Convert the database from utf8_bin to utf8_ci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Convert the database from utf8_bin to utf8_ci

How can I convert my database from utf8_bin to utf8_ci, and what is the difference between utf8_ci and utf8_general_ci?
    AMD Forum

Who knows. Unless you're a SQL coder, the easiest way to do this is via text search and replace using a db backup.

Comment

I found the solution mysfelf after some googling: http://blog.vision4web.net/2008/11/c...umns-in-mysql/
      AMD Forum

Comment

Be careful. This is the same problem with phpmyadmin; it won't change the fields.
        Important: The utility doesn’t convert data, it only changes the collation of the tables and the columns, so if your database is full of non-latin characters, it will probably corrupt them.

Comment

Thanks Videx. Can you provide me with info on how to do this with search and replace. What software should I use? How do I export the db, and so on.
          AMD Forum

Comment

I've only done it once. But I saved my notes just in case:
            Dummy fix for Illegal mix of collations

Comment

Thanks for all help Videx. However I think I will update manually. It till take some time though. My forum host tried search and replace but we got database error when we tried to use the new database.
              AMD Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X