Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

API Key

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Blog] API Key

    Steve, Lynne or anyone. Can you address the API Key entry in the users admincp setup? I have one for a wordpress site and the API key is invalid for the entry in vB. Where do I get a good one and what is it there for. I would really appreciate some sort of help. I posted another question about getting back my google position I once held and now I no longer do since I upgraded. I am really starting to get quit disillusioned with 4.0 Gold.

    Don
    Stress: The overwhelming desire to choke the s*@t out of someone.

  • #2
    Are you talking about the API key for akismet? You would get it here - http://akismet.com/

    There was someone else who posted about his rank in google going down after he upgraded. He then posted about a week later saying everything was back to normal. You may want to go check out his thread.

    Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

    W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      Are you talking about the API key for akismet? You would get it here - http://akismet.com/

      There was someone else who posted about his rank in google going down after he upgraded. He then posted about a week later saying everything was back to normal. You may want to go check out his thread.
      Sometimes I feel like I speak another language. I am talking about the individual user profiles in the admincp. Select any user and look at the bottom left side where blogs parameters are set. There you will see an entry for a Wordpress API Key. That's all it says. Whats it for? and where do I get it? I already have a key for akismet human check. This entry obviously has something to do with the blog and wordpress. The reason I am pushing this is that our blogs, forums and cms aren't getting the google position I was owned in google. I know this involves more than one area but at least we should know why. All the documentation points to what everything means but doesn't tell you how to obtain the objective. Sorry for getting off on a rant I am just getting frustrated.

      Thanks
      Don
      Stress: The overwhelming desire to choke the s*@t out of someone.

      Comment


      • #4
        I just checked this...

        If I input the API key in my profile it does not save to the database, when you view the same profile again. I then edited the database manually, and added the API key then saved the new data. In the AdminCP it then actually shows in the users profile. It seems vBulletin will not save this API key through the AdminCP.

        Comment


        • #5
          It is the akismet key. See this on your Blog settings page:
          Spam Prevention

          Wordpress API Key:
          In order to reduce the amount of spam on your blog the administrator has provided the option to provide an Akismet key.
          I have never used that, but if I were to do so, I would go to the akismet site and get a key and enter it there. But, like I said, I've never used it before so I can't tell you much beyond that.

          edit: Just to add.... I misplaced my key, but finally got it again and just entered it in the Blog Settings and got the Invalid Key like you did. I'd guess it's a bug and you may want to search the bug tracker and see if it is already entered and if not, enter it.

          Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

          W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lynne View Post
            It is the akismet key. See this on your Blog settings page:
            I have never used that, but if I were to do so, I would go to the akismet site and get a key and enter it there. But, like I said, I've never used it before so I can't tell you much beyond that.

            edit: Just to add.... I misplaced my key, but finally got it again and just entered it in the Blog Settings and got the Invalid Key like you did. I'd guess it's a bug and you may want to search the bug tracker and see if it is already entered and if not, enter it.
            Thank you Lynne. At least I know I am not blowing smke here and it happened to someone else. I believe there is a complete disconnect between the coders and reality. I was a cook years ago and I could take a dried up potato and garnish it and people will eat it. It seems that this version of Vb is exactly that.

            Don
            Stress: The overwhelming desire to choke the s*@t out of someone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by syrus.xl View Post
              I just checked this...

              If I input the API key in my profile it does not save to the database, when you view the same profile again. I then edited the database manually, and added the API key then saved the new data. In the AdminCP it then actually shows in the users profile. It seems vBulletin will not save this API key through the AdminCP.
              No offense syrus but your reply doesn't even come close to what I am asking. Sorry to sound annoyed but I am. I want to know what it does? How does it benefit the blog? What does have to do with the Blog? Will it give me better positioning in google? Right now I don't think anyone knows why its there. I have a wordpress account and a wordpress API key and when I enter that key it vb says its in an invalid key. When I ask wordpress.com about it they refer me to the wordpress.org site where I can't find anything on this subject. I have to say I am very disappointed with Google, Wordpress and Vb for documentation on configuring their platforms. I think Lynne and Steve do a fantastic job but they aren't the programmers of this software. What we need are those programming people to get on line and start explaining some of this confusion. I have been using Vb since v2 and instead of getting better it is now going down hill. If things don't change for the better it will be the last version I use.

              Don
              Stress: The overwhelming desire to choke the s*@t out of someone.

              Comment


              • #8
                It will not give you better rankings in google. It is a spam fighting tool on the comments section of the blogs.

                It has nothing to do with google rankings. The reason you can not save it to the users profile from the adminCP is because each user has to set their own key. They have to sign up for the key them selfs.



                How does akismet works
                When a new comment, trackback, or pingback comes to your site it is submitted to the Akismet web service which runs hundreds of tests on the comment and returns a thumbs up or thumbs down.


                How ever there seems to be a bug with saving the key. As Lynne said check the Bug Tracker and see if it has been reported. If it hasn't report the bug.

                Let me get this correct. You want the developers to come here and answer all these questions on the forum? They have staff for that. I would rather the developers stay working on fixing the bugs and let the support staff handle the forums.

                You are complaining about something you can find the answers to all over the place.
                http://www.google.com/search?q=wordp...ey+for+akismet
                My statements are based on the forums not the CMS as I do not and will not use it.
                If I wanted faulty software I would code it my self. When I pay I expect to get what is advertised. I do not feel I got what I paid for.
                In an honest opinion I feel I paid for vB 5.0 beta 7

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wipe the water off the back of your ears before you lecture me.

                  Originally posted by BBR-APBT View Post
                  It will not give you better rankings in google. It is a spam fighting tool on the comments section of the blogs.

                  It has nothing to do with google rankings. The reason you can not save it to the users profile from the adminCP is because each user has to set their own key. They have to sign up for the key them selfs.



                  How does akismet works
                  When a new comment, trackback, or pingback comes to your site it is submitted to the Akismet web service which runs hundreds of tests on the comment and returns a thumbs up or thumbs down.


                  How ever there seems to be a bug with saving the key. As Lynne said check the Bug Tracker and see if it has been reported. If it hasn't report the bug.

                  Let me get this correct. You want the developers to come here and answer all these questions on the forum? They have staff for that. I would rather the developers stay working on fixing the bugs and let the support staff handle the forums.

                  You are complaining about something you can find the answers to all over the place.
                  http://www.google.com/search?q=wordp...ey+for+akismet

                  Who are you aiming your response at. If it is me then let me have the chance to correct you. I know what Akismet does. I wanted to know what the empty Wordpress API key block in the user profile is for. And you say it is for users to get and on a individual bases?

                  The key doesn't save and I already checked the bug list.

                  As far as ranking goes I was asking why I LOST my position in google since I upgraded. I can't seem to get it back and I would like to have someone with knowledge and manners to tell me why. But google did provide an answer for me. Not VB. That was the first part and the second question was why the API Key area in the user profile. What does it do for me and etc etc. But we know now why it doesn't work. It's useless as it stands.

                  And yes you are damn right I want the programmers out here to tell me why I spent close to 300 bucks for a program that is full of bugs. I have been using vb since v2 and I never had any problems. Stop reading into a message and read what the message is about. Not everyone is smarter than you.
                  Last edited by djmac; Sun 31st Jan '10, 5:49pm.
                  Stress: The overwhelming desire to choke the s*@t out of someone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    OK guys, everyone has had their say now. We need to remember to not take our frustrations out on each other.

                    djmac, I found this bug report - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=33088 It turns out it will only work if the admin has akismet turned on in vboptions > Spam Management. I hope that helps.

                    Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

                    W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you

                      Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                      OK guys, everyone has had their say now. We need to remember to not take our frustrations out on each other.

                      djmac, I found this bug report - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=33088 It turns out it will only work if the admin has akismet turned on in vboptions > Spam Management. I hope that helps.
                      The voice of reason. Thank you. I enabled Akismet and it worked.

                      No more negative comments from me. I was just a bit frustrated.

                      Regards
                      Don
                      Stress: The overwhelming desire to choke the s*@t out of someone.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by djmac View Post
                        Who are you aiming your response at. If it is me then let me have the chance to correct you. I know what Akismet does. I wanted to know what the empty Wordpress API key block in the user profile is for. And you say it is for users to get and on a individual bases?

                        The key doesn't save and I already checked the bug list.

                        As far as ranking goes I was asking why I LOST my position in google since I upgraded. I can't seem to get it back and I would like to have someone with knowledge and manners to tell me why. But google did provide an answer for me. Not VB. That was the first part and the second question was why the API Key area in the user profile. What does it do for me and etc etc. But we know now why it doesn't work. It's useless as it stands.

                        And yes you are damn right I want the programmers out here to tell me why I spent close to 300 bucks for a program that is full of bugs. I have been using vb since v2 and I never had any problems. Stop reading into a message and read what the message is about. Not everyone is smarter than you.

                        Dude I was only trying to help you. I was telling you the way things work. You can check my profile and find all post by me. All I do is help around here. I was not rude in anyway. I just did not candy coat my post.

                        This line led me to believe you thought this had to do with your Google rankings.
                        The reason I am pushing this is that our blogs, forums and cms aren't getting the google position I was owned in google.
                        Sorry I didn't put a cherry on top.



                        Edit:
                        Glad you got it working.
                        My statements are based on the forums not the CMS as I do not and will not use it.
                        If I wanted faulty software I would code it my self. When I pay I expect to get what is advertised. I do not feel I got what I paid for.
                        In an honest opinion I feel I paid for vB 5.0 beta 7

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Could anyone please provide some ignorant-friendly hints on what exactly are trackbacks / pingbacks? Are they supposed to work as an inter-vbulletin linking system, or do they refer to external blogs? For instance, if I own a blog in my vbulletin and another one in blogspot.com, can I use trackbacks / pingbacks and how?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That is probably a question best asked in it's own thread, not just added to the bottom of this one which is about something else entirely.

                            Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

                            W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had problem adding Askimet key to personal blog as it was not accepting as valid key. I went into control panel and turned on Spam management, selecting askimet and entering key. The option to add askimet key to individual blog page is no longer available. Please advise
                              .

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X