No announcement yet.

Sections vs Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The category creation is very cumbersome. World it not be better to just allow articles to be associated with more than one section and just nuke the categories altogether? I see no purpose to categories at all, except for the multiple article assignment thing.

To ask my question from earlier again, how do I get a list of categories to ONLY show up under the section is it assigned too? And if that is successful, how to I get a category to be listed under multiple sections?

Maybe I should be asking this on vb.org.

Comment

Originally posted by JonChuck View Post
      The category creation is very cumbersome. World it not be better to just allow articles to be associated with more than one section and just nuke the categories altogether? I see no purpose to categories at all, except for the multiple article assignment thing.

To ask my question from earlier again, how do I get a list of categories to ONLY show up under the section is it assigned too? And if that is successful, how to I get a category to be listed under multiple sections?

Maybe I should be asking this on vb.org.
      As to whether it would be better.... we didn't and don't think so. We felt and feel that tags, sections, and categories all have their uses. We are discussing allowing an article to be in more than one section, but we would still keep categories.

To repeat what was said above by DCX000- there are currently three widget types- bottom-up, top-down, and all. Which one of those you use will determine what categories are shown. If you want to see all categories everywhere, use the "all" category widget. We're planning on making a "this category only" widget but it's not available at the moment.
      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

Well, the "Show All" widget still does not show any sub categories. Maybe it should be called "Show Parent Categories" as that is the way it currently works.

Comment

OK, thank you for your reply. However, I did not get an answer to my earlier question.
          Originally posted by JonChuck View Post
          How do I get a list of categories to ONLY show up under the section is it assigned too? And if that is successful, how to I get a category to be listed under multiple sections?

Comment

I'm sorry, but your question has been answered twice. For the first half of your question: " We're planning on making a "this category only" widget but it's not available at the moment."

For the second half of your question: Any of the three widgets will show categories from sections other than the current one. The choices are:
            bottom-up: Show categories for the current section and any of its parent sections
            top-down: Show categories for the current section and any of its subsections
            all: show categories for all sections.

So depending on what you want to show you could use any of those.
            Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

Edwin, thank you. I did not see anything in this thread that laid out the definition of the category widgets like you just did. And the documentation is sadly lacking in this area.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X