No announcement yet.

Category Sorting? Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Category Sorting? Is it possible?

Is there a way to sort the categories alphabetically within the Create New Article page? How about within the Category Manager?

When posting a new article, categories are apparently listed in the order they were created, rather than an order that might be more logical to humans (such as alphabetical). My site now has dozens of categories and it is getting difficult to find the ones I want to assign an article to. I cringe when I think how I will cope with this when I have hundreds of categories in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, there seems to be a bug in the category printing within the Create New Article page. Categories randomly show up next to other categories. Example output:

[ ] category1
    [ ] category2
    [ ] category2>category3 (should just say "category3")
    [ ] category4

While I'm here, I might as well ask if anyone have a fix for this one?

Thanks folks!

We're going to create some more widgets, including category widgets. The current sort is fixed. I'll try to get sort options into v404. There is a bug as you describe, but it's in the creation not the display. Categories are hierarchical, although the current widgets don't display that hierarchy. It does display on the article category selector. An expanding category widget (like the current section one) has been on my list to create but I haven't heard requests from the community. This is a good thing to submit as a feature request in Project Tools.
    Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Edwin. The hierarchical display still seems off, however - I've never intentionally created categories within categories, and in fact don't see any way to do this. I do have categories within sections, but it's displaying oddly. Here's an actual example from my site:

My root level section has categories:
      1 - Global Warming
      2 - Taxes
      3 - Technology
      ...etc

The first sub-section, "National", has categories:
      1 - National Security
      2 - Military
      ...etc

The next sub-section, "International", has categories:
      1 - Iran
      2 - Middle East
      ...etc

When creating a new article, the categories in the selection box display as follows:

Global Warming
      Global Warming>National Security
      Military
      Taxes
      Taxes>Iran
      Middle East

I'm guessing this isn't the way it's supposed to be, unless I'm missing something?

Thank you again for your time.

Comment

There's a bug, which is fixed in vb403. Categories were being created as sub-categories when you didn't want them to be. It has to be fixed manually because, of course, we don't know if you wanted it that way.

To fix, in admincp > CMS > category manager

edit the category and click "new top-level category"
        Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

I'd like to add a note about something that would be helpful if you are to do more work on Category widgets...

It would be great if you created a Category Cloud Widget and have the option to select all categories (or specific categories/subsections) to display in that widget.

I use categories for my company site and the display of past projects. So, when in that past projects section, it would be ideal to have a cloud that displayed those categories only in that section.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Edwin,

This does not seem to work. I edited the categories in question, clicked "New top-level category", and saved them. It didn't change anything; the first category in a sub-section is still appearing as a sub-category of a category in the section above it.

I am running 4.0.2 PL1.

Appreciate your help and any further advice you can offer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X