No announcement yet.

Dealing with spam... how do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Dealing with spam... how do you do it?

Up until now, we have only run VB sites where we manually approved every member. Now we're running a new site and only require email verification. We also have human verification enabled for everything.

The problem is, these bots are registering, verifying they are human, confirming their email, uploading an avatar, and posting to the forums before we can even catch them. What more can we do? Ive seen some spam tools built in, but dont know anything about their effectiveness.

What are you doing?

I'm using Question/Answer (captcha just isn't effective) and also moderating new users by IP address, by country with this mod.
    My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

VB4 has already been beaten by the sign on bots.

I have a new install that hasn't had any traffic and isn't even indexed by Google.

Yet, I had a Latvian IP address successfully post a spam post looking at 18 pages and only taking 18 hits. No human operator can sign on without generating hits of more than 1 a page. Hence the bot must have bypassed the sign up human verification! lol.. Cracked already.

Another issue then arises that even when you hard delete the spam and the post disappears from the forum... it still shows in the CMS blocks on the right panel (New post, new thread etc) until vb4 refreshes them internally. If they write profanities they will stay there for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by AntonLargiader View Post
        I'm using Question/Answer (captcha just isn't effective) and also moderating new users by IP address, by country with this mod.
        I use question/answer too plus 'vbstopforumspam', which stops up to 50 registrations a day!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=230921

My site is tiny, only 160ish registered users, so that level of spam registrations would kill it, whereas I've had not a single problem since the site was launched last April.

Just make sure you set it to check only e-mail & I.P. addresses and NOT usernames, because at first I didn't and it rejected some legit users.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

Q&A is king.

SGL.

Comment

It also depends on the forum... Mine is area and language specific so spotting spammers is easy. But, with vbstopforumspam mod there are hardly any. I just use e-mail verification, no recaptcha or question and answer. vbstopforumspam stops 20-100 per day and leaves me trouble free

Comment

Q&A owns those bots, got alot of q/a's and sometimes i delete some or add some new when im bored.
              reduced bot spam from 20 registrations pr week to 0. since 10th december. Plus i disabled coopa users
              it makes the birthdate form on a seperate page, adding a step to the process = makeing it harder to automate
              the registrations. . and ofcourse email delay, which is a bug from my host, but im happy about it.
              Vbulletin fan

Comment

If forms are being scanned for username field and so forth, how about making a way to randomize the name of each field? Random names are generated and passed to the form handler so it can sort things out on the other end. I think there is a mod for doing this with phpBB.

It would probably wreak havoc with OpedID and browser cache, though.
                My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

Originally posted by Geni View Post
                  It also depends on the forum... Mine is area and language specific so spotting spammers is easy. But, with vbstopforumspam mod there are hardly any. I just use e-mail verification, no recaptcha or question and answer. vbstopforumspam stops 20-100 per day and leaves me trouble free

How many members do you have? I am curious if anyone else is using ONLY vbstopforumspam. I would love to dump recaptcha and the Q&A field I created. Would be nice to make things easier on my members.

Comment

Originally posted by DT1014 View Post
                    I would love to dump recaptcha and the Q&A field I created. Would be nice to make things easier on my members.
                    You may dump them.

As above recommended,use vB's inbuilt Q&A with good words and you will be safe from the bots.
                    Only humans can register.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

How many members do you have? I am curious if anyone else is using ONLY vbstopforumspam. I would love to dump recaptcha and the Q&A field I created. Would be nice to make things easier on my members.
                      A little over 1000 members and around 100.000 posts. Not a big forum but as I said, it is area and language specific so that makes it easier for me. I can be quite confident that any bot that goes throug is noticed immediately and deleted - there are some custom fields that they cant fill out properly. It does not stop them from registering but does make them stick out when I see their accounts. I average about 1-2 that go past vbstopforumspam a month except in the past 4-5 days when that number has considerably risen. Ill see if that is a new trend or a quirk.

And that is the reason I ditched recaptcha and Q&A, to make the registration process easier on my members.

Comment

Already getting beat even using this mod. Plus its broken.. shows a number of "Allowed" but you can see their names aren't linked. Then the spammers gets through anyway.

Vbulletin has been beat for sure. Pretty sad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 275..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	3678161

Comment

It's just a tool to help us out. As the admin, I am the one who has to balance the spam bot registration prevention against easy user registration. The ones that do get by, I analyze and see if there is something I can get them on. These new ones all have the same signature so I am just working on automaticly banning a user based on their signature.

And still, the real users never have any registration hassles or ever see any spam.

Comment

Already getting beat even using this mod. Plus its broken.. shows a number of "Allowed" but you can see their names aren't linked. Then the spammers gets through anyway.

Vbulletin has been beat for sure. Pretty sad.

[ATTACH]43220[/ATTACH]
                            why do you allow emails not to be unique,, with unique emails it can only be used once..
                            Vbulletin fan

Comment

I use Q&A and have historically always used reCaptcha.

After I changed to Q&A i lowered my spam BOTS to ZERO ...

Manually registered spammers tire very quickly.

In my Q&A I ask the ppl who wanna register simply this:

Please type "I'm not a tr00l" without the ""'s in the box....
                              My Forum

In the beginning there was nothing,
                              which exploded .............

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X