Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade to 4.0.2, that is the question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Forum] To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade to 4.0.2, that is the question

    This morning looking at all the problems with updating scares the bejeevers out of me.

    The question comes up to upgrade or not to upgrade to 4.0.2.?

    Can we get a general explanations for all these errors, who needs to worry about getting errors? and what to do?

  • #2
    Usually I suspect user error when there are upgrade problems. But given the track record of 4.x, and the number of bad reports already for 4.0.2, I'm thinking it's not entirely user error. I also felt from the start that I would not be upgrading to 4.0.2 because it was changed enough to break 4.0.1 anyway. We were actually given hints and small warnings about that in various posts over the past few weeks. So I'm passing on 4.0.2 for any production sites. I'll test it and play with it, but I won't subject the general public to it (not to mention my own sanity in trying to upgrade/re-customize clients' sites....)
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

    Comment


    • #3
      What forum version do you have? If you have 4.0.1. then my advice is to update your forum as it is always best to stay up to dated with the latest version. if you run the last stable version of the 3.8 series and you are scared to upgrade then it would be best to wait a bit. First make a thorough backup of your db, restore it at the test forum and then experiment with the upgrade on your test forum and see for yourself how things will go.

      Comment


      • #4
        I had to restore back to 4.0.1.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

        Comment


        • #5
          First make a thorough backup of your db, restore it at the test forum and then experiment with the upgrade on your test forum and see for yourself how things will go.
          I most strongly suggest to follow this advice even if you're upgrading from 4.0.1.
          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by steven s View Post
            I had to restore back to 4.0.1.
            How....?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RedHacker7 View Post
              How....?
              Most likely by restoring a 4.0.1. db backup that he made prior to the upgrade.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm running 4.01. and do have a test site running and will test it there, if I find out my test site comes to a screeching halt during or after the upgrade, that's not cool. I've had a hard enough time for users to except the new vB look.

                So in general, what is causing the errors, Plug-ins, custom templates, etc.?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Upgrade to 4.0.2 was relatively problem free for us, no real issues with any mods we had (not many) and we only had to do a couple or template changes after reverting the ones that could not merge, only 1 problem is errors when saving editing stylevars but they still save and seems a common error so not much to worry about.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by molieman View Post
                    I'm running 4.01. and do have a test site running and will test it there, if I find out my test site comes to a screeching halt during or after the upgrade, that's not cool. I've had a hard enough time for users to except the new vB look.

                    So in general, what is causing the errors, Plug-ins, custom templates, etc.?
                    The errors could be caused by a number of things. It depends really on the error that will occur. It would be also best to disable the plugins prior to the update. But if you will get any errors, post them here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not a chance in hell I'm installing this yet. I have my forum working 95% the way I want it, thanks to the members of this forum and not much thanks to the developers of the software. I'll take my chances with 4.0.1 until I see something I'm impressed with.
                      s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, I'll wait for 4.03, there is a major fix in 4.03 that I'm interested in.

                        I'll test 4.02 on a test board to see how far back to stock I have to take it to effect a successful upgrade but I'm not prepared to delete all my styles and mods only to mandatorily do it again for 4.03.
                        ttttt

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by s0lidgr0und View Post
                          Not a chance in hell I'm installing this yet. I have my forum working 95% the way I want it, thanks to the members of this forum and not much thanks to the developers of the software. I'll take my chances with 4.0.1 until I see something I'm impressed with.
                          I would have stayed with 4.0.1 for the time being as well, but the new CMS features and widgets were good enough for us to upgrade

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I upgraded and no errors ....
                            My Forum

                            In the beginning there was nothing,
                            which exploded .............

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I also upgraded with minor template changes. No issues to report outwith my mods!

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X