how to disable "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burntire View Post
    No matter what I do I can't get things to change. I can PM you a login on my site if you want to see.
    Ok the fix works on visitor and private messages, but does not work correctly in the forums posting messages.
    www.highperformancestangs.com

Comment

Big thanks to Michael for getting it worked out on my site.
      www.highperformancestangs.com

Comment

Originally posted by marquisite
        Please provide a legacy option in vB4 to have the old vB3 inline prompt box show up as the new ajax one fails to work correctly. Have this issue with other AJAX related features too, even when performing a second temporary clean install of the software. Such issues as individually resolve IP address in who's online by clicking - have to open in new tab or nothing happens, or trying to add/remove friends in the new member profile page since vB3.8.

With some AJAX functions there appears to be a backup non-AJAX method that activates when the first fails. Why not do that here?
        This is gaining some traction I think.

Comment

I can't find that code in vbulletin_textedit.js. Is it the same in 4.0.1?

The problem we have with the current option is that we don't want to disable attachments globally. We have usergroups which allow users to add attachments if they are paid members. Attachments are disabled for all other users. Therefore, with "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" enabled by default, the forum blindly tries to do this for our non-paying members but the usergroup setting overrides it somewhere along the line and just shows 'Attachment 197' (for example) in the post.

From our perspective, we want an admin option to completely turn off the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" tickbox. It would be good if we were able to put the FROM URL tab BEFORE the FROM COMPUTER tab. Some people may be happy to store it's member's images on their servers by default; we aren't. As I read someone else say, that what image hosting web sites are for.

Comment

Just tested what I mentioned above and it appears that the issue where 'Attachment xxx' appears instead of the image is a separate bug

What I said in the final paragraph would be a favourable option though

Comment

Originally posted by Nicely View Post
              Just tested what I mentioned above and it appears that the issue where 'Attachment xxx' appears instead of the image is a separate bug
              Is this still happening, and if so, do you know if there is there a bug report for it? If the usergroup is set to disable uploading attachments, it should not show this dialog for those users. Instead it should only give the user a URL input. I remember a bug for this a while back, but I thought it was fixed.

Originally posted by Nicely View Post
              What I said in the final paragraph would be a favourable option though
              Noted.

Comment

Originally posted by MagiKelly
                On my forum lots of members post pictures in the trip reports and we do not want these hosted locally using up my bandwidth. However, subscribing members are given the option to be able to attach a selection of files. Commonly txt and pdf files allowing them to attach documents to their posts on a limited basis without the big issues of allowing picture hosting.

This was the way it was set up and it worked on the old version so my opinion is it must be a bug as it is certainly not an improvement.
                Another user case. I think we have enough "votes." I'll talk to product.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Henretty View Post
                  Is this still happening, and if so, do you know if there is there a bug report for it? If the usergroup is set to disable uploading attachments, it should not show this dialog for those users. Instead it should only give the user a URL input. I remember a bug for this a while back, but I thought it was fixed.
                  It only happened to the one user as far as I know. He was posting page links instead of image links but here's what shows:

Code:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]197[/ATTACH] 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199[/ATTACH]
                  I noticed a similar thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...as-attachments

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	insertimage..png
Views:	1
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	3678319

Options->Message Attachment Options

Added for 4.0.4

Comment

I want it too!.. We have too much members to enable image upload. So we have to disable it.

[edit1]Oh stupid me.. it's already in the update :P
                      [edit]Oh but .... 4.0.4 is not out yet ..

ah well.. it's coming soon

Comment

now in 4.0.3 how to disable attach from url??????

Comment

I want attachments off but albums on and an easy way for people to be able to post pics from albums.

Comment

Originally posted by extra pc View Post
                            now in 4.0.3 how to disable attach from url??????

up again

Comment

Does this mean that the option in the ACP will be enabled only in v4.04?

Any idea when this is slated for release? I'm thinking whether to implement the code hack above, or to wait for 4.04.

Originally posted by Michael Henretty View Post
                              [ATTACH]43852[/ATTACH]

Options->Message Attachment Options

Added for 4.0.4

Comment

up ...how to disable this in 4.0.3??????

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X