TypePad AntiSpam for vbulletin 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] TypePad AntiSpam for vbulletin 4

CPA shows http://antispam.typepad.com/ as one of the services for spam management within vb4. Has anyone tried this yet and is it effective?

I signed up for a API key ( very simple), I'm now wondering if I should activate it for my forum?

What do you think?
    Does it effect processing or are there any concerns we should discuss here that will help our vb community?
    Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
    created for musicians, by musicians

Originally posted by audiokid View Post
    CPA shows http://antispam.typepad.com/ as one of the services for spam management within vb4. Has anyone tried this yet and is it effective?

I signed up for a API key ( very simple), I'm now wondering if I should activate it for my forum?

What do you think?
    Does it effect processing or are there any concerns we should discuss here that will help our vb community?

Yeah is this good? I would love to know if this would help cut down spam?

Comment

from my experience..
      api key does not stop spam from registering it just scans the thread, stops them from publishing and puts them into moderation queue which you have to remove manually..

the Q&A thing however stops the spam from registering !! so if they cant register.. they cant post..

Comment

Seeing as all posters are moderated regardless it's not going to do much then.

We turned on the RE-cap thing and entered in some additional profile reguired questions and it's helped a great deal but I think it's not going to last.

I finally deleted about 5000 spammer posts. That took a while and was a big pain in the butt. So it's clean for the time being.

Comment

I also use a human verification question that only my group would know. Since I hosting a Dodge Cummins site I made the questions around the Dodge Cummins or about myself this keeps the spammer off my site since they can figure out the answers. Also I change the question around once it while.
          Mopar1973Man.Com Forum and Article Database Powered By vBulletin 4.2.0 & Joomla 2.5.11 -~- Michael Nelson -> SoonTM to be Invision Power Board Powered
          Posted With Ubuntu Linux 12.04.2

Comment

Do any of the anti-spam filters also trap Blog Spam?

I am going to give typepad a try over the next week to see how effective it is compared to Askimet.

Roy
            RoyMogg

http://www.bizface.co.uk

Comment

Any news against the registration of bots?
              I use the human question but they register anyway.

Is there a feature or mod that could help me to BLOCK the registration of bots?
              Thanks a lot.

Comment

Please see this thread for things you can do to fight spam: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, that thread was started four years ago and the last post was made almost two years ago. None of the suggestions in that thread do anything to address this current wave of attacks. I've had all of the recommendations in that thread in place for a long time, and the only spammers that ever got through were the humans who actually took the time to register properly. Maybe one a month or so. Yesterday I had 68 bots register on one VB4 board, and 73 on another, still running the same security rules that have been effective for years now. Fortunately I've got a bird dog of a moderator who recognized them for what they were before they started dropping goose grease all over my sites, but these spammers have figured out a way to punch through VB's security, and something needs to be done about it. They are bypassing all of the registration regulations and dumping straight in as registered users. The only thing I can do about it is clamp down on registration and not allow registration at all. That's unacceptable.
                  Last edited by bigwater; Fri 7 Jan '11, 10:35am.
                  Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigwater View Post
                    Steve, that thread was started four years ago and the last post was made almost two years ago. None of the suggestions in that thread do anything to address this current wave of attacks. I've had all of the recommendations in that thread in place for a long time, and the only spammers that ever got through were the humans who actually took the time to register properly. Maybe one a month or so. Yesterday I had 68 bots register on one VB4 board, and 73 on another, still running the same security rules that have been effective for years now. Fortunately I've got a bird dog of a moderator who recognized them for what they were before they started dropping goose grease all over my sites, but these spammers have figured out a way to punch through VB's security, and something needs to be done about it. They are bypassing all of the registration regulations and dumping straight in as registered users. The only thing I can do about it is clamp down on registration and not allow registration at all. That's unacceptable.
                    Regardless of age, that thread is still valid. [Note: I updated in in August 2010 for vB4.]

Those instructions are still the best defense available. And when I learn of something new, I will update that thread again with the latest info.

You do realize that spammers can hire people for $1-2 a day to have then register everywhere, then turn over those accounts to Bots for posting, right? And that is exactly what they are doing.

No amount of precautions are going to stop real people from registering, except to turn off registration entirely.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I do know that the pay for registration happens, but this wave is not human. All of the registrations are "man" bots as clearly indicated in their profile. And no amount of explanation on your part that these old patches still work is going to fly. When you go from one or two spam bots per month to 70 or 80 in one day with absolutely no change at all in your security settings, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a hole has been punched in the software. If it were just me, I'd be scratching my head and wondering what I was doing wrong. But read the web... this is happening on thousands of VB sites around the globe. There has been an exploit of your software, and sticking your head in the sand and ignoring it by throwing up a four year old post with fixes that don't work anymore is not going to fly. Find the exploit and fix it.
                      Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Put it in the suggestion box:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CustomerSuggestionbox.gif
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	3681061

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                          Regardless of age, that thread is still valid. [Note: I updated in in August 2010 for vB4.]

Those instructions are still the best defense available. And when I learn of something new, I will update that thread again with the latest info.
                          There still is a lot of usefull information in that thread, but it is also very outdated on some points. The post contains none if this:

1. Bad behavior
                          2. Project honeypot
                          3. stopforumspam
                          4. keyword or link sends moderation
                          5. email verification before registration
                          6. Registration time check and invisible fields to catch spam bots

These are the antispam measures that we need now. Please vote for these.

Try moderating hundreds of new registrations per day, if you have a busy board. Mind that only administrators can do this and giving someone admin rights, means they have the right to destroy your board. Thats a level of trust that I will not easily give.
                          I did have the the moderation process modified, so that my super moderators can approve registrations. Without that, the cure could be worse than the disease. It is indeed a big improvement, but out of the box its not really possible with 1 admin.

Activating email verification indeed is a must, but if you allow fake email to be used, then its almost back to square 1. And spam bots can still fill their profile with spam, even if they do not verify their email accounts.

Fake email domains are constantly changing the domains used. The thread you linked to is a good help, but there needs to be some central database that keeps up with this constant change. Suggested here: ban fake email domains
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by audiokid View Post

What do you think?

I used it over the weekend, and what it did on my forum, was, every time a poster made a post with a link (and some without) it put that post in moderation...which meant adm or a mod had to view it and let it post. That offended my posters, as they thought their posts were being moderated. Not to mention the extra work..
                            I removed it.

Comment

I tried Captcha for a few hours and it was to TOTAL joke. Within an hour I got hit 8 times. They get right through so don't waste you time with that. As soon as I put it back to question answer, very little problem as long as I keep changing the questions. How they figure these out is beyond me?

The problem with banning is, I can spend all day doing one after the other. Your banned user groups get full and its a constant adding ip's to blocking. There has got to be something better than this. They can put a man on the moon and we can't stop spam. OMG this is so ridiculous.

I have been blocking countries like ASIA, INDIA, Russia... the countries that are less likely to contribute content but they still get through and sadly, this blocks the good people out.
                              Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
                              created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X