suddenly a ton of users can't login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PirateTinman View Post
    To fix this issue you need to run the "salt" upgrade, it has to do with the hasing of your users password and is now apparently changed. You should already have the file uploaded on your server, so the only thing you need to do is this:
    1. Turn forums off and do all the usual stuff, like a backup and all that, just in case.
    2. Then go to this file /install/upgrade_402_salt.php
    3. Type your number.
    4. Everything should be fixed now.

Hope that help out anyone that still have this problem!
    Didn't work for me :/

Comment

If you didn't run the install script right after uploading the files, then your users will have some problems. You should have them delete their cookies for the site and re-login. If the user was either new between the time you uploaded the files and ran the script, or had their password changed in that time, it won't work at all. They will have to reset it now. This was talked about in the original announcement here (in red) - Security Fix Releases 3.7.7 and 4.0.2 PL 2

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

I have 3000 members that are having this problem...

Is there any way to do this without teaching half of that number to delete cookies?

It's not as simple as it sounds, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
          If you didn't run the install script right after uploading the files, then your users will have some problems. You should have them delete their cookies for the site and re-login. If the user was either new between the time you uploaded the files and ran the script, or had their password changed in that time, it won't work at all. They will have to reset it now. This was talked about in the original announcement here (in red) - Security Fix Releases 3.7.7 and 4.0.2 PL 2
          I'm having serious problems now. I always turn my forums off while I'm upgrading, so I can't see how my members are having these problems...

I now can't login to my own forum !!!

That announcement suggested to change your password after the patch, which I did, but I can't login in now. I tried the reset password option, got my new password and still can't login.

This is an absolute joke !!!!!!!!

How do I get back into my own forum?

Comment

Does this issue apply to 4.02 PL4?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandyus View Post
              Does this issue apply to 4.02 PL4?
              I would like to know the same thing, if you upgraded to 4.02 PL4 do you have to run the salt upgrade?

On another site we ran the salt upgrade by entering the vb members info number, after entering the number what is suppoed to happen running this? We hit enter and it didn't really seem to do anything.

Comment

Two days back I upgrded my forum to 4.02 PL4 , users who registered newly are facing this problem. While upgrding I turned off the forum, so no user registered at that time.

Comment

At the suggestion of another user I ran the script 'upgrade_402_salt.php' today on my board (after first turning it off). It didn't seem to do much visibly, but it didn't hurt anything, either. I had a new user register today but haven't heard back yet from the people who were having issues beforehand. Will post here again if I find out anything of interest.

Comment

my users are having the exact same problem

can we please have this fixed by the next patch?
                    <signature removed by staff>

Comment

I was directed to another thread that explained what needed to be done manually, if you're still having issues. Two things to check:

Go into your database and look at table user and field salt, and see if charlength is set to 3 or 30 ?
                      Then open the file includes/class_dm_user.php and see at around line 18 if salt is set 3 or 30 ?

Both those values should be 30. If not, then shut down your board, re-upload the patch, and run the upgrade script. Check the values again. If the database still shows the wrong value for salt, then you can edit that value manually to 30 as a last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandyus View Post
                        I was directed to another thread that explained what needed to be done manually, if you're still having issues. Two things to check:

Go into your database and look at table user and field salt, and see if charlength is set to 3 or 30 ?
                        Then open the file includes/class_dm_user.php and see at around line 18 if salt is set 3 or 30 ?

Both those values should be 30. If not, then shut down your board, re-upload the patch, and run the upgrade script. Check the values again. If the database still shows the wrong value for salt, then you can edit that value manually to 30 as a last resort.
                        For 3k members, that's a ridiculous request.
                        <facepalm>

Comment

What does the number of users have to do with checking a field in your table? It's a single field in a single table.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

That's what I was going to say. It's just a single value in the class_dm_user.php file, and a single field in your database 'user' table if it comes to that. It's not really very hard at all.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X