Search single content type--->>>additional options

Category

Cars

Forums
    imports
    exports
    rentals
    Parts & accersories

Now if I do an advanced search for "toyota recalls" and there is a thread in the "imports" forum about it I will only fiind it if

a) I select search category "cars" and select include child forums
    Or
    b) I select search forum "imports" or don't select anything.

Correct? This is how our forum appears to work anyway.

If so then how can I make it so searching the Car category searches all forums in it? Most people do not check the "search child forums" box.
    Last edited by scorpio24; Sat 20 Mar '10, 1:09pm.

So you want "include child forums" to be prechecked? Edit the template and add - checked="checked" - to the <input> field in the form. To find the template to modify, do this - vboptions > General Settings > Add Template Name in HTML Comments > set to Yes . Then go back to your page and view the source code and you will see the name of the template called around your part of the code. (Sometimes the template is the one mentioned at the very top of the page source.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      To find the template to modify, do this - vboptions > General Settings > Add Template Name in HTML Comments > set to Yes . Then go back to your page and view the source code and you will see the name of the template called around your part of the code. (Sometimes the template is the one mentioned at the very top of the page source.)
      Great tip thx...however I believe the template is search_common_select_type but I cannot locate <input>

Comment

Wait a second...something isn't right. These are not child forums...they are parent forums inside a category...of course they should be included if you search the category correct?

Comment

search_input_posts

<label for="cb_childforums" class="rightcol">
          <input id="cb_childforums" type="checkbox" value="1" name="childforums" tabindex="1" {vb:raw childforumschecked} />

The way it is now makes no sense...the first screenshot yields results for the term "prechecked" but the second does not...and the third does again.

(Yes) http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4071/nr1z.jpg

(No) http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6162/nr77.jpg

(Yes) http://img638.yfrog.com/img638/2639/nr33.jpg
          Last edited by scorpio24; Sun 21 Mar '10, 7:43am.

Comment

In the (No) one, you didn't select "also search in child forums" . This thread is not in the vBulletin 4 forum, it is in the vBulletin 4 Questions, Probs & Troubleshooting forum.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

In the (No) one, you didn't select "also search in child forums" . This thread is not in the vBulletin 4 forum, it is in the vBulletin 4 Questions, Probs & Troubleshooting forum.

That's the root of the whole problem...I did not need to select "include child forums" in the open search..but yet when I actually choose to search in a category it omits all results. What is the point of having search a category as an option but deny any results unless the "include child forums" is checked? It's self defeating.

So this is why I need the checkbox "prechecked".

search_input_posts

<input id="cb_childforums" type="checkbox" value="1" name="childforums" tabindex="1" {vb:raw childforumschecked} />
              Last edited by scorpio24; Sun 21 Mar '10, 10:37am.

Comment

I don't know, it makes sense to me. But, if you want to have it prechecked, then go ahead and edit the template to do it. Or write a quick plugin to do it. Either way would work.

Comment

I don't know, it makes sense to me.
                  It makes no sense whatsoever. It's redundant. We are being given the option to check a box to perform a search that apparently can only be conducted by checking the box. However if we don't check the box then instead of being informed that a searchable forum must be selected... vb pretends to perform a search (of something) and then reports no results.

??????????

How it should work:

• I search the category and it yields any results from forums in that category. This is the same as the open search except it is now specific to this category.
                  • I checkbox child forums and it includes results from any child forums of the forums in the category.

.But, if you want to have it prechecked, then go ahead and edit the template to do it. Or write a quick plugin to do it. Either way would work.
                  Need assistance.
                  Last edited by scorpio24; Sun 21 Mar '10, 7:00pm.

Comment

bump

Comment

So you want "include child forums" to be prechecked? Edit the template and add - checked="checked" - to the <input> field in the form. To find the template to modify, do this - vboptions > General Settings > Add Template Name in HTML Comments > set to Yes . Then go back to your page and view the source code and you will see the name of the template called around your part of the code. (Sometimes the template is the one mentioned at the very top of the page source.)
                      Originally posted by scorpio24 View Post
                      Need assistance.
                      Code:
                      <input id="cb_childforums" type="checkbox" value="1"  name="childforums" tabindex="1" [B]checked="checked"[/B] />

Comment

Thx Lynne.

Comment

I see that vbulletin.com has now prechecked their box as well.

The search truly is the Achilles heel of vb and needs a serious work over imo. Aside from having a confusing layout it also suffers from a major flaw. When the forum developers are themselves forced to use a work around to patch this problem then it is clear this issue need be dealt with:

Search.1

Search.2

What the check box needs to say is "Do no uncheck if searching by category." Really any search should automatically include all child forums and the checkbox option should be to omit them. Vbulletin should make this priority one as searching is the single most important function of a forum.

I'm not even going to mention that the vBulletin 4 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting is a forum in a category and not really a child forum, but still if I check the box then it does yield results for this same search. A child forum by definition should be a forum within a forum.
                          Last edited by scorpio24; Fri 24 Dec '10, 9:40am.

Comment

I agree. The search function is giving me lots of headaches. Members are complaining and want the 3.x version to be restored.... Now that makes no sence of course, but I get what they mean, do you?

http://forums.watchuseek.com

Comment

I just wanted to mention that aside from this one bug the vb search actually performs very well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X