categories showing up in wrong sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] categories showing up in wrong sections

I have added a few categories in a couple of different sections.

The problem is that when writing an article in a certain section, the available category box lists all the categories, not just the ones for that section.

This is a bit confusing, especially if some categories in different sections have the same or similar names.

Is there a way round this please?

Think of categories as another way of sorting articles like tags. such as having an article on the "economics of homebuilding". It could be in a category of economics and one on home. Unrelated categories in different sections.

Comment

Yes I understand that. But in that case there is no point in having categories which are specific to a section.

Suppose you have two sections, politics and building. You have a category called "economics" in each.

When I (or more importantly a member who isn't as knowledgeable aboput vBUlletin) writes an article on "economics of homebuilding" in the building section, I would expect the only "economics" category visible and available in the edit page should be the one in that section, not the politics section.

Otherwise what is the point of being able to assign categories to sections, they would all just be global?

Comment

There are currently three CMS nav widgets- bottom up, top down, and "all sections". When we created them we didn't think people would want a "this section only". It's been requested and it should be in v404.
        Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Brown View Post
          There are currently three CMS nav widgets- bottom up, top down, and "all sections". When we created them we didn't think people would want a "this section only". It's been requested and it should be in v404.
          That's great, but it's not what I was referring to. I meant the selection of categories you get when composing or editing an article. I want members to compose articles, but to only select the categories that are relevant for that section.

Comment

I see. Yes, we're planning to allow limiting that at edit time because we are getting customers with hundreds (thousands?) of categories. I hadn't thought of the limiting for the reason you are talking about. I would encourage you to submit a feature request in Project Tools, and I'll think about how to implement it.
            Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Brown View Post
              I see. Yes, we're planning to allow limiting that at edit time because we are getting customers with hundreds (thousands?) of categories. I hadn't thought of the limiting for the reason you are talking about. I would encourage you to submit a feature request in Project Tools, and I'll think about how to implement it.
              Will do. It would just add a bit of consistency, ie if you have categories that only belong to one section, you shouldn't see all the others when choosing which category.
              Last edited by Mermaid; Mon 15 Mar '10, 9:10am.

Comment

Researching this same topic, and agree, different categories should come up when the user clicks on a different section I would think.

Comment

Does anyone know if this issue has been solved? If not, is there a way I can go around this? Thank you!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X