Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to I get a special User Group permission to allow them to edit their own posts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] How to I get a special User Group permission to allow them to edit their own posts?

How to I get a special User Group permission to allow them to edit their own posts?

(Please forgive me for asking such a novice question, but for some reason what I thought should work no longer works!)

Our basic Registered User Group (which we title as Level 1) is governed by what is set in the:

Admin CP > Settings > Options > Message Posting and Editing Options > Time Limit on Editing of Posts > (Set at 15 minutes)

But when I establish a new User Group (which we titled as Level 5), and I choose to allow Level 5 members to edit their own, the member still cannot edit their own posts, even though I have turned on their ability in the following:

Admin CP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Level 5 > Edit Usergroup > Can Edit Own Posts > Yes

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 20 Years with VB

You would need to write a plugin to change the edit time for the usergroup. The option Can Edit Own Posts simply allows them to edit it for $vbulletin->options['edittimelimit'] amount of time.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      You would need to write a plugin to change the edit time for the usergroup. The option Can Edit Own Posts simply allows them to edit it for $vbulletin->options['edittimelimit'] amount of time.
      Aside from writing plug-ins - if I understand you correctly, in order for me to correct this by using the VB features in already place, I should do the following?
      • Admin CP > Settings > Options > Message Posting and Editing Options > Time Limit on Editing of Posts > Set at 0 (To allow global permission for all members to edit their posts)

And then return to each User Group we wish not to have the edit privilege, such as our basic Registered Member, and make sure the following is in place?
      • Admin CP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Registered Member > Edit Usergroup > Can Edit Own Posts > No

• Admin CP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Level 5 Member > Edit Usergroup > Can Edit Own Posts > Yes

DAVID COPELAND
      Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
      Celebrating 20 Years with VB

Comment

Originally posted by David Copeland View Post
        Aside from writing plug-ins - if I understand you correctly, in order for me to correct this by using the VB features in already place, I should do the following?

• Admin CP > Settings > Options > Message Posting and Editing Options > Time Limit on Editing of Posts > Set at 0 (To allow global permission for all members to edit their posts)

And then return to each User Group we wish not to have the edit privilege, such as our basic Registered Member, and make sure the following is in place?

• Admin CP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Registered Member > Edit Usergroup > Can Edit Own Posts > No

• Admin CP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Level 5 Member > Edit Usergroup > Can Edit Own Posts > Yes
        Pretty much, yes.

However, it's weird that the edit settings overrule the usergroup settings.. can't imagine why the edit settings aren't usergroup based as well.
        When the meteor came crashing to Earth, I bet the dinosaurs were roaring at it in the hope of scaring it away. That didn’t work out so well for them. - Matt.

Comment