No announcement yet.

When will vbulletin.com walk the talk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] When will vbulletin.com walk the talk?

When will you vbulletin.com use the new CMS module on your own front page?

Not sure what the point of this question is, the CMS is a tool that we can put on our root if we want, or just have available as a tab if we want. It depends on the site and what they prefer to have for their home page.

In short, there is no reason vBulletin should or needs to have the CMS as their home page any more than my site or your site should.

Comment

Originally posted by waynem View Post
      In short, there is no reason vBulletin should or needs to have the CMS as their home page any more than my site or your site should.
      Actually.. I disagree
      I think vBulletin should use it's cms when you go to vbulletin.com
      it would be the best way to show off what the script can do, look at IPB, their entire site is made of products we can buy, we can't currently buy the same thing vbulletin.com is ran on.

but than again... I would just be happy if the stupid formatting wasn't jacked up in the post..
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

The CMS isn't capable of handling the vb.com front page. lol
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
          The CMS isn't capable of handling the vb.com front page. lol
          honestly I don't see why not
          you can add tabs and pages
          or is it that the CMS would bring vb.com to a halt?

Comment

I would think its a marketing decision as to what they wish to present on their home page. I'm not saying its wrong to use CMS, but that is up to them. Its simple enough to view their CMS by clicking on the tab.

Comment

I am not sure it is a marketing decision. I rather think it shows that the CMS product lacks the possibility to create static pages. Their own homepage is a static php file. However, most of us I assume needs a dynamic start page and possibilities to create static pages for for example "About us". Correct me if I am wrong, but today you can not easily create static pages from within the new CMS product.

It would be very nice if vbulletin.com could use the same tool (on their start page) they want us to start to use.

For example I assume many sites would like to have at least the following on their start page:

1. the amount of members,
              2. how many of its members are logged in,
              3. the latest post, and
              4. login fields.

Today I see nothing of that on vbulletin.com.
              Last edited by Byggahus; Sat 30th Jan '10, 5:17am.

Comment

Originally posted by Byggahus View Post
                I am not sure it is a marketing decision. I rather think it shows that the CMS product lacks the possibility to create static pages. Their own homepage is a static php file. However, most of us I assume needs a dynamic start page and possibilities to create static pages for for example "About us" etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but today you can not easily create static pages from within the new CMS product.

It would be very nice if vbulletin.com could use the same tool (on their start page) they want us to start to use.
                Exactly that!! Why should vB.com run their CMS as their homepage? It's up to them!! vB.com is not the right place for CMS as staed above. It doesn't need updating on a daily basis. The main reason for CMS is if you have 2+ people needing to update homepage content on a rapid basis. My site doesn't need it, so why would I use it?! vB.com is mainly for Forum Software, and they use it for their forums. As said by a few people, I don't see the main reason for this thread at all!!
                Regards, Ben
                Pukka Radio Owner and Founder

Using vBulletin Since September 2007
                Running vBulletin 4.0.1. :: Working on a few Template Modifications for vB4 :: My vB.org Profile

Comment

It's not what I want....

Originally posted by Byggahus View Post
                  I am not sure it is a marketing decision. I rather think it shows that the CMS product lacks the possibility to create static pages. Their own homepage is a static php file. However, most of us I assume needs a dynamic start page and possibilities to create static pages for for example "About us". Correct me if I am wrong, but today you can not easily create static pages from within the new CMS product.

For example I assume many sites would like to have at least the following on their start page:

1. the amount of members,
                  2. how many of its members are logged in,
                  3. the latest post, and
                  4. login fields.

Today I see nothing of that on vbulletin.com.
                  Personally I want to remove the number of members and how many are logged in from the homepage, but can't....I guess most of us want something different . Not being a programmer I've asked on vBulletin.org for some custom code but noone's come back yet. I'm assuming they are all busy with the implications of moving over to vB4.0, including getting their mods to work.

I'm only just getting used to vB4.0. Still have a few problems with it but as far as I can see it looks as though if you want to use the CMS front page as your home page, if you set the permissions so that only you can edit it, then it will serve the function of a home page anyway. So does it matter that it's not "static"?

JJ

Comment

The vB4 CMS is for news and articles, not static content (yet).
                    vB4 SuperCharged
                    http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Darkimmortal View Post
                      The vB4 CMS is for news and articles, not static content (yet).
                      There really should be no problem at all running vb.com with the cms as their home page.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X