How to Stop Bot Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] How to Stop Bot Registration

A lot of bots registered on the forum, but they cannot post for they have to verify via email first.

How can I stop bots from registering in the first place?

Do you not have the human verification setting set? That stops most bots.

Comment

When I switched to question and answer almost all spammers stopped trying to register.

Comment

Q&A is the best way.
        Jason Craig – Partner
        Wet Coast Sports LTD
        Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

Another alternative to using Q & A is the vbStopForumSpam mod: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=230921. I've been using it for almost a year, works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by waynem View Post
            When I switched to question and answer almost all spammers stopped trying to register.
            How do you switch to Q&A?

I have COPPA Registration System turned on in User Registration Options.

Comment

I use Stop Forum Spam. In 10 months only 2 have gotten by this check. The Q&A works well too.

John
              You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.

Comment

I use reCAPTCHA,.... and have other mechanisms in place in the event that is circumvented by human spammers.

I used to use StopForumSpam, but it was too strong and was blocking people I know, that were blocked by username, or some IP's that I know were legit for my freinds.

I will reinstall it again if needed, but for the moment I know reCAPTCHA is working well.

Comment

The built in reCAPTCHA has done sod all for bots on my forum, they seem to get past that like anything!! Annoys the hell out of me, but I have the StopForumSpam addon installed now and that checks IPs with a database and then stops them if they are a known bot. I think vB isn't really very good with default settings for Bots to get through, which is a bit of a downer as it costs so much and then you have to modify it straight away to stop the spammers getting through.
                  Regards, Ben
                  Pukka Radio Owner and Founder

Using vBulletin Since September 2007
                  Running vBulletin 4.0.1. :: Working on a few Template Modifications for vB4 :: My vB.org Profile

Comment

Q&A stopped most of these problems for our forum.
                    AxeAsylum.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X