Sections vs Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Sections vs Categories

What is the functional difference Sections and Categories?

If I create section and then sub-sections, etc, I have lots of control over them.

If I create a category under a section, I do not even see a link to enter that category. Yes, if I put something in the category, a link to the category appears alongside of the content.

I still don't see the point.

Section are a hierarchical organization. Each article lives in one and only one section. Sections control style, layout, and permissions.

Most people want to be able to organize their content in more than one way. Hence categories. Categories are totally free-form. An article can be in one category, or none, or an arbitrarily large number of them. Think of categories as another tagging system.
    Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

OK, I get it.

New question: when I put an article in a category, I see no link anywhere to display all articles in that category. That is, unless a specific article or thumbnail, is viewed. Can Categories that are assigned to a specific Section be displayed at the top of the section page? Can categories have sub-categories?

Comment

Is there any answer to this at all?

Comment

You would need to add one of the category widgets to your layout to have people select by category.

Comment

I have not seen any category widgets. Can you give me a url?

Comment

To add the category wigets >> Go to your admin control panel and open the vBulletin CMS controls on the left >> Click Widgets then look for the category widget of your choice (Top-Down, Bottom-Up, or Show All) >> If the widgets you want are not there then click Create New Widget and select the type.

I suggest the Show All category widget instead of top down or bottom up. It is easier to use and fits most content arrangements in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by DCX000 View Post
                To add the category wigets >> Go to your admin control panel and open the vBulletin CMS controls on the left >> Click Widgets then look for the category widget of your choice (Top-Down, Bottom-Up, or Show All) >> If the widgets you want are not there then click Create New Widget and select the type.

I suggest the Show All category widget instead of top down or bottom up. It is easier to use and fits most content arrangements in my opinion.
                I agree.

For a complex site with large numbers of categories and sections the bottom-up or top-down have advantages, but for most sites having a moderate number of categories and using the "all categories" widget will eliminate a lot of head-scratching and confusion.
                Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

Why aren't they just called tags? When added to threads they are called tags.

Comment

Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
                    I agree. Just call them tags for consistency. After all, that's how they essentially behave. -- Rik

ps: I hope the vbCMS will follow the Joomla 1.6 example of a true hierarchy of categories and do away with the sections.

Comment

Here's the problem I see. I place the category widget at the top of the center of the layout. Now all the categories show at the top of every single page. I partially solved this by creating a different layout for the home page. However, the problem is repeated on every section page.

What I want is only categories that belong under a specific section to show at the top of that section page. This way, the categories that display, are appropriate for that particular subject.

Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
                        We don't call them tags because they aren't tags. Articles can have tags, but categories are different from tags.

Comment

Categories can be specific to sections and can be nested hierarchically. Tags are a more flowing and global way of categorizing the content, and categories are cms or section-focused way.

Comment

So how to I make "Tags" for specific selection of articles and places them as one link with that specific "Tag" at the top of the section?

It seems to me that the only difference between sections and columns is that sections can have its own unique layout and style, while categories allow for one article to belong to multiple categories. Am I correct?

Comment

Yet you still cannot sort the categories and they are not appearing in "tree" format even though you can set them up that way in the admin... it's been reported as a bug since beta. sigh...

i.e.

Category
                              - Sub cat 1
                              - Sub cat 2

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X