Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Vbulletin killing our SEO? Has Your Traffic Dropped after Upgrading to VB4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melbo
    replied
    I'm waiting in the weeds for a few things on vB4 and still running 3.8.4 but I recently dropped my forum titles from my URLs, (also added relevant replacements) and my page rank overall has gone up significantly on 2 key SERPS that get you to my niche. From 11 to 4

Leave a comment:

• Art Andrews
    replied
    Perhaps you can help some of you who are more educated about SEO can help us who are not understand a bit better. I have two vBulletin sites, one that has been upgraded to vB 4 and one that has not. Perhaps it is coincidental, but the one that was upgraded to vB 4 has lost a lot of standing with Google since the upgrade. Sitelinks have disappeared from the site, the # of pages Google is indexing has dropped almost in half. adsense has plummeted... Maybe the site is just natually becoming less popular, but it seems odd that all of these things coincided with the upgrade to vB 4. It makes me very afraid of upgrading the other site to vB 4... Any thoughts on this?

Leave a comment:

• Project-Buckfast
    replied
    I'm with Loco on this. I actually manually removed my **duplicate** title tags from 3.8.4 as it's bad SEO practice.

I was happy to see that I didn't need to manually remove them all from vB4.

Along with vBseo, my indexed pages are going at the normal, if not faster rate than they were on 3.8.4

This is NOT a bad thing.

This is a SEO feature, which is better for you in the long run. Your site is being reindexed everyday and will quickly pick up on the new titles.

If you have friendly url's enabled, they will have keywords in them, so will thread content, keywords are not a problem.

Removing your sitemap from webmaster tools will only slow the update process. Sitemaps should be used for the most important pages only. No point in having member profiles in a sitemap. Think of them as a way to draw attention to you important content.

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    removing the board name will help in your longtail SEO anyways, I recommend it to everyone
    Last edited by Project-Buckfast; Thu 4th Feb '10, 9:43am.

Leave a comment:

• djmac
    replied
    Originally posted by xinnek View Post
    Am I the only forum owner that has noticed that the forum name is now excluded from thread titles? This has proven to be nearly fatal to one of my forums with around 20,000 members. Without keywords added to the posts, some threads make absolutely no sense or will never be found. Even threads you may think are titled half deceit like: "When to change synthetic oil" brings no traffic if it isn't coupled with a keyword associated with the forum like "Honda Accord Forum", "Golf MKV Forum", "Subaru WRX Forum", etc. Google puts some of its strongest weight on titles. This goes for adsense too. So get ready to lose 90% of your adsense income.

So someone searching for "Honda Accord When to change synthetic oil" will probably never find your thread now titled "When to change synthetic oil" in google. Actually that search will return thousands of results, the only forum results is where either the forum name shows up in the title or if the Thread creator had the forethought of including "Honda Accord" in it's thread title. This of course hardly ever happens, members don't think to add "Honda Accord" if they are on a "Honda Accord" forum. But searchers and Google can't read the poster's thoughts and needs some guidance to find the correct result.

At this time, I feel cheated and deceived by Vbulletin. I put my faith into you and I wasn't even notified that something this significant was missing in VB4 compared to VB3.8. This small fact that your tech seemed to find so insignificant, has cost me over 1500 unique visitors per day from just google. I've started putting in temporary fixes which has immediately caused my results to start to climb, but without at least the forum name in the title, I fear I'm not the only lamb being lead to slaughter

The idea fix for this would be to make thread titles amendable by forum. So a thread in a forum about a Ford Cougar wouldn't be mistaken by Google as a thread about Mountain Lions. i.e. "my cougar climbs mountains fast"

Making members change the title of their threads alienate them also. Plus who wants to look at 500 threads that has Chevrolet Avalanche as the first part of the thread. Makes for a very confusing time.
    Here's how Google saw it in VB3.8
    • Oil Change Intervals Chevrolet Avalanche Forum
    • noob cool ride Chevrolet Avalanche Forum
    • transmission problem Chevrolet Avalanche Forum
    • wheel change Chevrolet Avalanche Forum
    • healight fix Chevrolet Avalanche Forum
    • interior light DIY Chevrolet Avalanche Forum
    Now this is how google sees the same threads in VB4:
    • Oil Change Intervals
    • noob cool ride
    • transmission problem
    • wheel change
    • healight fix
    • interior light DIY
    Get it? Each Forum needs to have variable keywords for the titles. VBULLETIN, PLEASE FIX THIS

BTW, Has anyone else upgraded to VB4.0 and seen their traffic drop off the face of the earth?
    I couldn't agree withh you more on all of the above. I have stated in a few post that I have lost my position in google ever since I upgraded to 4.0gold. Only to be lectured by some kid telling me there is all kinds of information on the internet about google. I remember when I held top three of a page in a google search
    and didn't have to do anything to get it there. Except for some keywords inserted in the admincp setup.

I hope these issues will be addressed in up and coming updates.

Regards
    Don

Leave a comment:

• wilczek
    replied
    Arrogance

Why is it vBulletin think we are all technical and that when we purchase/upgrade we should be expected to get technical and go around making all our own mods - I raised this issue http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...77#post1919977 and have had one response so far. vBulletin - You should address these issues and you should also make the answers in easy to implement language that doesn't involve tech speak.

Just my view - and my site is suffering large fall off in visits and in adsense since upgrading - what can I do about it ? Nothing due to the attitude of vBulletin and their failure to properly support their upgrades. So - here's your chance, I am really hoping for a change in attitude - he waits in hope !!!!!

W

Leave a comment:

• roymogg
    replied
    Hi Xinnek

I have noticed a sharp falloff in traffic and adsense earnings since the upgrade to VB4 - I put this down to the upgrade downtime and the sitemap problems I had with VBSEO (I could not get the native VB sitemap working right).

My adsense has fallen from around 30$ a week to about 7$ which is quite a drop (we are a small site) and traffic in webmasters shows the reason.

It could be the VBA links directory is out of the air as Brian is struggling with the upgrade but I am beginning to think it may be structural but am at a loss to explain it.

cheers

Roy

Leave a comment:

• xinnek
    replied
    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    ps.. page rank has nothing to do with your title or structure
    Page rank is based on the links back to your site..

and pps.. if you are really upset about losing the duplicate title on every single page, it can easily be added back into the phrase or template
    If you're going to make a suggestion, why not tell us how to do it? I'm sorry we're stupid & not your intellectual equal in the area of coding Vbulletin. and pps... If you're just gonna tell us how stupid we are, please find another thread to ridicule people in.

Originally posted by barcena View Post
    Well not everybody is a coder, some people just want to have a normal working site and the reality is that since the migration my PR have dropped.
    Originally posted by barcena View Post
    I don't know if Im understanding this very well but I do know that my Adsense is going down the drain dramatically after the upgrade to 4.0

As a help I placed my site name on the Welcome area so now it shows Welcome To XXXX but... My forum pr has lost a digit since the migration.

Im TRULY dissapointed and regret everyday have upgraded to vb4 so soon. Everything on the site is about looks but is failing on the core, for some reason i can't even put the vbseo on cuz this version and vbseo are not a good match server wise, so i spent my money on something i can't use.

The site's like a brainless model: beautiful yet incompetent.
    Yep, I can't get DTO to upgrade their software because their scared VB is going to change something drastically and destroy their work so we just have to wait. Tell me what your forum about and I can probably explain exactly why your adsense is sucking.

Leave a comment:

• barcena
    replied
    Probably I need to update the keywords or do something else i'm missing, I can't use the vBSEO on vb4 because the CPU goes to the roof so I don't know if that's really a key.

I had a great deal of links builded already and I don't know how Google "takes" the vBSEO on and off but the PR have dropped so the Google Adsense income.

Leave a comment:

• FaSho
    replied
    Funny you say this since after updating my forum title, and updating my sites keywords my Google ranks have improved.

Leave a comment:

• barcena
    replied
    Well not everybody is a coder, some people just want to have a normal working site and the reallity is that since the migration my PR have dropped.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    ps.. page rank has nothing to do with your title or structure
    Page rank is based on the links back to your site..

and pps.. if you are really upset about losing the duplicate title on every single page, it can easily be added back into the phrase or template

Leave a comment:

• barcena
    replied
    I don't know if Im understanding this very well but I do know that my Adsense is going down the drain dramatically after the upgrade to 4.0

As a help I placed my site name on the Welcome area so now it shows Welcome To XXXX but... My forum pr has lost a digit since the migration.

Im TRULY dissapointed and regret everyday have upgraded to vb4 so soon. Everything on the site is about looks but is failing on the core, for some reason i can't even put the vbseo on cuz this version and vbseo are not a good match server wise, so i spent my money on something i can't use.

The site's like a brainless model: beautiful yet incompetent.
    Last edited by barcena; Wed 3rd Feb '10, 12:34pm.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    removing the board name will help in your longtail SEO anyways, I recommend it to everyone

Leave a comment:

• Al Zander
    replied
    Originally posted by xinnek View Post
    I made a ticket about it and the tech didn't even think it was a big deal.
    Submitting a ticket is not the same as submitting a bug report. Do up a bug report, link it in this thread and if enough people vote and comment in the bug report, then it has a better chance of persuading vB developers to address your concern. A one on one exchange through a ticket, or even a stray forum thread is not going to have the same effect.

Leave a comment:

• xinnek
    replied
    After adding specific styles where I manipulated the titles, I deleted my sitemap at google and let the adsense and google bots start crawling the site manually. This sucks because I'll lose a lot of threads that haven't been posted in for a long period of time. Adsense is still sucking, at the rate of less than a whole dollar with several thousand impressions. The good news is, I have found that there are a 2 results that have updated with the new titles and they actually come up in the serps.

I understand the concept behind stripping away the title for some forums, because it can be redundant. I think that is the exception rather than the norm. IMO, many forums will be literally destroyed if there is nothing done about this. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, but I believe there will be literally thousands of forums that will suffer if something isn't done about it. Come on VB, you've always done us proud in the past. Help us overcome this problem and show us you are the #1 forum software in the Universe! I really want to believe in you again.

Leave a comment: