interesting. Has anything like this ever happen to anyone else?

is there another way to delete this person? maybe through phpadmin?

Comment

You were typing in the actual names instead of user id numbers? did that actually work???

Anyway, that location in the config.php is the only place you can set users to be 'locked' so that can't be changed or deleted. There's no other place to do this that I am aware of.

I've never seen a case where a user that could not be deleted was not in the config.php section for "UNDELETABLE / UNALTERABLE USERS".

For the sake of just trying, I'd try clearing those names out where you manually typed the actual names in the "UNDELETABLE / UNALTERABLE USERS" area.
          To be updated...

Comment

$config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = 'this is a named I typed in manually, this is a named I typed in manually, this is a named I typed in manually, this is a named I typed in manually';
            Change this to
            Code:
            $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '1';
            This might work.
            When the meteor came crashing to Earth, I bet the dinosaurs were roaring at it in the hope of scaring it away. That didn’t work out so well for them. - Matt.

Comment

This is where you messed up. You don't put user names in this slot, you put user ID numbers.
              It should read this way> $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '1';
              As you have it the accounts you typed in are NOT protected from being altered or deleted. Does any of the names you typed in manually have the number 2 in them?

Oh SNAP! I take too long to type.

Comment

Thank You successfully deleted

Comment

Originally posted by JudicialCriminal View Post
                  Thank You successfully deleted
                  Congrats. Glad you could get that accomplished. Just remember to use the User ID numbers in those spaces in the config.php.
                  To be updated...

Comment