CMS Articles showing in What's New as new post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] CMS Articles showing in What's New as new post

Has anyone figured out the CMS articles and the What's New posting yet? I have members that are not necessarily interested in the Articles and comments made to them. So when they check the Whats New these new artcles and comments show up as "New Artcle" with really no other information. They find it a pain. Is there anyway to have those new artcles and comments not show up in the Whats New without actually turning off that system? If you modify the forum permissions for the cms comments then it blocks everyone from actually seeing the comments or using them. Fixes the problem of them showing up in the Whats New but also defeats the whole system.

I would like the feature on and have users be able to us it but do not see the need to have a post/thread show up in the Whats New informing everyone that someone has left a comment on a CMS article

You could just add a plugin:
    Hook Location: search_getnew_start
    Name: Exclude Articles from New Posts
    PHP Code: $vbulletin->GPC['exclude'] .= ',x';

Change x to the forumid of the articles/comments forum.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks, Lynn. Appreciate that. I will add the hook

EDIT: Cant seem to find that hook location in the dropdown box in "add new plugin"
      Last edited by GuitarsCanada; Mon 25 Jan '10, 1:37pm.

Comment

I don't believe regular members see these notices. At least, I was splaying with promoting articles this morning and my regular account isn't showing any notices of them. In fact, neither is my admin account with the comments mod installed.

Comment

Hmmm, it appears they got rid of it there. I'm not sure, but maybe try the hook 'search_before_process' and use this:
          PHP Code:
          if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'getnew'$vbulletin->GPC['exclude'] .= ',x'
          I have not tried that though, so test it out on a test site.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

Thanks, Lynn. Will load it up to my test site and give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
              Hmmm, it appears they got rid of it there. I'm not sure, but maybe try the hook 'search_before_process' and use this:
              PHP Code:
              if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'getnew'$vbulletin->GPC['exclude'] .= ',x'
              I have not tried that though, so test it out on a test site.
              Didn't work on my site, and I really want to do this, any other way to make it work? the problem is that is showing articles that are programmed for the future

Comment

I also need this, would really appreciate some additional help with the correct plug in. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Videx View Post
                  I don't believe regular members see these notices. At least, I was splaying with promoting articles this morning and my regular account isn't showing any notices of them. In fact, neither is my admin account with the comments mod installed.
                  I was adding articles to a new widget and got many pms from members that they saw these articles in the new posts listing and found it very annoying. Need to find a way to get rid of it.

Comment

To exclude forums in the New Posts/What's New button, you may add "&exclude=xx" or "&exclude=xx,yy,zz" (separate the forumids by commas) to the end of the New Posts/What's New search.php url in the navbar template.... ie. "/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=xx" or "search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=xx" (This occurs in a few places.)

Comment

It would be nice if the link just went directly to an Article rather than a two step notice that splits comments.
                      Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X