Thread deletion problems with HostGator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Thread deletion problems with HostGator

Hi, I'm trying to migrate my forums over to HostGator. I should mention that I have my attachments stored in the file system and NOTthe database. The directory is reference as /home/myhgaccount/attachdir

I've made sure attachdir is chmod 777. I can post the message with attachment no problem, but when I go to delete the thread (and physically remove), I get the following error and the attachment file is still visible in the file system. I even went to the file system and did a chmod 777 on the actual file and verified the permissions before deleting the thread via thread tools and still got the error. Has anyone run into this with HostGator?

I have no issues on my own server.

Error message as follows:

Database Error

Database error in vBulletin 4.0.1:

Invalid SQL:

UPDATE post AS p
    SET p.attach = (
    SELECT COUNT(*)
    FROM attachment AS a
    WHERE
    p.postid = a.contentid
    AND
    a.contenttypeid = 1
    GROUP BY a.contentid
    )
    WHERE p.postid IN (239);

MySQL Error : Column 'attach' cannot be null
    Error Number : 1048
    Request Date : Tuesday, February 2nd 2010 @ 10:05:53 AM
    Error Date : Tuesday, February 2nd 2010 @ 10:05:53 AM
    Script : http://www.mytestforums/forums/posti...d&threadid=152
    Referrer : http://www.mytestforums/forums/postings.php
    IP Address :
    Username : Adminuser
    Classname : vB_Database_MySQLi
    MySQL Version : 5.1.30

Thanks,

ErnestA
    Help Desk / Asset Management Software
    K12Advantage.com. Collaboration in K-12 Education

Turns out HostGator uses 755 permissions even if you set 777. Is there any way to make this work with 755 permissions?

Also, there is really no size limit to tables under Linux with 2.4 or higher kernel and ext3 JFS (well, the limit is 4 TB which is huge).

Does anyone have experience with large attachment tables and vBulltin? (say between 50 and 500 Gigabytes?). How much load does it put on the Mysql Server?

Thanks,

ErnestA

Comment

I've never had a problem deleting threads on my HostGator account.

Are you using a fresh install?
      s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

No, I'm backing up my own server's install and restoring it to HG.

One question, are you storing your attachments in the database or filesystem?

Comment

Its got nothing to do with Hostgator.

You can't delete a thread with attachments, no one can, Its a PITFA and it wil not be fixed until VB4.03. It took me a fair bit to convince VB but they finally acknoweledged it. The bug is listed in projects.
          ttttt

Comment

I have a fairly big forum and Hostgator were not enough, great customer care but not enough resources on one of their best vps plans.

I went to urljet, not the motion of the ocean but they are specialized on vb, no ad intended i have no gain on that whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by ErnestA View Post
              No, I'm backing up my own server's install and restoring it to HG.

One question, are you storing your attachments in the database or filesystem?
              I store mine in the database.

Edit: I just tried to delete a thread with an attachment and it failed. What a surprise. Another bug.
              Database error in vBulletin 4.0.1:

Invalid SQL:

UPDATE post AS p
              SET p.attach = (
              SELECT COUNT(*)
              FROM attachment AS a
              WHERE
              p.postid = a.contentid
              AND
              a.contenttypeid = 1
              GROUP BY a.contentid
              )
              WHERE p.postid IN (238711);

MySQL Error : Column 'attach' cannot be null
              Error Number : 1048
              Request Date : Wednesday, February 3rd 2010 @ 05:08:05 PM
              Error Date : Wednesday, February 3rd 2010 @ 05:08:05 PM
              Script : http://www.TEST.org/inlinemod.php?do...adids=24967736
              Referrer : http://www.TEST.org/inlinemod.php?forumid=935
              IP Address : 72.224.164
              Username : sws4420
              Classname : vB_Database
              Last edited by s0lidgr0und; Wed 3 Feb '10, 3:41pm.
              s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

Originally posted by s0lidgr0und View Post

Edit: I just tried to delete a thread with an attachment and it failed. What a surprise. Another bug.
                Would have saved you the trouble if you had have read 2 posts earlier.
                ttttt

Comment

I did, I wanted to try it on my site. I don't delete anything off my site, so it's not something I'd normally come across.

Comment

Originally posted by barcena View Post
                    I have a fairly big forum and Hostgator were not enough, great customer care but not enough resources on one of their best vps plans.

I went to urljet, not the motion of the ocean but they are specialized on vb, no ad intended i have no gain on that whatsoever.
                    what? it was not enough?

hostgator uses servers up 16 cores for shared hosting....:S

why use a vps instead a shared hosting plan?

pd: how many users has your forum? unique visitors?
                    vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
                    Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

Comment

I don't usually delete things either, I came accross the issue when trying to copy an attachment to another thread.......I don't reccomend doing that, it crashed my DB......It causes cahos.

I'm with Hostgator too, DB grew to over a gig with attachments stored in DB without a problem, now storing them in file system. HG is pretty impressive but it depends which server your on. Ive got two shared accounts.
                      My test server is as slow as a wet week but the server that the live forum is on absolutely rocks.
                      ttttt

Comment

If it is a bug it must be hit and miss. I assumed it was permissions because on my main board on my own server, I can delete attachments no problem at all and the file is removed from the filesystem. Can't do it on HG.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't wish bad luck on others, but I'm relieved others were able to reproduce the problem so hopefully vB will address it if it is indeed a bug.

Interesting that some of you who store your attachments in the DB are having the problem as well, certainly takes permissions off the table as a cause for the bug you reproduced.
                        Last edited by ErnestA; Wed 3 Feb '10, 8:34pm.

Comment

Originally posted by kat00 View Post
                          I don't usually delete things either, I came accross the issue when trying to copy an attachment to another thread.......I don't reccomend doing that, it crashed my DB......It causes cahos.

I'm with Hostgator too, DB grew to over a gig with attachments stored in DB without a problem, now storing them in file system. HG is pretty impressive but it depends which server your on. Ive got two shared accounts.
                          My test server is as slow as a wet week but the server that the live forum is on absolutely rocks.
                          If your performance sucks can you ask them to move you to another server?

Comment

I use Host Gator and I’m mostly satisfied with the service. I was curious and went to the URLJET website and was impressed with the sales pitch that supports vBulletin sites.

But, then I looked at the pricing structure and I was really surprised. They're not a little more, but allot more and they limit the bandwidth and the allowed space, etc. The hosting world has changed, with no limits on anything and for allot less. They seem to be in the past. I appreciate the dedication to vBulletin customers, but too much is just too much.

Comment

Originally posted by cloferba View Post
                              what? it was not enough?

hostgator uses servers up 16 cores for shared hosting....:S

why use a vps instead a shared hosting plan?

pd: how many users has your forum? unique visitors?
                              I usually have around 300 people inside at the same time; Today i had few to 7000 unique visitors, I have been on VPS's for years because no shared can handle it, a turtle was faster and every other company I was on (share) very politely told me to get a VPS and get out of here your burning my servers and other sites are down bc of you *&*&^^%%&^*^ years ago so, eventually I got the VPS....my site probably is not as good as it should be or has a huge db or have problems on the core besides those vb4 bugs and stuff because is not normal, no matter how many resources and still slow on Newreply for instance. On 3.8.x I was always w/ the CPU to the roof and buying memory all the time and I was already on a VPS by years, however 3.8.x was very robust, never had any problems but those i'm telling you.

When Id migrate to vb4 forget it, had to went shopping for another hosting because next thing w/ that company was a dedicated....and now is even worse, at least on 3.8.x I had my vBSEO running, now the moment I enable it (if I can even get into the vBSEO options) the CPU goes trough the roof in a matter of seconds to 1 mint and the server comes down in a flash.

Answers:

- vBulletin: Your hosting is not enough for running us with our mods and stuff and vBSEO. (hey guys but i have a good hosting plan...) ain't matter, not enough.
                              - vBSEO: vB4 is to resource intense and plenty of bugs so your problem will be vb4 along with poor server resources. (hey guys but i have a good hosting plan...) ain't matter, not enough.
                              - Hosting: vb4 and vBSEO are too resource intense, combined they are not a good match and for some reason the CPU goes to the roof in no time so as a precaution we take the server down for 5 mints. (but vb and vBSEO said they are not the problem) ain't matter, we know your resources, they are the problem.

My resources:

2 GB RAM - RAID-10 Disk Space10 60 GB - Premium Bandwidth 900 GB
                              Last edited by barcena; Wed 3 Feb '10, 11:27pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X