Driving me up a damn wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Driving me up a damn wall

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get different layouts in different sections. I know that this is possible, because the "included content" does this (e.g. the "news" section of the included content has a CNN widget that only shows up when one clicks on the "news" section), but I cannot figure out howinahell to do this myself. Everything just has the same layout as the original section. And yes, these are sections, not categories, so the whole "inherited style" thing should not apply.

I run a very small board. I want just a few sections (news, sports, etc.; about five sections), but I want each section to have its own layout, and no matter what I do, every section inherits the layout of the home section. I'm not into categories (we're not big enough to warrant that much of a breakdown), but I want my "news" section to have a 25/50/25 layout with a few widgets on each side, and my "sports" sectino to have a 70/30 layout ith a couple of widgets off to the right, etc.

But no matter what I try, I wind up with the "home page" layout (now posts, new blogs, etc.) on every section. So when I click on "news," I'm looking for RSS feeds and widgets and such, but I instead get the same layout as I do on the home page with recent posts and such.

I wish to stinking high hell vBulletin would actually put out a damned instruction manual on CMS so that those of us who don't write 1000 lines of code a day could actually figure out whatinahell they are doing with this CMS stuff. GAH! Would someone from vBulletin please write up some directions for the rest of us who are operators, not coders? I've asked repeatedly, and I've just been routed to internal sites that have such insightful directions as "to create a new article, click on the 'create new article' link, then create your new article."

Holy crap, what terrible documentation. I don't expect vBulletin staff to deal with every little issue I have at my own site, but for cryin' out loud, at least give me some directions so that I can figure out at least mot of this by myself. Right now, I'm just flying totally f'ing blind, trying to figure out what in the blue blazes I'm supposed to do with this stuff.

Can you check the following documents and see if they can help you?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...Files-28PDF-29
    ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

In the ADmin CP>vBulletin CMS>Layout Manager is where you can edit the actual layout

To choose a layout for a section, you go back to the actual page at the "front end" of the CMS , click on the pencil icon which appears when you hover to the right of the section title.

A little way down you will see a Layout selection menu, where you choose the layout.

Not very intuitive I know.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD View Post
        Can you check the following documents and see if they can help you?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...Files-28PDF-29
        Been through them two dozen times. They don't help. They're very useful for telling me how to log into the ACP, and that's pretty much it.
        Originally posted by Mermaid View Post
        In the ADmin CP>vBulletin CMS>Layout Manager is where you can edit the actual layout

To choose a layout for a section, you go back to the actual page at the "front end" of the CMS , click on the pencil icon which appears when you hover to the right of the section title.

A little way down you will see a Layout selection menu, where you choose the layout.

Not very intuitive I know.
        Holy crap! What a needlessly difficult and stupid way to do things.

OK, so I've figured it out: I just have to go back and re-edit every freaking time in order to get the section layout that I've already created in the ACP.

Good Lord! No wonder so many people have been saying that this CMS sucks. This is some of the most bass-ackward programming I think I have ever seen.

Comment

Just set it once and that's it, you can select the layout you want for that section when you create a section and that's it, don't see why that is backwards at all?

Just create the layouts you want in admincp and name them how you like and select them when you create a section

Comment

Its backwards because instead of just typing his articles he needs to do some admin things.

It's basic you just have to do that once and those sections have the layout you have set it's not that hard.

Comment

Yes, this should be in the Section Manager

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X