Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any spammer issues with vb4 (e.g. Isbot necessary?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Any spammer issues with vb4 (e.g. Isbot necessary?)

I noticed there is not much info on the isbot thread about whether ist works, or is necessary for vb4.

Can anyone here confirm that?

Also, I wonder whether people with vb4 are getting fewer or more spammer issues?

I have no idea what IsBot is, but I haven't had any spam issues. I'm using reCAPTCHA and disable the ability to use PMs or post links until 10 posts...

Comment

Originally posted by Fly View Post
      I have no idea what IsBot is.
      Sorry, it's here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ighlight=isbot

It disables any registrations that are done too quickly for any human. It works very well, and has stopped a lot of bot registrations.

I'm using reCAPTCHA and disable the ability to use PMs or post links until 10 posts...
      Do you do that with promotions?

Sounds like a good idea, but I found that isbot stops them from even joining, which I think is a great feature.

Comment

We use the question and answer system and it seems to have put a stop to robots joining in general, still get the odd spammer but they are easy to spot as we require some extra info on registration, such as fav team, driver and location a non human normally just fills these in randomly and make no sense, admin gets an email for every new member joining with all these details so we can spot a robot or spammer quite easily and just delete them But they are quite rare now thanks to the question and answer system.

Comment

Originally posted by Mermaid View Post
          Sorry, it's here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ighlight=isbot

It disables any registrations that are done too quickly for any human. It works very well, and has stopped a lot of bot registrations.

Do you do that with promotions?

Sounds like a good idea, but I found that isbot stops them from even joining, which I think is a great feature.
          I use this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=233979 As it allows the user to still PM an admin if there is an issue...

Comment

Using Question and Answer cut down on spammers by 95%..still get a couple here and there but nothing like before, and well within my ability to manage.

Comment

I have no idea what IsBot is, but I haven't had any spam issues. I'm using reCAPTCHA and disable the ability to use PMs or post links until 10 posts...
              How do you disable PMs and Post Links until 10 posts?

Comment

Originally posted by jononline View Post
                How do you disable PMs and Post Links until 10 posts?
                Remove the permissions from the register usergroup for pms, then promote into a new usergroup. Its not possible to disable the posting of urls by default.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X