Too much white space above quotes in posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Too much white space above quotes in posts

Since upgrading to vB 4.02, I've been taking various steps to eliminate some of the excess white space that seems to have crept into the stylesheets almost everywhere.

There's one particular problem I haven't found a fix for yet. Any posts with quotes in replies are leaving HUGE chunks of white space at the beginning of messages. I've noticed this problem on other vB 4.x sites, including this forum. Does anyone have a fix?

Thx!

-Steve

Example screencap attached:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vb_screencap..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	3714932

Originally posted by MNbiker View Post
    There's one particular problem I haven't found a fix for yet. Any posts with quotes in replies are leaving HUGE chunks of white space at the beginning of messages. I've noticed this problem on other vB 4.x sites, including this forum. Does anyone have a fix?
    See, this board has the problem too.

Comment

I don't see it on this forum regardless of browser size:

Click image for larger version

Name:	quote..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	3678104

What browser are you using?
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
        I don't see it on this forum regardless of browser size:

What browser are you using?
        Interesting - it appears this problem is unique to IE.
        I see the problem in IE 8, but the formatting is perfect in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

Given how many people are using IE, I still need to come up with a fix.

Comment

That screenshot of mine was taken in IE8
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
            That screenshot of mine was taken in IE8
            That's VERY odd. I see the same issue 100% of the time on vB4 sites when using IE8. However, I never see the issue with any other browser. I'll try to delete all cokies & see if that helps.

UPDATE: I just deleted cookies and temporary files, but the problem is still there.

Comment

I have now tested with another computer using IE8 and am seeing exactly the same problem. In addition, several of our forum users are reporting the same problem. My users consider this to be a fairly significant bug, as it dramatically reduces the number of posts you can fit on a page, in situations where quotes are regularly used.

Comment

I see it in IE7 at work but never on safari, chrome or FF

Comment

I am using 7.0.6 and I see the white spaces here and on my 4.02 forum.

Fine in firefox though.
                  www.wannabebig.com
                  www.wannabebigforums.com
                  www.atlargenutrition.com

Comment

There's a bug report for this issue, and someone posted a temporary fix for IE 7/8 users that involves disabling Compatibility View. I verified this setting change does fix the problem. Here's a how-to message I just posted on our forum:

Several users of this website have noted formatting issues when viewing the forums with Internet Explorer 7 or 8. The primary symptom is that any forum replies that include quotes are displaying a huge amount of white space. This problem has been reported to the software vendor, and they will likely address this issue in a future update.

In the mean time, there is a simple fix for IE 7/8 users that eliminates the problem.

1. While in Internet Explorer, click on the Tools menu, then click on Compatibility View Settings.

2. Uncheck Display all Websites in Compatibility View, then click the Close button.

Comment

thx for posting the quick fix. I just started noticing this myself as have several of my users.

Comment

using ie8 and also getting it, but only dureing editing of a post
                        Vbulletin fan

Comment

Originally posted by MNbiker View Post
                          In the mean time, there is a simple fix for IE 7/8 users that eliminates the problem.
                          IE7 = no compatibility mode, and it exhibits this problem with the quotes, hence, putting IE8 into compatibility mode causes the problem.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X