No announcement yet.

vB 4.0 CMS ERD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure sale of vB/Jelsoft to IB was a very good deal for those that held stake in the company (i.e. made them a lot of money), but at the same time it was seen by the users as sell-out which, no matter how you slice it, it was. The vB CMS looks okay, but I doubt it will be competition to Drupal just like vB (the bulletin board software) is no competition to Drupal's integrated bulletin board. Continuing to develop a stellar bulletin board software with integration bridges to the popular CMSes would've no doubt been much better received by the user community.

However, I suppose the situation it is what it is – there's no point to complain. I'm interested to see how the vB CMS will shape up and whether it will become a viable development platform for bulletin-board centered sites. A full disclosure documentation is, however, absolute must (as in ERD, etc.) as otherwise developers end up spending endless amounts of time needlessly reverse-engineering the inner workings of vB to interface and extend it.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    The CMS has been released in December, but its unclear when it will be ready to develop upon. There are serious problems with it at this point. Plus its not complete yet (as described in the quote above)

Leave a comment:

That's odd, because I'm positive an ERD exists. It must be a "policy thing", but if so, it's a bad policy that needs to change!

IB: I would be fine with the ERD that is being used for development internally printed out, say, to PDF(s). No clean-up is necessary, just print it out and make it available for the integrators.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    I have been asking this again as well, but there is no answer from IB. I guess we will have to wait and see when the CMS is ready to develop upon.
    Don: Where are we now? Where are we heading?
    I know you guys are extremely busy with addressing bugs and issues. But there is a burning question that I need to ask. I am much confused about where vb4 is at and where its going. I'll elaborate my confusion and would be happy if you can shine some light on this:

It seems to me that the incremental rewrite poses a large handicap of having different systems within one forum/suite software package. At least at the beginning of the incremental rewrite until the major backbones and components are rewritten. Wayne explained once that all content types need to be rewritten to CMS content types and until that has been done, we will experience disharmony between content types. I assume that until then there will also be temporary fixes and workarounds to resolve the major problems and needs.

It seems to me that vb is in the following situation (Please correct me if I am wrong):
    The many addons and new functionality in 3.8.x like blog, groups, images seem to be isolated applications that also have to be rewritten.
    So we now have the vb3.x forum which needs to be rewritten, various isolated applications which are not written like the forum software, but that need to be rewritten none the less, plus the new but basic CMS which is the basis for the new rewrite. Its seems clear that this basis is not finished yet.

Im trying to find solid ground. To get an idea of when there will be a product that is ready for production, with a complete CMS core, with at least one working and complete content type (including fully functional comments) within the CMS.

As I see it this will be the point where there is solid ground to build and develop upon. If this point is also the point where forum content has become CMS content then this may also be the point at which big boards may want to move to vb4.

Could you please shed some light on this. I hope you can see how all this is confusing and hard to make development plans on. I am not asking for dates, but for a general time span or for a release version planned, like 4.1 or 4.2 or 4.3 or at some other point?

Leave a comment:

vB 4.0 CMS ERD?

Is the ERD available in any shape or form for vB 4.0 CMS? I'm starting couple of projects in CMS later this month, and the ERD would come mighty handy when figuring out direct integration to some existing systems I'll have to interface with.

Thanks!