Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving forums from /forums folder to root of site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Moving forums from /forums folder to root of site?

might be a n00b question, i apologize.

my forum currently is installed and set on ~~~~.com/forums.

I want to move it to the root,

www.~~~~.com

instead - is there any easy way of doing this without issues?

I too would like to know the answer to this. I know I saw it somewhere before, but I'm having a terrible time finding good useful information in this mountain of data.

With all the "how to" tutorials on here, you would think that one would be A-Z and linked to from the readme.html. I'm going on three days of research now, and my site is still DOWN.

This has been a very disappointing process so far.

Comment

I finally found the post that I was searching for, by using Google. For some reason, Google indexes your site much better than your own software does. That's peculiar!

Comment

Generally, you really don't want your forum in root. Not that anything terrible will happen, I suppose mostly just for the sake of keeping things separated. Instead, just use a redirect to send visitors to the forum. Lots of info here on how to do that using .htaccess or html.

Comment

Help me understand... Currently, those that goto to http://www.WestCoastGearHeads.com will see the CMS as I want them to. Are you suggesting that there is a way to have the CMS at "/" but, the forum in "/forum" ?? Or, are you suggesting that I would need to point everyone to WestCoastGearHeads.com/forum for users to see the CMS.
          WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10

Comment

Originally posted by chobo View Post
            might be a n00b question, i apologize.
            my forum currently is installed and set on ~~~~.com/forums.
            I want to move it to the root,
            www.~~~~.com
            instead - is there any easy way of doing this without issues?
            I'm a noob to vb as well but, will share my experence with changing folders. I can't say it's safe to do but, I can say I have been running for about 30 days with no issue. During testing on my local server, I routinely was able to copy the forum files to another directory with just config.php and vboptions changes since I use the database to store options. Otherwise, I think you have to go into vboptions and make path changes for attchments, etc. then update the counters. If you have made any modifications that rely on a path, you will need to make the changes there as well. I did this testing as I knew that I would need to change folders after my domain name was transferred to the new webhost.
            WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn_E View Post
              Help me understand... Currently, those that goto to http://www.WestCoastGearHeads.com will see the CMS as I want them to. Are you suggesting that there is a way to have the CMS at "/" but, the forum in "/forum" ?? Or, are you suggesting that I would need to point everyone to WestCoastGearHeads.com/forum for users to see the CMS.
              No, currently there is no way to have the CMS in a different folder. I was just pointing out that some people may not want to install the forum in root for various reasons. In my case, I already have a CMS there. Yes, you can install into /yoursite/forum/ and then use htaccess to redirect everyone that types in /yoursite/ so that they will land on /yoursite/forum/ automatically. But again, unless you have future (or, in my case existing) uses for root, it won't hurt anything to install there.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X