Image migration from 3.8 to 4.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Image migration from 3.8 to 4.01

WE have a large forum that is used as a research based area for users world wide. Thus we have images posted that are years old. When we upgraded to the 4.0 we lost many of our images that were vital. After consulting with our web admin I'm told there is an issue with the back up from 3.84 being overwritten to 4.0 and thus not able to migrate the images over. (see comment)

"Thats what we are trying to do is have an old version running 3.84. I don’t know if I am explaining it properly but the image [attachment] structure is different from 3.84 to 4.01

So the backup for the db is fine but the backup for the image folder is re written in the new vb format, so what we are trying to do is bring back an old forum with new image formats which is very very difficult."

If we have a back up of the forums with the images from say Nov. 09 and Dec 09 can we somehow restore to the posts the images that were lost? This is a huge problem for us and we are trying in vain to get some help on this issue and restore the lost images. We switched server types as ell to better handle the traffic flow from windows based to APACHE based Linux dual servers.

Problem two is we have many members on IE8 that can not post a new topic. Regardless of the compatibility view fix in IE8 it still does not work well and they can not make new topics. Suggestions? We have run through the clear the cache issue and compatibility view issues which clears maybe 50% of them but that still leaves hundreds with issues.

Last but not least we have many members now who can not log in or stay logged in. The system is not recognizing the password/user name and even if they request a new one or we manually change the password they can not log in. Is there a fix or solution to this?

Thank you for any help you can offer. Our biggest and most vital pressing matter is the image loss of all images that were uploaded to our old forums prior to the upgrade to 4.0 and 4.01.
    Last edited by Gunboards.com; Mon 25 Jan '10, 5:32pm.

Image migration from 3.8 to 4.01

I have exactly the same problem. Working with support tickets is very slow.
    Looks like I am not able to communicate my point across.

Comment

Sorry about these problems and I hope vB can fix them for all of us soon.
      With all respect, why did you upgrade such a large forum with software that was just days old while vB.com was full of hundreds of threads about these exact problems?

Comment

dupe
        Last edited by melbo; Mon 25 Jan '10, 6:23pm.

Comment

We were unaware of the issues and it was presented in what we thought was a simple patch like we have received hundreds of times in the past. If we knew it was going to be such an issue we would NEVER have upgraded to 4.0 at this time. We have hundreds of members that can not log in or stay logged in. Hundreds of members that can not start a new topic in IE8 or earlier or are having upload issues with images were the editor is telling them they have reached there limit of 12 with only 3 pictures uploaded. This has been a costly in terms of dollars event and in terms of members. We have over 70,000 members globally and over 1.2 million posts and our traffic is down at least 30% over the past month. This is a disaster for us and the slow response or lack of Vb response is very troublesome and disheartening.

Comment

Then simply downgrade if you have the backup files. I jumped the gun as well, but my user base is more understanding and traffic hasn't been hit at all. Fact of the matter is, you upgraded a live site without testing first ... hopefully you have learned a lesson from this. I don't disagree with your points, but you have to admit, it's just as much your fault as theirs.

Comment

Agreed and lesson learned but the fact remains that these issues should not be so large. And still no Vb comment.

Comment

Marketing

it seems that VB is more concerned with taking our money than delivering a product that works. why not stop offering the product to your customers if it does not do what it says it does. users too often let developers off the hook for releasing "beta" software and charging for it while taking no responsibility for bugs. it would be equally our fault if the software was free, but there is an implied contract of functionality in purchasing the software. My upgrade is a disaster as well. We should not have to do hours of research to find out if the product works when it is for sale. What is wrong with these people that their standards of ethical business are so low and they expect us to hang around. looks like i will be asking for a refund and moving to phpbb where problems are expected, but its free.

Comment