Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] quick database question

Hello,

i have been testing vb4 with a test site (closed of course). it's currently running 4.0.2 with no problem.

my live site is running with 3.8.4.

i just wanted to know if i backup my database of my live site (3.8.4) and upload it to my test site (4.0.2), will this be ok? or will i have bunch of errors?

the reason i am asking this is because i do not wish to do the opposite, what i mean is upgrading my live site with 4.0.02 files. I prefer updating my test site with current database and then make it my live site.

thanks for your help

Originally posted by Mask10 View Post
    will i have bunch of errors?
    Yes.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
      Yes.

ok so there is no solution for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mask10 View Post
        Hello,

i just wanted to know if i backup my database of my live site (3.8.4) and upload it to my test site (4.0.2), will this be ok? or will i have bunch of errors?

thanks for your help
        Yes you will have. You can''t use a database of 3.8x branch on a 4.0.2. forum as the changes between those 2 versions are huge. The only way to do it is to run the upgrader.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
          Yes you will have. You can''t use a database of 3.8x branch on a 4.0.2. forum as the changes between those 2 versions are huge. The only way to do it is to run the upgrader.

thanks for your reply, so i can upload my 3.8 database and then run forums/install/upgrade.php to upgrade?

Comment

If i undersand correctly what you want to do is backup database from livesite at (yourdomain.com)
            and import it to a test database and use your test directory: yourdomain.com/test (changing the config.php to reflect new database)

Then you want to go live with the database and test directory once all is ok.

Yes its possible but i see some problems:

1) Your url structure will change so any pages indexed previously will of changed.
            2) You will probably want to add a .htaccess file to redirect any traffic from old directory to new.

Or do you want to import database into a test database and test directory. Do the Upgrade and then change the config.php to reflect the new database in your live directory.? Even with this option you still must have the vb4 files in the directory.
            Come join us at General Forum

Comment

Originally posted by travelbug View Post
              If i undersand correctly what you want to do is backup database from livesite at (yourdomain.com)
              and import it to a test database and use your test directory: yourdomain.com/test (changing the config.php to reflect new database)

Then you want to go live with the database and test directory once all is ok.

Yes its possible but i see some problems:

1) Your url structure will change so any pages indexed previously will of changed.
              2) You will probably want to add a .htaccess file to redirect any traffic from old directory to new.

Or do you want to import database into a test database and test directory. Do the Upgrade and then change the config.php to reflect the new database in your live directory.? Even with this option you still must have the vb4 files in the directory.

today my test site domain.com/forum-testing123 is ready to run live, and i installed it a month ago by upgrading it from my 3.8.4 database.
              my live site domain.com/forums right now is under 3.8.4.
              all i want to do is have my 3.8 database imported into my test site to update new members, threads, discussions etc... and just run it live. once updated it, my test site will be my live site (domain.com/forums under 4.0.2).

i just don't want to upgrade my live site and have to redo all the work i did on my test site (template changes,colors etc...)

hope you understand

thanks

Comment

You have two options that i am aware of. Perhaps someone else can add to this.

1) Upgrade your live site and import the custom style that you have been working on from your test site. That way you should not lose any of the changes that you have made to that style.

2) Use impex to import latest members, threads etc into your test database

I'd personally go with the first option as its easier. Just export the style from test site and import into live site (once upgraded)
                Come join us at General Forum

Comment