User Login and Admin login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] User Login and Admin login

Users are having to enter the details several times for login. I informed them to remove any cookies and try again, but some are still struggling. Should not be that hard to login, any ideas for a permanent solution?

I also have a weird one. With one of my admin logging in. They can login to the forum, they can log into modcp and they can log in to admin CP, but no matter what they are only show the ModCP. Real bizarre. The permissions are rock solid, and I tried this with 4 different browsers so it is not isolated to cookies or specific browser.

Are the two issues related?

Can you get to your forum via the url www.yoursite.com and the url yoursite.com? What do you have set for your cookie domain (vboptions > cookies)?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Going from mydomain.com redirects me to => http://mydomain.com/content/
      going from www.mydomain.com => i get http://www.mydomain.com/content/

As for cookies I use ".mydomain.com", with the directory of simply "/"

Comment

I found the fix for admins, that was a stupid thing on my part dealing with permissions.

But the regular user one is driving me nuts! they can log in, it accepts their login, then they are all of a sudden not logged in.
        Last edited by TheBigC; Wed 3 Feb '10, 1:09pm.

Comment

they are logged in they have to login, click a thread and they click on the forumhome button.
          I also have this.

Comment

What do you have the Session Timeout set to (vboptions > cookies)? Also, are the members checking the Remember Me box when they log in (important!)?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

I have it set high at like 3600.

As for the "remember me", they shouldn't have to do that and then get logged out 3 seconds later when they actually go to open a page. If gives them a message "thanks for logging on xxx" then poof, they are not logged in. Really odd.

Comment

Have you seen if this happens on a totally default style?
                Create a new style with no parent:
                • Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Style
                • Parent Style: No Parent Style
                • Title: Default vBulletin
                • Allow User Selection: Yes
                • Save

Then browse the site using that totally default vbulletin style - do you still have the same problem?

Do you have a test account so I can try this out (on the default style)?

Comment

I am glad I am not the only one with this issue - I thought I was going mad. In my case, I have some users who can login, but then it appears that they haven't logged in and the forum permissions that are shown at the bottom of the page all show "You may not...". Only some users are affected - initially, I put it down to browser issue, but one of my users has just gotten a fresh PC (clean OS install) and still has the issue.

Comment

This may be completely off-base, but I had a similar problem when I upgraded from 3.6 to 3.8.4 to 4.00, upgrade day.

I had successfully used URL forwarding on GoDaddy and, I suspect the security had been tightened down on 4.0.0 and prevented this.

I have since learned that the earlier versions of VB didn't support forwarding, but my system didn't get the memo.

After I eliminated the forwarding, I was able to move forward on the myriad of remaining issues.

Comment

Some of my users are also having this issue. I've gotten them to clear cookies & cache and they're still experiencing problems.

Is there anything I can suggest to them?
                      TopDog

Comment

Several of my members are also having this problem. It would be super to find the solution.
                        British Genealogy.

Comment

OK, I found a friend that added some help on this. It is a simple fix that I did not realize...

In your Config.php (normally /root/includes/config.php) you edit the following line:

// Prefix that all vBulletin cookies will have
                          // Keep this short and only use numbers and letters, i.e. 1-9 and a-Z
                          $config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb';

to:

// Prefix that all vBulletin cookies will have
                          // Keep this short and only use numbers and letters, i.e. 1-9 and a-Z
                          $config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'uniquename';

The reason for it is by default everyone that throws up a VB site by default uses the same cookie name! So once I renamed it , I was able to have a unique cookie. After that, there was no issues by any users....
                          Last edited by TheBigC; Tue 9 Feb '10, 3:14am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X